Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who do I send my Rochester Quadrajet to have rebuilt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Never opened one up, heard they are daunting.

Mines off a '70 LS5 engine, not looking for a "restore", but someone you all know and trust to rebuild what I have and send me the same thing back.

Thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll have to say they aren't one you want to learn on unless you have an expert guiding you.
    I'm thinking that we have a member who has a reputable shop that does them but the name slips my mind right now.

3. Budget36

Budget36

Yes, agree from what I know.. Done a few Holleys, a few newer Edelbrocks, my understanding is the Rochesters are a bit involved to do correctly.

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Budget36 ....you want our fellow HAMBER @carbking . I am pretty sure that is who @Mr48chev is trying to recall. An experience I am all to familiar with o_O

Ray

lothiandon1940 and Budget36 like this.
  6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

7. Budget36

Budget36

I thought @carbking was out of the rebuild and just selling kits and giving his advice? I'm all in for him to do it.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This book, and a good carb kit. 20200328_200117.jpg

9. lothiandon1940 and Budget36 like this.
  10. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I have had a few rebuilt by Van's carburetor in Indianapolis In. Did a nice Job.

11. They are not that hard to rebuild. If I can do it.....
    Get the book or maybe even U tube? as a backup.

12. Budget36

Budget36

I feel ya, but...from what I have heard, I may very well be wrong, going into a Q-jet is like going into an Auto trans. Maybe I was scared away long ago, but at some point in life I feel it's better to send it to those who really know how to do it.

Thanks

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neither is actually difficult.

TA DAD, INVISIBLEKID and Black_Sheep like this.
  14. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Not that difficult as everyone makes them out to be,obviously more complicated than a 2gc, Cliff Ruggles is your guy for Qjets,

Josh the Painter likes this.
  15. So, is this a working carb that just needs a tune up, or a box of parts, or????

16. Don't be a scared! You sound like like 37 kid with wiring! Get a kit, Get a book, go on line.......
    You can do it. Don't underestimate yourself.
    You'll never know what you can do, until you try.
    As far as "heard"....... That's probably from those who punked out, and just gave up.
    Are we a hot rodder, or are we not?;)

500caddy, Hnstray and Budget36 like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

It was a working Carb from '70 to '78, I pulled it off and changed intake and to a Holley, So has been on the shelf (rafters actually) for 40 years.

I started on the Corvette Forum years ago, but seems (because it's a Vette carb) I could only get a restorer.

18. Joe H

Joe H

There is no magic about them, just a few moving parts. I would do for you if you were closer, the main thing is getting it clean. The rest is just setting float level and choke adjustments. Grab a spare one and pull it apart and see whats in them, you will be surprised at how easy they are to work on. Cliff is so backed up, they are no longer accepting them. Hs book is well worth the money, or Doug Roe's if you can find one.

lothiandon1940 and Budget36 like this.
  19. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Q-jets have some problem areas such as the throttle shafts wear the holes in the base plate oversize but they can be repaired with some light machining and adding bushings. Also there are soft plugs in the bottom of the main body that tend to leak and they can be fixed with plug kits that have been on the market for at least 40 years. There was also a problem with the floats sinking, but the new rebuild kits surely have the updated floats. If your carb hasn't seen much use, you may not have the throttle plate wear issue.
    I just spent about 4 hours today trying to get an 1850 series Holley apart and to remove the original bowl and metering block gaskets. The carb sat on an engine for about 25 years. You might run into some of that also.

Steve Ray, lothiandon1940 and lippy like this.
  21. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

22. Budget36

Budget36

Great link.

The Edelbrock is darn near like taking a monojet Rochester apart, inside of it is pretty simple...not sure a diagram is even needed. The one I did last year was a 1410 or 11? a 750CFM I used to fire up the engine. not a replacement for a Q-jet.

Josh the Painter likes this.
  23. This!
    Buy this book, if your only doing a kit it's simple.

Check the well plugs for seepage. This can be a problem however nowhere near as problamatic as people suggest.

Put a straight edge on everything to make sure it's not warped, body, base plate and top plate.

New gaskets, check emulsion tubes are clean and in place in the top plate ( they drop down sometimes).

Check for wear in throttle shafts as already mentioned.

Check the vac diaphragm for secondairy air flaps is working.

They're an awesome carb, you respect how clever they were once you get your head around it.

Id suggest install the basket style fuel filter.

The Cliff Ruggles book is great but some of the suggested jetting is a bit on the rich side depending on engine. If using original jetting that does not matter to you.

I bought all my parts through quadrajetparts.com.

Cheers,
    Josh

rbrewer and Budget36 like this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shawn Murphy in Huntington Beach. SMI ... He is always behind but one of the best in the business...... Look him up

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

In 1964, my boss at the gas station did one on his desk. Told me, "Nothing to it. Only 176 parts." :)
    I never tried to find out how many parts it really has but I figured if he can do it, I can too. I've rebuilt several over the years. Nothing to it. The carb kit has the info you need.

Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. i had a great experiance with a place out of plainsview, tx called eagle eye parts. the guy told me there will be a one year warranty on all the work done. i laughed and said it will be about 3 years before its on the road. he told me to call him back once i get it together and he will start the warranty from that date.

greener200 likes this.
  27. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Do it yourself, make sure to replace shaft bushings

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have never seen a carb kit that has a float, they come separately. I would make sure the float you buy is brass, not the fiber type that you see a lot.

29. BJR

BJR

As said throttle shafts and seal the plugs in the well. Most kits come with a foam block that seals the well plugs, but I have seen them sealed with JB weld, or both. Other than those 2 things, not much difference than any other carb. Clean, clean, blow out passages, replace parts taken apart and replace the float.

bill gruendeman likes this.
  30. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If I just had a nickel for everyone I have rebuilt , I’d buy myself a better garage . They are super easy , but it’s like riding a bicycle , first couple times is rough , then it’s old hat . As stated , shaft bushings are a must , if not worn they will and fix it while your into it . Same with well plugs . I have fixed all my later rebuilds with a fresh peening with a SMALL hammer and JB Weld . The float is money that has to be spent . I just did one for a Buddy on a GTO , the kit came with a new float , it was worse than the OEM float , total junk . Buy the best you can , you will way ahead to do so now . The choke linkage will drive you nuts , they can be a bear x10 until you understand
    the proper way to attack them . Later married housings have a couple seals the must be installed correctly or you’ll again go nuts lookin fora vacuum leak . Good Luck , PM me if you get in a jam I’ll help the best as I can

RICH B, INVISIBLEKID and Algoma56 like this.