Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Schroeder steering box info request

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rodolphe, Mar 30, 2020.

1. rodolphe

rodolphe

Hi members. Hope everybody are in good health regarding that bloody virus infection all around the world !!!! at least it gives us time to work on our cars.
    I have an issue. Maybe this question has been ask already.... I bought a Schroeder box to a guy in France to mount on my 32 roadster. It's a 6/1 ratio...but what the seller forgot to tell me is that it's a right hand drive or shaft exit unit !!!! I know that unfortunatly the Schroeder company is out of business since 2017 2018 and that Ididit took over. I emailed them but regarding the epidemy, they are not working for now. They told me they'll come back to me asap but does anyone know if it's possible to change the gears in the box to inverse the rotation and doing so, set the box at the right position, and if it's also possible to change the ratio to 8/1. Is it the same housing ? Some boxes have 3 screws top and bottom, some others have 4. it's very difficult to find blue print of the boxes, i'd like to check that i have no missing parts and the proper way to assemble everything. I read somewhere that some have a 15/1 steering ratio....and a steering reducer exists too.
    If anyone could give me infos, drawings, links pictures of their settings in a 32 that would allow me to decide if i keep on this path or if i switch back to my previous Vega box. Looking forward to read fro you that would be very very kind.
    Be safe. Rod.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Gofannon

Gofannon

It's all in the gears. They determine ratio and left or right depending on which way they are cut, but the box can be reversed as well. Mount the box where it works well then find the gears to suit your application. I'm only aware of 6:1 and 8:1.

3. tractorguy

tractorguy

4. tractorguy

tractorguy

Sorry.....not sure what happened to my response earlier. Do you have any sprint car racers in your area ? Those Schroeder boxes were used on a gazillion dirt track sprint cars and modifieds. Also, Speedway Motors in Lincoln Neb. may be able to help......get somebody on the line who could possibly get you the parts or talk to some of the restoration guys in the Museum. Good luck.

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

Another idea......search for the huge sprint car thread on the Hamb and pose your questions. Lots of old racers and builders on that thread, although it has been pretty inactive lately.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Less than an hour....

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gents, I have to believe that he is in Europe somewhere and there are no sprint cars.
    A search shows that there are no easy to find diagrams and I couldn't find anything on someone showing the rebuilding of one.
    All I can find on the Ididit website is that they are making the quick release hubs. I can't find anything on the steering box
    This is the only photo I found of the insides of one or at least what I believe to be the insides. I can find no other photo of one that was taken apart to try to figure things out. cowl steer innards ..jpg

tractorguy likes this.
  9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Steering ratio is adj. by arm length as you pretty much stuck with those gears. You are using it for somthing that is was not really meant for. I ran these on midgets racers with the pitman arm on the left and some outlaw mini sprints with the pitman on the right by just rotating the whole box 180*, of coarse the steering shaft moves from to to bottom

tractorguy likes this.
  10. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

I have one of those units,its a narrow thing.
    Maybe for a dragster?
    I would sell it..

11. Can’t you just unbolt the steering shaft retainer bolts and rear cover if they’re the same bolt pattern and turn the complete assembly end for end.
    I reversed a series 2 landrover box the same way to get the pitman arm to travel correctly for RHD.
    Just a thought.

12. Gofannon

Gofannon

Yes you can. But it puts the steering shaft on the opposite side of the pitman shaft. If you want to change that you need to get gears that are cut for the other rotation. It depends on how you want to mount it.

13. rodolphe

rodolphe

Hi guys and thanks for the answers and interest.
    I'm indeed in a place where there is no midget racing happening..... France !!!
    So that make things even more complicated...
    I can turn the box upside down, that what the seller intended to do but he didn't told me so before and that's not the proper way to set those boxes. The steering shaft should be on top and especially in a 32 otherwise, if i want to keep a correct column angle and steering wheel postion so as to get a comfortable driving position it's not gonna work that way. The column is going to be way too low below the instrument panel and much too vertical.
    Mr Forlano at Ididit told me he would come back to me once the contagion is over but i think it's not gonna be anytime soon and i'd like to get as much infos about the Schroeder box as possible, i like to get to know what i use, the story behind the makers, the different options, models etc....
    So for now i think and hope that once they get back to activitie, i'll be able to by the correct gears, turning in the right direction and maybe change the ratio. You can invert the steering shaft and you get it on the down position, but you can't invert the pitman shaft because there is a cap just on one side (picture) and that is the problem.
    Regarding the steering ratio, i thought that it was determined by the angle of the teeth of the pig tail and the pinion, not the length....
    My other option if Ididit can't help me would be to bring the gears to a machine shop and have them build some new one....
    I'm gonna look at all the links you sent me and that i thank you all for and post infos as i get some as well, might help another "ignorant donkey" like me.
    Be safe and take care. Regards to you all. Rod;

14. When I built my friends model T I had to send the entire unit to Schroeder, I was told at the time every single steering box assembly is made to order for the specific application it's being installed in. All of the internals are also made to order for repairs or alterations. They offered a steering ratio multiplier at one time that basically bolted in place of the cover where the steering shaft entered the gear. It was an additional 2:1 gear set to turn the existing 8:1 worm gear into a 16:1. If you are able to actually get that part and just the gears I would be surprised since who knows what ididit is going to offer.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    tractorguy likes this.
  15. The billet ratio reducer assembly has a 2:1 gear set in it and I was told it runs about $900.00 USD at the time, approximately 5 years ago.
    DSCN4063.JPG

16. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I too found the time lag somewhat surprising.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  17. rodolphe

rodolphe

I'd love to mount this reducer but when you find one it's most of the time in a speed shop who keeps it for private use wich is understandable. I'm studying the thread that Dana Barlow gave me regarding the post by mr Eastwood
    and it is very informative indeed though very long... still many pages to read. Another possibility would be to use the Afco reducer the seller gave me with the box, the inside is nearly the same, just need to find a good worshop to lath the housing and that could solve one issue...but not the side of the pitman shaft. I'll have to wait till Ididit gives me more infos. [​IMG] [​IMG]

ruppi1932 and tractorguy like this.
  18. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

I thought they called it a ratio doubler on the old Schroeder site, thanks for the photo. You do know the Chevrolet vega was manufactured from '71-77....?

19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

FD59B985-16E9-4054-B300-2DF2FF523866.jpeg

As you can see, didn’t get the pitman arm right the first time!

20. Urban Maissen

Urban Maissen

[QUOTE = "rodolphe, post: 13510336, member: 304158"] Hallo Leute und danke für die Antworten und das Interesse.
    Ich bin in der Tat an einem Ort, an dem kein Zwergenrennen stattfindet ..... Frankreich !!!
    Das macht die Sache noch komplizierter ...
    Ich kann die Box auf den Kopf stellen, was der Verkäufer vorhatte, aber er hat es mir vorher nicht gesagt, und das ist nicht die richtige Art, diese Boxen einzustellen. Die Lenkwelle sollte oben sein und besonders in einer 32 sonst, wenn ich einen korrekten Säulenwinkel und eine korrekte Lenkradposition beibehalten möchte, um eine bequeme Fahrposition zu erhalten, wird es nicht so funktionieren. Die Säule wird viel zu tief unter der Instrumententafel und viel zu vertikal sein.
    Herr Forlano von Ididit sagte mir, er würde zu mir zurückkehren, sobald die Ansteckung vorbei ist, aber ich denke, es wird nicht so bald sein und ich möchte so viele Informationen wie möglich über die Schroeder-Box erhalten, ich möchte wissen, was Ich benutze die Geschichte hinter den Machern, die verschiedenen Optionen, Modelle usw.
    Im Moment denke und hoffe ich, dass ich, sobald sie wieder aktiv sind, die richtigen Gänge einlegen, in die richtige Richtung drehen und vielleicht das Übersetzungsverhältnis ändern kann. Sie können die Lenkwelle umdrehen und sie in die untere Position bringen, aber Sie können die Lenkstockwelle nicht umdrehen, da sich nur auf einer Seite eine Kappe befindet (Bild), und das ist das Problem.
    In Bezug auf das Lenkverhältnis dachte ich, dass es durch den Winkel der Zähne des Schweineschwanzes und des Ritzels bestimmt wurde, nicht durch die Länge ....
    Meine andere Möglichkeit, wenn Ididit mir nicht helfen kann, wäre, die Zahnräder zu einer Maschinenwerkstatt zu bringen und sie ein neues bauen zu lassen ...
    Ich werde mir alle Links ansehen, die du mir geschickt hast, und dass ich dir allen dafür danke und Infos poste, wenn ich auch welche bekomme, könnte einem anderen "ignoranten Esel" wie mir helfen.
    Sei sicher und pass auf dich auf. Grüße an euch alle. Rod; [/ QUOTE]

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

22. Urban Maissen

Urban Maissen

Bonne journée Rodolphe
    I have the opposite problem with my Schröeder-Box. I need one for right hand drive. Did you get an answer
    from Ididit ? The Schröeder-Boxes are rare in Swizerland
    A gear exchange would be an option for me. If you are indrested please contact me.

23. The inline ones can speed up or reduce. depending which way you mount them

24. rodolphe

rodolphe

Hi there. Ididit told me weeks ago that they have the yoke and gear in a 8/1 ratio available and in the opposite direction so i would get a left output of the shaft with a 8/1 gear ratio that would allow me to get everything the way i want. I sent them a new message with a few more pictures and the accurate dimensions of the parts i have to get really sure that it's fine but i didn't get any answer lately. The parts are 250.00 $ plus shipping plus the VAT and the custom fees so i don't want to order something that will cost around 500 $and might not mount.
    I'd be ok to do an exchange no problem, what is you box gear ratio ? My gear and yoke are in fairly good condition but not brand you as you can imagine. You can send me pictures of your stuff and i can send pictures of mine.
    Looking forward to read from you. Regards. Rod.

25. Qwiktime products in California are reproducing a version of the Schroder steering box and have direct replacement gears in both 6 and 8 to 1 ratios availabe,see attached photo. further phots and information can be found on their Facebook page. Currently under development is a steering muliplier that will mount to the 4 bolt boxes.
    Contact details
    West Evans
    West Evans motorsports
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

orbitup and markjaramillo like this.
  26. rodolphe

rodolphe

Hi Stuart, thanks very much for your answer, i'm in touch with them since last thursday and we are working things out regarding my request.... too bad i have a 3 bolts box as i'm trying to build (rebuild...) my car with as many "original 'parts as possible so i want to use mine but their products appears to be great indeed.
    Have a good week. Regards. Rod.

27. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

You may have several reasons for NOT just staying with right side exit, but if there are no serious clearance issues inside, maybe just go with right side steering exit? just a thought.

28. rodolphe

rodolphe

Hi Ron. Two reasons for me wanting to change and the first one is the ratio. I have a 6/1 ratio wich is very direct. So because i mainly want to change the ratio, i take at the same time the opportunity to have it exit on the left with the control column on top of the shaft.