Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods boogered up AN aluminum threads on my fuel cell.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Mar 26, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

I got a really good deal on fuel cell the other day. It has 2 # 8 AN fittings that have been slightly cross threaded. Where can I find a thread chaser to try and save the fittings.
    worse case scenario I cut the fittings off and weld new one on. don't want to do that because I don't have a tig welder or a spool gun for my mig welder.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Male 3/4-16 thread, eh? and you need a die?

3. 48jeep

48jeep

If the threads are male threads, you can probably use one of those square sided thread files. Match the thread count up to what the AN fitting uses and file away carefully. The thread count number is stamped on each face of the file.

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

These work great, at work we had a couple of different sizes and they were a life saver many times! They can be used to restore the thread without cutting off material like a die will, by running it backwards and let it reshape the damaged threads or run it to cut like a die would.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    mgtstumpy, harpo1313, sunbeam and 2 others like this.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I was always under the impression the tight tolerances that the AN fittings were designed for the aerospace industry and were so much higher quality tooling than hardware grade threads of the same size. Rather than try to "correct" existing threads, may be best to replace the fitting. If the 37* taper is damaged, the best threads won't help.

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I prefer to use jeweler's files for cleaning up boogered threads. Assuming it's a male -8 so shouldn't be a big deal.

bchctybob and onetrickpony like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Guys, threads are threads! Don’t know how bad your threads are, but I bet they can be rescued! In my tool box I have one drawer marked threading! Taps, dies, thread files, yes they do exist! Triangle files and several universal thread restorers that look like a monkey wrench!
    But I come from a generation that was taught by the greatest generation to FIX, not replace!
    I bet you 23 beers I could restore your threads! I have done it many times on race cars that were cross threaded by youngsters! Just saying! Lol

Bones

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. I'd bet beer that you could file two flats in the threads, 180º apart, to the base of the threads, and it would still seal, so long as the cone is not damaged, and you get the nut on straight.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Every toolbox should have one correct-fit-thread-file.jpg

VANDENPLAS, hayu, Johnny Gee and 7 others like this.
  10. Graham08

Graham08

If they're in a tight spot, get one of these. I have a couple in different sizes that have been life savers at one point or another:

https://www.mcmaster.com/2667a438

It's a thread repair die. These are intended for repairing threads and aren't as finicky as a thread cutting die for running back over existing threads.

11. Gotta like Mcmaster - Carr.....always something to get you out of a bind. Maybe still the fastest shipping ever.

jim snow and Graham08 like this.
  12. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Like Tbody said, a set of jewler's files, about $5 at Harbor Freight, and a bit of patience. Triangle shape works best.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for looking up the die he needs.

14. alchemy

alchemy

The OP said he bought a fuel cell. I've never seen a tank or cell with male fittings welded to it. I assumed he was talking about a bung that had messed up internal threads. Maybe he'll stop ghosting us and let us know which he has.

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Probably like the one from summit, cut them off and get new an8 to pipe thread fitting. Drill, tap, install. SUM-293210_ml.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

Drill it out and install a an bulkhead fitting

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That crossed my mind too!
    Not saying this is the case with @southcross2631 but I sure wish guys would take the time to (at a minimum) educate themselves about components they use on their projects.
    Also, knowing the difference between taps and dies sure would make discussions here go a little smoother.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alu...VTvJ4KHc6lA4YQ_AUoA3oECAoQAw&biw=1280&bih=752

Not sure I understood you correctly but the above search does not agree with your statement.
    Just noticed big duece posted the photo I was about to post.

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If you can get your hand inside to tighten it up... good idea!

19. The thread restoring files that I bought from
    Harbor Freight have saved a lot of threads for me.

20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I have one exactly like this in the '32. Actually kind of nice not F'ing with pipe threads, adapters and additional fittings, but remember (especially on these) anti-seize is a necessity!

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Also, depending on what your fuel requirements are you might want the an10 size...

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Some guy from 767 O'haul used to bring me a -8 potable water fitting. Stainless with a -8 thread on one end. Threads a little buggered. I used a jewelers 60 degree file and a female fitting with lapping compound to clean up his threads. He kept coming back so I guess it worked.

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

This is the fuel cell that I have . I will figure it out. DSCF3616.JPG The fittings just won't screw on . I need to cap one and one goes to the fuel pump.

bchctybob likes this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Can you put up a blurrier Pic? I can almost make it out...;)

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes I will post one up in the morning. :cool:

Boneyard51 and Budget36 like this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sometimes asking a simple question is brutally painful, ain't it southcross?
    I would have suggested the chaser die like the one from McMaster-Carr and totally expect to get flamed about how the AN fittings are close tolerance and you'll f it up with a cheap die even though the active sealing surface is the taper and the threads just have to be good enough to take the proper torque.
    BTW, you're movin' right along on the wagon, lookin' good!

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks to the people with all of the suggestions. I bought a 3/4-16 die and had it fixed in about 5 minutes per fitting. Remember to spray WD-40 on the die threads or it gums up aluminum.
    I am glad that people are so willing to help even though some of the posts were going to be a lot of work. DSCF3637.JPG

28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Glad you fixed it. One suggestion... PLEASE say you have some other method (straps) of mounting that cell than just those feet.

Speedwrench likes this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes it set in a cage with a strap over the top.