Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finished working the fender this morning. Turned out niiiiice.
    upload_2020-3-28_19-29-3.png
    Weld, grind, repeat as necessary
    upload_2020-3-28_19-29-59.png
    Add filler neck, leaving room for body filler, paint and clear (no flat black on this truck). Make sure it is clocked in the right position so the cap looks cool
    upload_2020-3-28_19-33-0.png
    Looks cool, I'll build the filler pipe once this fender is mounted up.
    Also started the bed construction. Used screws to hold it together for now. I will rivet it together once this stupid virus thing is past and I can get some help. For now this will have to do so I can figure out the wheel offset.
    upload_2020-3-28_19-35-39.png
    Saturday in the garage! Could be worse, could be stuck inside with the wife.
    upload_2020-3-28_19-39-58.png

Attached Files:

fauj, kidcampbell71, Aaron D. and 6 others like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drilled and screwed the bed together. I will remove the screws and buck the rivets in place once it is socially acceptable to have some help. Until them I have work to do. One of the major tasks is to mount the fenders, measure for offset and order the wheels and tires this week.
    upload_2020-3-29_21-25-41.png
    This thing is gong to sit low. Needs 29-31" tall rubber in the back. Those Olds tires are only 27".
    Up front the paint rollers are 26.5". I will order something closer to 25" should be a cool rubber rake and the tire diameters will fill those rear fenders.
    upload_2020-3-29_21-28-47.png
    You can see the wheels need to come out a bit. Those are 4" back spaced wheels and I have a 1" spacer behind them. The posi is only 56.5" wide. They still need to come out another 1-2". Im thinking I will likely end up somewhere around 2-2.5" back spacing on a chrome reverse wheel in back. I'll pull the tires and wheels off tomorrow night and work on an accurate set of measurements. Love the Hot Wheels look of the redlines and magnums but time to get real.
    upload_2020-3-29_21-32-47.png
    Mock up nearing completion. Love the new bed. Tail gate drops well above the plate/guards/back up light.
    This is the first time I have had it assembled and I like it!

If Russ is working this week I will drop the hood and bed fillers off for louvers. As soon as I have my measurements taken I will rip that rusty fender off the left side and have it blasted and put some epoxy primer on it. I want to work on a filler pipe from the new flip cap to the tank to minimize the rubber connector. A 2" pipe will fit snug inside the welded threaded bung and the tank is also 2" so this should be easy.

Still have one the right tail light to cut in. I made a pattern tonight from the left fender.

Back to work in the AM. No rest for the weary. Stay thirsty, stay sane, and stay healthy my friends. BB

kidcampbell71, Tim, Hotrodmyk and 6 others like this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Maybe it's just the angle the picture was taken from, but it looks like the rear bumper sticks out a long way! Remember to quench your thirst with water, instead of your beloved Crown Royal. :rolleyes:

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you are standing there looking at it from the side is not so bad but I admit those rear shots make it look ridiculous.
    upload_2020-3-30_10-20-28.png
    I have given thought to pulling that rear bumper in a couple of inches but because truck bumper brackets are dropped so the tail gate doesn't hit the bumper guards, they are also hard to find a place to chop them. The best place I have found is where the bolt is that binds the 2 brackets together. The Wizzard was over one afternoon PCV (Prior to the Corona Virus) and he had the same thought early on.

As for this...water?...you speak of, I've tried it. I found it to be a sobering experience and much over rated.

One of my buddies sent me a text over the weekend, he said his house was starting to feel like Vegas; He is losing shit loads of money, drinking is acceptable at any hour and no one knows what time it is.

5. Vegas,,,,,,now that is funny !!!

Tommy

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my golf bag resting in the garage while thumb recovers from surgery...I have issues.
    upload_2020-3-30_11-17-9.png

7. George

George

just tell them it's for the Continental kit!;)

Atwater Mike, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. Dang George! Why did you give him that idea? Next he's going to be talking Spot Lights and Fender Skirts.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be completely transparent, I did PM Wizzard the other night about appletons. Hey, in my defense there is already a hole in the right A pillar from a light mounted decades ago. His advice was Hell no and told me to weld up the hole. LOL. But I never asked about fender skirts...Or mirror muffs Doug! :cool:

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Billy, It might look nice with dual side mounts.

12. Marty, I think your the only Guy with enough talent to pull that off. I think it would look better on Your Truck.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The PO had drilled some holes for toggle switches in the seat pedestal which isn't an easy task when the thing is mounted in the truck. Needless to say they weren't straight and I am a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like that (I know that is hard to believe). Last week I scored a cool vintage switch panel of the HAMB classifieds from @adam401 (thanks Adam!)
    Using the plasma cutter I cutout the mis-drilled holes and added the new (old) switch panel in the front of the seat riser along with the kill switch.
    upload_2020-4-5_22-16-36.png
    The kill switch is the same 4 post switch I used in my Roadster and will be wired to kill a running engine. Everything, including the Alternator and fuse panel power runs through this switch.
    upload_2020-4-5_22-18-39.png
    There will be a grommet added to the floor hole. Working on primary wiring circuits for a start up maybe next weekend. I have another PC925 Odyssey battery coming that will be mounted under the seat. I need to pick up a 2 wire weather proof connector tomorrow to wire the in-tank pump so it can be disconnected for service of the tank.
    Starter is wired, just need to run a primary ignition circuit and battery ground. So far all the wiring was left over from the 34 so that's cool.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^I did look at them the other day. The clamp on brackets wouldn't work but I could make a set of brackets like I did the reverse light in back. They would look better lower, kind of at the same height as the bumper guards I'm thinking. I like the clamp mounts but they weren't spendy, just put them on the shelf with all the other stuff I need to sell.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pic was pretty low res but I think it gives you a feel of what it kind of looks like...

Any fixes for the Back Bumped out Bumper?...I think the Bumper Guards are the Culprit for getting it in tighter...I'm thinking without going back and looking at it though...

Hey...Maybe you can move it forward and have it tilt down with some fancy pins when down with the gate and Up gate and up bumper back and repin...Just thinking...and it hurts a little...:D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the pic, when you are standing in front they don't look that tall, but when you move back they sure do. Keep urging me in the right direction. I can get going on 10 things all at the same time and forget to put my pants on some days.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I wouldn’t move the fog lights until you have the hood on. Your proportions will change drastically with it on

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also have you got a link to your cut off switch? I’ve seen a lot of them that seem pretty hokey so I’ve hesitated to use one but that looks like a pretty solid switch

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It isn't cheap, but then again f it was I wouldn't trust it. I put on one on the 34 and I stuck one of my 442. I have yet to have any issues. It is a go to piece for my on every build.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324056186761
    upload_2020-4-6_10-50-10.png

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man!

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

loudbang, Bandit Billy and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Mr. Billy has a way with getting it Right...;)

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You wasted your money, you can get one for half that from The Hoffman Group.:eek:

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just hung up after placing my order for tires and wheels! Red letter day! It'll be a few weeks as the rear wheels are special order. Went with a Wheel Vintique chrome 64 and reversed the rears (2" backspace) 15X8" and a set of 15X5" chrome 64's up front with 3" BS. If I did the math right this should be cool. They are mounting them on BF Goodrich wide whites 255/70 in back and 185/70 up front. those have 3" and 2.25% whitewalls respectively.

I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning now. In the meantime I have a hemi to start and burn in. Back to he wiring after work tonight.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Passenger car tail lights. The PO had already cut the left fender so I had to match his work to the right side.
    I still may brace the hole. When the PO tightened the nuts securing the light he broke the lens. The truck fenders seem pointier than passenger cars. You truck guys run into that before?
    Some pictures to keep it real. Damn, I really like the way the rear end of this truck is coming together.
    upload_2020-4-7_19-15-23.png
    And the cracked lens. I purchased some new blue dot lenses for it when I do the final assembly. If anyone needs one spare non blue dot lens, I'm your huckleberry.
    upload_2020-4-7_19-16-33.png

27. Hay, that Old pile of parts is starting to look pretty dang good. Ya, well done.

loudbang, Hombre and Bandit Billy like this.
  28. Rckt98

Rckt98

Are those marks on the roof lines for a chop?

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if they are they weren't made by me! They were present when I acquired the truck. I have no plans to chop it, I need all the room I can spare in there.

30. Billy,,,this is really gonna be sweet,,,,I can see it coming together very,,very nice .
    You are adding a lot of nice details !

Tommy