Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2020 Banger Meet Thread***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 29, 2020.

1. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

Check the babbitt clearance maybe, adjust the shims if needed? I can tell you it's a pain to do that under the car. Looks good on the video and in the pictures.

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like the headlight bars and headlights...thanks for accommodating me...

Jet96 likes this.
  3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@walls I'd for sure check the drain tube on the rear main to make sure it is clear of anything to keep it from draining....that and make sure it is tight and won't fall off

Jet96 and rwrj like this.
  4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i would check center main !!! most wear is there . crank flex's and gets the center main ......

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I would check and adjust all the bearing clearances. That timing gear set needs to be changed too.

winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  6. walls

walls

I was wondering about the timing gear.
    Has two chips in it.
    Suggestions on whether to replace it with the fiber or aluminum gear?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

I went with aluminum, and cheaped out and kept my stock crank gear. I know folks recommend buying the matched pair, but I couldn't afford it. Maybe I just got lucky, but mine runs nice and quiet, no issues so far.

winduptoy likes this.
  8. railcarmover

railcarmover

all I know is you have to check everything,its always the thing you dont check that gets ya

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  9. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey walls,
    Geeze, did you make that video at a disco or what...ha ! Flashing lights and wavy camers...yikes.
    Anyway, use an aluminum cam gear minimally. Steel crank gear instead of fords 80 old cast iron too.
    If you are flush with $, pop for bronze and matched steel.

winduptoy likes this.
  10. ghalperin

ghalperin

I didn’t try that, but the little clip I made works fine.

11. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Of all the millions of choke cables that have been used in the last 100 years, why is yours the only one that ever needed a retainer to hold it open?

Just askin', you know and not trying to be a wiseass. Not my business I guess and it really doesn't matter to me, but you might want to do a little more pondering.

12. walls

walls

Yeah bad video, was trying to light the inside of the engine with a flash light while recording.
    Looking at the normal suppliers, no one sells a matched set.
    Figuring both are stock size, these should work, no?
    56AE6187-F888-4F49-A0AA-84A1239CD9F3.png D42C1190-0924-4E33-BFAF-A4BF1916A873.png

13. ghalperin

ghalperin

I suspect it’s due to the the cable being less than two feet long and almost being a straight shot, but maybe it’s something much more serious.

14. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I called Dan Mceachern and ordered directly from him,Was little cheaper and shipped really fast.

Old Dawg and brjnelson like this.
  15. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

Dan makes the best gears. call at 510 532-8228

Old Dawg and burl like this.
  16. Absolutely.

John

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. Jiminy

Jiminy

18. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Old Dawg, Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  19. They may be a day ahead but a century behind

Old Dawg, winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

now john , we arent the brightest bulb in the box ............

Old Dawg and Randall like this.
  21. 97

Yeah, Living in the PAST...buggering around with cars made a century ago and expecting any day now to find an improvement , which has never been done before.:rolleyes:

Old Dawg, winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  22. Steve,
    Hot rodding a Banger is fun, racing bangers is just stupid. I found another Gemsa/Morales casting not finished.
    Just ordered guides and seats, this will be fun.

Oh Hell yeah!! I will take working on old cars and tractors every day.
    Side note, not all improvements were improvements, it is amazing to see how inventive the shade tree mechanics were without the internet and funding. I was researching a McDowell single stick the last couple weeks, not much new but ran pretty good.

John

Jet96, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , shade tree is all us poor peeps know . i have built many many race cars & bikes of all kinds using my seat of my pants . had lots of fun & built some fast ones . built drag cars (8-0s, circle track cars (competitive) , drag bikes (7.80,s) . just for fun & to seeif i could do it ! i know you are way pastme , but shade tree's are the root of all racing !!!! ............. much admiration to you

this is fun

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the only thing that bother me is WW2 , i had an ez tour but they did not .
    the internet was forced on us by us !
    i would like to go back to the 20's & work for henry . my grandfather did . worked out good for him .
    we cant choose our parents ............... be safe

25. Steve,
    War by nature is a terrible thing, whats worst is that man has done this to himself for all time.
    I will stop there.
    I would have enjoyed the racing back then, DePalma, Winfield, Goosen, Miller etc.

Short story, one evening I went to dinner at a small diner in Burbank with the family. As I entered, I noticed an older gentleman sitting alone at the counter with a SR71 cap. As I walked past him we made eye contact and I commented to him" there will never be another airplane like that built". He politely asked me why I thought that, I told him that was designed by men with a slide rule and can do attitude, not like today with CAD and safety factors.
    This started up a 30 minute discussion about the SR71, the Gentleman was Robert Gilliland. He was the original test pilot who flew the SR71, for years, still to that day held the record for most hours over mach 2 and 3.
    I read that he passed last year, even so, every time I go into that diner I look around to see if there is Hero eating by himself.

John

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

before all closed , i had coffee at a place that 4 vets always came . 3 were cool , but 1 worked on sr71 . he would not even acknowledge that there was a sr . i worked as a civilian at a base thathad the sr in the 60's . i watched them daily . very secret then , but now not so much . someone put a stick up his butt & he still has it ! when i first went in , i worked on the early warning air craft ( patrolled the entire west coast ) . now that was a top secret system . no satellites yet . looking for Russians & who ever ....
    we have been there / done that / & got the damn "T" shirt ............. be safe

Jet96 likes this.
  27. Glenn, don't buy that Nurex, I have one, it works and serves its purpose, but sticks out like a sore dick. I have a beautiful stainless yet to be installed. Bought at LB model T swap last year. Let me look through my stuff and see if I saved his contact info, he had quite a few at the swap. Or you could just take the marks off the Nurex and fab your own quite easily. Also, right behind you on that pedal swap....on my list too!

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

*** speed heads are cast . just took a lion head of my car (7-1) , put a snyder 6-1 , calmed down the power & made it a better daily driver

29. 97

I guess it's not over until it's over! 18 months and climbing!