Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Pennsylvania Hot Rodders!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by UnkkaBobby, Mar 30, 2020.

1. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

'33 3 window coupe replica. The state of Wisconsin has legal battles underway currently that directly apply to my ability to title/operate my project car as a resident.
    I'm originally a New York'er. Born in Syracuse, raised and graduated in upstate. Factory closed after I was employed there 25+ years and I was offered relocation with the company out in Wisconsin. Currently Wisconsin has struggles with replica cars and if Wisconsin can't get a handle on allowances for replica Street Rods then the wife and I are seriously considering retiring and moving to Pennsylvania. Many factors are at play, being less than 4 hours from family in upstate is a huge consideration. The whole state is open to us for relocation. Folks from PA, Tell me, where is the ongoing streetrod scene alive and active? We are also into live music, custom Harley's, poker runs and bike shows. Pipe in if you will,,,,,,

2. Eastern museum of motor racing, Carlisle Hershey, many cruises and shows in the Susquehanna valley, which is South Central PA, just North of Baltimore MD. MD also has a lot going on. Well, when the nation isn't locked down...

rbrewer, loudbang, Elcohaulic and 6 others like this.
  3. My wife and I moved to Pennsylvania 2 1/2 years ago. There is a lot of activity here in the Carlisle area. Contact some of the people here on the H.A.M.B. A few phone calls will help. Networking is the way to go.

4. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

We travel to Allegheny County(SW PA) from MA several times a year to visit the kids. I thoroughly enjoy the mid state area called Pennsylvania Wilds. Lots of undeveloped beautiful country which appeals to an old country geezer like me. And there is an area there called Weedville which appeals to me for another reason. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you knew that we'ed figure that out - Ha!

6. Surfifty

Surfifty

Another plus with Pa. is that they don’t tax your pension.

7. Lots of activities in central Pa. when we are not being destroyed by a virus.

8. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

That was noticed also! Thanks.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. fleetside66

fleetside66

In eastern PA, we have various events in Macungie, like the annual national meet of the Antique Truck Club of America (free admittance show & swap meet), Das Awkscht Fest (billed as "one of the country's largest antique & classic car shows", with a swap meet), the Wheels of Time Rod & Custom Jamboree (supposedly 2,000 cars, with a swap meet). We also have numerous cruise nights & swap meets all over, including primo events along the Delaware River, separating PA & NJ. There are a huge amount of HAMBers here, as well. I mean, you can't travel too far without tripping over a carcass. We're within 1-3/4 hours from Hershey & a smidgen farther for Carlisle. In Allentown, we have the America On Wheels car & transportation museum, which is well worth the trip. I haven't been there, but now they have some sort of hot rod drag thing set up at the old Allentown Fairgrounds, where they used to have a 1/8 mile(?) dirt track dragstrip back in the 60's. That was a real hoot. The Jalopy Showdown is a couple hours away near Gettysburg & the T.R.O.G is a couple of hours away or so at the NJ shore.

10. Montechris

Montechris

Philly, Pittsburgh, central PA can all be pretty different places depending on what you want. Lots of car guys in the state.

I’m my opinion PA is pretty easy on car guys, if the car is older than 25 you can title it as a antique and your not required to have any emissions or inspections, I think any car pre OBD2 just needs a visual emissions test at this point. It’s pretty easy to find a loophole regardless of your situation and I’ve never heard of police spending too much time worried about modified cars.

based on what you said you like - maybe browse Bethlehem.

loudbang, chevy57dude and UnkkaBobby like this.
  11. Street rods do require a state safety inspection. If you manage to get a antique tag and put it a 25 year or older modified car or street rod type ,you could be in for a unpleasant surprise. Pa has a special street rod tag for such vehicles 1948 and back. There are other aspects and regulations as well. We have a pretty strict safety inspection, especially for newer OT cars. I am a Pa state safety and emission inspector.

12. Just a note from a southern guy - when I was doing site visits through the state for Citi Bank in my previous job -
    I never met so many nice folks that even though they thought I talked funny - they were most helpful to help me and steer me to locate a few yards I could visit as well !

13. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Sir, What is a newer OT car?

loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  14. Newer cars, OBDII etc, the cars most seen on the road every day. OT means off topic (here on the hamb) cars.

15. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Lots of events in Western Pa. I also go into Ohio, West Virginia, and New York.
    Check out a web site called Big Al's List for show ,swap meets etc.

16. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

We find ourselves in PA for more car related stuff than any other state on the east coast. Seems to always be something car related going on up there. Good folks those Pennsylvanians.

17. car doctor

car doctor

I live south of Pittsburgh and there is a car cruise every night of the week during the summer. We travel to Ohio to, something always going on there also.

18. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

South of Pittsburgh also. there are lots of auto related things going on here in W. Pa. we are also in the "TriStateArea", meaning quick trips to Ohio & WV. lots of things to do, lots to see. if you move here, I'll forgo the usual $1 fee for a garage tour, but call first so younse guys can come dahn an we'll talk n'at

19. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Thanks everyone for the responses. Even prior to starting this thread I was getting a feel for the housing market through "Zillow". Found that the southern midstate, generally around the Harrisburg areas looked welcoming. I thank you all once again.

loudbang, chevy57dude and mad mikey like this.
  20. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

Another plus with Pa. is that they don’t tax your pension.[/QUOTE]

But they do have inheritance tax.

loudbang and UnkkaBobby like this.
  21. Graystoke

Graystoke

Highest Gas Tax in the country !!!

22. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

If you want to move to Pa. you can buy my house and then I can leave , LOL . I have a big house and tons of garage space and yes that was a sells pitch.

23. putz

putz
    from wisc.

why not the green plate ?

24. Hellfish

Hellfish

One thing to consider is that PA requires annual inspections for old cars

loudbang, UnkkaBobby and mad mikey like this.
  25. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

loudbang, UnkkaBobby and mad mikey like this.
  26. ^True that gas is higher. Anyone close to Maryland fuels up ''across the line''. Save 30 cents a gallon in MD.
    Haha, @stillrunners thinks we talk funny!

27. Country Joe

Country Joe

I have Antique plates on mine. No inspections . no yearly registration.

28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, we've got you beat in California.

29. Bullit68

Bullit68
    from Verona, PA

We’re a very close second place!

30. If it is the car in your avatar, it has a very stock appearances . There are limitations on the use of a vehicles with antique plates.