Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Frank Walic Bomber Seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Feb 12, 2019.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Has anyone found a replacement for Franks buckets? There are some nice looking seats in the for sale section but when you put them on a 2 inch riser the backs are to tall. I'd sure step up to a pair of Franks buckets if someone has a pair they didn't use. I'll send someone a picture of what I'm looking for if they need one. I'm probably a little spoiled by starting with the best.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What’s up with Frank? Did he stop making seats?
    I really like the ones he made for me.
    B95219C9-3111-45E3-91CB-BB96DC5172B6.jpeg BFFFF2D1-F20C-44E2-9474-73B1DBB0D886.jpeg

mad mikey, Tman, 31hotrodguy and 5 others like this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Blue One: Your seats are exactly what I'm looking for, sadly I get no response when I e-mail or call Frank. His seats were just the right height to sit on a 2 inch riser and be below the behind the deck panel in a deuce roadster. I was lucky to have him build me a bomber bench for my deuce pu before he quit. It's very comfortable.

mad mikey and 31hotrodguy like this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s too bad, maybe I should start making some seats myself to fill the void :D

Let’s see I have a pattern and a powered bead roller, I’d have to find some riveting tools...

I would like to know if Frank has really quit building seats. Too bad if he has.

I wouldn’t be able to start trying my seat building skills until later on when I retire anyway :)

I’ll need something to keep me busy so you never know ;):D

31hotrodguy likes this.

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I couldn’t find seats that I likes and had the look. Plus I also wanted a bench a specific size so I made my own now . 7C9AFB94-AB9E-4798-9EC5-68FFFEF0D4C7.jpeg 2773071E-4EA6-4080-B9EC-2D025E2D5906.jpeg

mad mikey, Petejoe, vtx1800 and 9 others like this.
  6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Jamey Jordan handmade seat co make so cool seats

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

There a lot of nice seats on the market but there's nothing else that fits my project both in style and size.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Jamey Jordan does amazing work, a true craftsman and artist.
    The one thing I don’t like about his seats is that they are all flat, no curvature like the Wallic ones.
    6DFAA324-0872-4010-8984-F2B90486967A.jpeg

mad mikey and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I like Jordan's seats but they are a little to contemporary for me.

continentaljohn and Blue One like this.
  10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Gary with all your skills have you tried to make them? It’s very peaceful till you get to the rivets :D. I can make you some patterns out of cardboard. Making a curved back is simple and adds strength to the seat but takes more room in the cockpit..

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

John: Thanks for the compliment about my skills. I have no doubt if I put my mind to it I could come up with some seats. With my 74th birthday looming in the near future my ambitions to try something new are diminishing. Your seats look really good, are you planning on adding the wire beading on the edges?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpg Gary, the seats pictured aren’t finish and I put a 1/4 in rod/bead on the edges . It strengthens th outside edges and really finishers it off. I didn’t have a beadroller die for them seats at that time I took the pictures,so I did the beading by hand. Since then I machined a set of dies for the mittler to do the wire beading edge.

Stogy likes this.
  13. brady1929

brady1929

John,
    Do you have a picture of the finished edge of the seat? Thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Hi Brady. I will look for one that shows the edge . You can see on the bench seat ,the bottom edge has one where your leg would rest.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Decided to try a pair of irishpol's buckets out of Texas. They have the look and measure out to fit in a Brookville 32 RPU. 445.00 for the pair shipped isn't a bad price and they look good in the pictures. He runs an ad for them in the for sale section. I'll report back when I get them.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  16. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Just found the ad on page 11 of the H.A.M.B. classifieds. Nice looking "irishpol" seats! Here is one of his pics.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Never reported back on the Irishpol seats. The quality and workmanship is good. They are a little lighter weight than the Frank Wallic seats I've had but to me are the best currently being offered.

31hotrodguy and Blue One like this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Pictures or it didn’t happen ;) :D:D

SPEC likes this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Blue One, you know I can't post pictures. They were the same seats as a boner has pictured above. They have since left my shop along the project they were for.

Blue One likes this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Here is a picture of our old buddy, 3W Larry Roller's, if I remember correctly, "stainless steel" bomber seats!

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I didn’t know you can’t post pictures. I know you’ve had some issues but didn’t realize posting pictures wasn’t possible.

22. A Boner

A Boner

Can't post pictures.....only if you don't have the desire to learn.
    Posting pics on the H.A.M.B. is very easy, with the way Ryan has things set up. All you need is something like an iPhone 6 or newer cell phone as they have a very nice camera, and a friend (usually younger) that is a computer junky to help set it up. It's been so long since I've owned a flip phone that I don't even know if they would be sufficient. The main ingredient needed is the desire to learn how to do it. As you get used to the phone, little by little you will learn how to do stuff like take pictures with it.....with the help of all your friends that jumped on the band wagon before you did. Once you can use it to take pictures, the pictures saved on the phone will be easy to post. You can save literary hundreds and hundreds of pictures on your phone

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Blue One likes this.
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

There's one of those stainless bomber seats like the 3 window Larry seats on E-Bay now. Finding a mate might be a problem? As for the picture thing, I have had help from a couple of my friends but just can't seem to grasp the concept. I guess it has something to do with the old dog/new tricks syndrome? As for the phone thing my flip phone is so old they won't allow me to add minutes anymore when what I have expires. May force me to join the high tech world?

warbird1, RICH B and olscrounger like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

Get a smart phone.....and get one like your friends have (same name brand), as they will be helping you.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  25. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Anybody know how to get ahold of Frank? I have one of his seats but wanted to sell this one and get another one made.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As far as I know Frank is done making the seats.
    I emailed him but no reply.
    I was in contact with a friend who is a fellow member in a club and he indicated that he was having some health challenges.

I’m not sure on the accuracy of this but I haven’t been able to reach him by email or phone.

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Me to, Frank isn't answering his e-mails or phone. At one time he said he was retiring?

28. Beat set of seats I’ve ever seen fab’ed up for a pickup! Makes me dream dreams I’ll never achieve!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

continentaljohn likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Not sure where you’re coming from with that comment, those seats are in Larry’s 3 window coupe.

30. A Boner

A Boner

When mounting them, is the back angled enough to feel comfortable when mounted flat to the floor, or do they have to be mounted with the base tilted back somewhat?
    87C701AD-552F-47AD-9C07-F312F0DCACCE.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020