Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where did they go and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 9, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Yes and I know why

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No

58 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seriously though,
    I've also noticed lots of names missing. And found myself wishing that more of the guys from a few years ago were still here.
    I'm glad that a lot of you longtime members decided to hang around, though.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Max Gearhead and loudbang like this.
  2. I admit. the foul language allowed here gives me pause occasionally. Might drive away a few folks? For me the benefits of the site still outweigh the offensiveness. I know this is a minority opinion here but no way would I introduce my grandson here!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  3. I haven't read the whole thread, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned,... and I'm not one of the popular, knowledgeable people this thread is largely about, but will admit... I took a break from this place for a few years, because at the time there were too many threads, for me, to announce, mourn and remember the passing of people who may or may not been active participants on this forum. Not to sound callous or cold-hearted, but it was too much like visiting the obitiuaries page, and therefore a bummer. I get that the end comes for us all, but this site is, at the end of the day, for entertainment purposes. I've had to learn to simply stay out of the death-notice threads when I don't recognize the departed's name.

The other thing that is a turn-off is the people who come here, get pi$$y about aligning themselves to some of the guidelines of the site, then create drama about the site not conforming to their personal wishes/tastes - I have a low tolerance for grown-children.

humbly,

Gotta56forme/Scott

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    chryslerfan55, chopped and loudbang like this.
  4. The Hamb is the best site on the internet for like minded hot rodders and custom guys and after reading each and every one of the replies it is abundantly clear that there is a lot of finger pointing as to what's wrong with the site and focus on everything negative.

Nothing I can say will change the attitudes of some of the members here, but thankfully there are more hambers that are still active and contribute on a regular basis and that will ensure the hamb will be around as long as Ryan want's it to be. HRP

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you can gather 10 people from varying backgrounds in a room and get them to agree unanimously on anything , you also walk on water !! Different strokes for different folks .

gary terhaar and loudbang like this.
  6. How many threads do we really need about small block chevys that wont start and have their distributors 180 out, "what are they threads" that end up being Dodges, how to build faux gassers, and myriad of other same old same old? The lack of interesting build threads is why Instagram is thumping on this place, it's basically become a haven of bitching and moaning instead which is why I barely even come by anymore. My opinion isn't shit but it's mine.

7. Could you post up a link to your build thread please..thanks.

8. chryslerfan55, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  9. Yea thats the other thing, you go back to reference a thread for something you saw one time and it's all x'd out. Total drag.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. A lot! Seems every engine I have ever built I was EXTREMELY careful to set the distributor correctly only to have it 180deg out of phase. Drives me nuts.

Oh, and then there is my faux gasser!!

11. The dreaded red X's is not anything the Hamb did, blame that on photobuckets greed, I would imagine about every site has experienced the same thing. HRP

12. Great looking car. HRP

[​IMG]

13. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I have an OT car that I've owned 20yrs I took the time to get running and driving and can't really talk about here. I had problems with the 40 that I've finally taken care of and am working on it again. I even went back through my build thread and fixed all the pictures since this is the only record of my build. I have an IG account but rarely post, I use FB more because more people I know are there and I can keep them up to date with any OT projects I have going.
    I agree that forums are a dying breed, most everything has been moved to FB with pages. A shame, really.

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  14. Wow......that's a page full.........

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. wrong.....there are sights for most makes and years going back to the 50's....but has this same issue.....

16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I'm gonna miss Loudbang. Who by the way started this..

17. Yeah, I still don't get it. I've looked at Instagram and it seems that the "build" threads are just a pretty picture and a paragraph, to me that's not a build thread. Here there's way more detail on each step with detailed pics and detailed posts.......and many of them pages long. Seems the same with Fakebook.. I don't want to just look at the artsy shot of your TIG weld or your mystery bracket, I want to know more about how you did it, what you used and I want waaaaay more pictures (good, bad and ugly). Unless your trying to copyright your idea or technique show it and talk about it to help someone else out.....it might spark more ideas.

18. squirrel

squirrel

There are indeed other forums for specific cars (I'm an occasional member of several of them), but there is nothing else like the HAMB.

TimCT, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 5 others like this.