Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Right Crimper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 26, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Are any of these crimper positions the correct one for these terminals? 0326201312_HDR.jpg

rustynutz likes this.
  2. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have the one on the left and like it. Not sure if it’s the right one for the job . The nib ( male)goes to the back side and flaps on the terminal go to the rounded side ( female). The one on the right is for plug wires I think.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks Bill, yeah that's my go to for the usual crimps but when I do these it looks like a 5 year old did it.

4. oldolds

oldolds

I was told the indentation is supposed to be on the opposite side of the split in the terminal. I have both kind as well. Usually go for the left side pair. I seldom use ends like you show. Usually use the kind that are round already.

3340, Budget36 and rockable like this.

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The connectors you show in your photo, one set of tabs is for the conductor and the other set is for the insulation. I don't know if it is correct but using that type of connector, I always bend the ears over on to the stripped conductor using needle nosed pliers, then crimp...

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Mine look like a 4 year old did them so you better than me, that’s what they make heat stink tubing for

blowby likes this.
  7. Mimilan

Mimilan

Paul,
    For Packard terminals the crimp needs to double fold inwards.
    You need a crimper with the peak in the centre of one side so they fold inwards.
    Packard Terminal Crimper.jpg
    Wire Crimper.gif

You need a wire stripper as well :D

Wire Stripper.PNG

8. jaracer

jaracer

Just bought the correct crimper from O'Reilly's for $32.00. The part number is SG 18600.

When I worked for Freightliner we had all the crimping tools in kits for Packard 56 terminals (that's what you were showing) and other terminals used in the truck wiring. The Packard tools are still available, but they are around $100.00. I just tried the O'Reilly tool and it works perfect.

9. I'm sorry, but did you make that "wire stripper" just for this thread???
    Too funny!

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. I'll get the correct ones, not in any hurry.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I used those style terminals for everything on my RPU.

They’re the best way to make connections as the other guys have said the small ears grab the wire and the large ones crimp to the insulation for strain relief.

I also used a short piece of dual wall (glue lined) heat shrink on them.

They’re vastly superior to other crimp connectors, there’s a reason why the OEM s use them.

Those style connections can be hard to find, I found American Autowire had a good selection and you can order them through Summit.

I bought their set of crimping tools, a good investment that made wiring my RPU
    a lot easier and did a top quality job.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Cheeta, A 2 B and dwollam like this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Don’t get me started on crimps! Lol ........ I crimp and solder and heat shrink! Been doing it for 40+ years with success! But I was told here on the HAMB, I have been doing it wrong! I have several crimp tools! I use the one that best fits the terminal and wire. I have never had one of my thousands of connections ever fail! Must be doing something right!

Bones

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Bones,Lol. The tool should have the insulation and the wire crimps in the same direction so don't have to keep rotating the tool?

A 2 B and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I never use “ insulated” terminals! If I am forced to use one, I remove the insulation! You cannot crimp a terminal with insulation on it! It is impossible! I am a uninsulated terminal guy that crimps the terminal as properly as possible, I have at least a half a dozen crimping tools, then I hit it with some solder, then cover it with heat shrink. But proper soldering techniques are very important!

Bones

vtx1800, Cosmo49, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  15. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I also use nothing but uninsulated terminals and shrink tube. The crimp tool of choice for me is this one: https://www.jensentools.com/eclipse...per-for-red-blue-yellow-terminals/p/711pl0002
    I have a number of inserts for the jaws that are specific to the type of terminal I am installing, it does pin connectors(Packard) in one operation. I have been purchasing my terminals from Waytek, I prefer not use solder.
    Jim

VANDENPLAS and A 2 B like this.
  16. You can order the Packard terminals form mouser electronics. The spelling might not be correct. You can use them no solder required. In the factory we could do a wire repair and never have an issue. They are expensive. The Packard pliers will crimp the insulated terminals nicely. I take the plastic off with the rotating wire brush.

jaracer, A 2 B and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. sleepchamber

sleepchamber

Well....i have never seen uninsulated terminals at the auto parts store...or i have not been looking. Learned something new again.

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It’s kinda my pet peeve, insulted terminals! I have seen real nice electrical systems in vehicles, color coded, routed nicely, labeled etc, then I see that they used crappy crimp pliers on an insulated terminal! I about up chuck! Really. Over the years I have acquired thousands of uninsulated terminals. Last Summer I bought a quart jar full of them at a flea market for $5.
    Wether you decide to solder or not, use the proper crimping tool on uninsulated terminals and follow up with a good quality heat shrink! Makes for a good connection, it will last forever and looks marvelous!

Just my .02 , after a 33 year career working with a fleet that has a lot of wires! Lol

Bones

19. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I do have a few other crimpers but my "go to" set I've had for 50 years, made by Essex Terminals who made wire harnesses for the big 3. We never soldered wire terminals. DSC05870.JPG DSC05874.JPG DSC05880.JPG The wire is stripped to length allowing it to be crimped separately than the insulation.

There sometimes seems to be a little confusion about "insulated". When I refer to insulation, I'm talking about the wire covering, not the plastic ends on cheap aftermarket terminals, which I have no use for.

EDIT: Great video Blue One, explains it well.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    VANDENPLAS and Blue One like this.
  20. jaracer

jaracer

Del City is another source. They also have the connector bodies.

A 2 B likes this.
  21. I see so many crimps in my line of work, most are insulated and hold well if they are crimped correctly and you have sufficient strain relief. We are a bug about tool calibration and training at work. Remember the days when we stripped wire with a Bic lighter and two fingers? Crimps were done with cutting pliers.

A 2 B, VANDENPLAS and pprather like this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Those “daul” crimp terminal are great, but hard to find. Those use the first crimp for the wire for electrical connection and the second crimps the wires insulation to “ spread” the flexing of the wire, so that it doesn’t break right at the first crimp joint.
    By using simple uninsulated terminals and crimping and soldering, or not and putting a heat shrink on the terminal and wires insulation, you accomplish the same thing. The heat shrink “ supports” the wire, spreading out the flex, so that is doesn’t break at the terminal.

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Soldering sure couldn't hurt, but being in a fast paced production environment we couldn't justify the time or expense.
    My son recently showed me a very nice pair of crimpers he uses for work. He is a machine repair man. They had a whole lot more capability/versatility than anything I ever used. I'll ask him for some more details but I know they had to cost more than I would be willing to spend.
    Using a simple set like in my pic, there are quite a few different operations that can be done, not readily apparent for prepping or custom/odd terminals.

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. 2D11D131-6461-47C8-B4C2-AB96EDFEB9A9.jpeg

I bought this set at princess auto, Canada’s version of harbour freight.

works very well on all types of crimp connections.

I’ve done thousands of crimps with insulated connectors and the “ fancy ones with the heat shrink already in them, without failure.

rhe big thing is buying quality crumps, the cheap ones are just that ..... CHEAP !!!
    They fold and bend etc.

a quality crimp connection with quality wire and a good tool makes a great crimp

C6892982-5A3D-4B4D-9CFE-1F196F06D5A6.jpeg

these are my go to crumpets for most jobs.

A 2 B and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That, my friends it the correct answer! A quality crimp! Sometimes that is a little difficult to accomplish. But one easy back yard test you can perform, while working for yourself, is to see if you can pull the wire out of the terminal. Give it a “ good” pull! If it comes out.... bad crimp! I have had some “ factory” crimps cause a bad connection! Just because it was crimped at some factory don’t assume it’s a perfect crimp.

That’s why I crimp and solder! Not telling anyone to do it, as I have been informed it is not the proper way. But on my shit, it’s going to get both crimp and solder and then a heat shrink! It’s hard to teach old dogs new tricks! Lol

Bones

26. Budget36

Budget36

I've a few pairs of Molex crimpers that do the same thing, but for smaller stuff, I also have just had the light bulb come on and know what that other crimper I have is for!

I also hate crimping over a plastic insulator, looks like shit when done, even with my Kliens, the plastic will want to squish out some.

I too, long ago just went with non-insulated ones and heatshrink or tape, depending what I have nearby.

Boneyard51 and A 2 B like this.
  27. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

For Packard terminals, this:

[​IMG]

is the best answer. A clip on the back holds the terminal in place. Insert wire, squeeze, done. Perfect crimps, every time.

A friend (Ed) runs greatplainselectronics.com and can hook you up with one. His crimper prices are very good, too.

Automotive connectors and wire are designed for crimps, not solder. A good crimp is air-tight and will last forever. Solder makes the joint more brittle. You can do it, lots of guys do, but it’s still not the right way to make a secure wire to connector joint.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app