Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stove bolt Chevy rear end swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Been chasing this horrible growling noise, in the rear end of this 1954 Chevy for some time now. Originally thought torque tube bushing, but that all checked out good
    Finally pulled the axle shafts and found right side splines cracked
    Heard about quite a few guys swapping in a Power Glide 3:55 axle assembly, for better highway driving
    Was just going to get a new/used axle shaft and a friend called and offered me the complete unit from his 1953 Chevy project
    Score!!!
    Can’t wait to do the swap and see how the old girl drives
    Keep you posted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I don't believe I've seen anything like that axle before. Twists, breaks, yes, chunks fractured out, never. How, why?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Hnstray and studebaker46 like this.
  4. Hnstray likes this.
  5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I’m like every one else, I have never seen chunks of the splines missing

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hey Fellas, keep in mind this car has been in the same SC family since 1956. How many people learned to drive in this old girl. Probably rocking the clutch and possible stuck in mud?? Either way, someone smarter than me, mentioned the sharp edges/stress risers design. Needless to say, this is a thing of the past.
    Was going to just slam it in, but might as well order some rear bushings and a torque tube seal. Already have the axle seals and bearing, but a Stovebolt guy told me to leave the bearings alone. Only has 45k
    Plus, like so many others, I've got plenty of time on my hands.
    JT

7. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I'm with you Butch. That axle looks like it came from a "c " clip rearend.

8. Yes it is, but swapping in the PG rear, to take advantage of better highway gears.
    Going from 4:10 to 3:55...I hope.
    Will definitely check the ratio, when rear cover comes off.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

How many trans has that car gone thru Lol. Car has been subject to left foot slide?

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I kinda wonder what the side gears look like? The other "strangest" thing on rear ends I've seen, was on a 49-54 Chevrolet rear end also. The actual driveshaft, that resides inside the torquetube, is made by winding flat steel around a form, then welding it up, and finishing it off, so it looks like one piece of tubing (???); why so much work, who knows? Anyway, this one driveshaft came "un-spiraled", and was the strangest looking thing to come out of a rear end. Why tubing was't used, rather than the spiraling flat stock and welding/finishing made little sense.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Butch, Other reason I am opting to swap out entire 3rd member. God only knows, how much bearing damage, all those fragments did. If I go to all the trouble to replace axle shafts and it still makes noise, I would scream!!
    JT
    P.S. because I wasn't totally familiar, with the problem, a few years ago, I purchased the torque tube front bushing and installation tool. If anyone want's them, I will make you a sweet deal.