Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Made holes for these, and pondered fuel line routing

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, LAROKE, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  2. @neilswheels did you get the 348 freed up? Firewall looks great by the way.

Hombre likes this.
  3. Me too, but I make it up on volume. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

40two, mgtstumpy, jakespeed63 and 2 others like this.
  4. pecker head

pecker head

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Just for the record.
    I’ve received information regarding this problem from MSD.

check rotor-phasing. Ensure you're using the correct Ignition Reference Angle for your distributor (inherent crank reference angle/rotor-phasing of the distributor). Rotor-phasing will be way off if it's wrong.
    http://www.masterenginetuner.com/top...all-fails.html (Crank Reference Angle Importance)

https://forums.holley.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Testing the MSD CD ignition box.
    Points Output - white wire & Magnetic Pickup - violet/green triggering:
    https://www.msdperformance.com/suppo...ng_techniques/ (Troubleshooting Info)

Ensure the distributor's rotor-phasing is correct:
    http://documents.msdperformance.com/8644_tb.pdf (MSD Rotor-Phasing Document)
    MSD has a good video on why it's important:
    (MSD Tech Rotor-Phasing Video)

For naturally aspirated engines, the rotor is usually phased halfway between minimum & maximum amount of timing advance used.
    For forced induction engines, the rotor is usually phased at maximum boost retard, because that's when cylinder pressure is the greatest.

chryslerfan55, Hombre and mad mikey like this.
  6. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Serviced the mowers. Then spent a few hours on one.....damn, here it goes again. Love warm weather but hate all the mowing!

Hombre and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Brakes on wife’s OT car. Was a nice to spend in the garage, alone.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre and mad mikey like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

finally dugout my old TV DVD/VCR player and installed in "Man Cave" - have a bunch of films have not watched in a long time, some never - have a Firestick set up on main Family TV for Netflix, etc - but, this is cheaper 20200322_084433.jpg 20200322_084504.jpg

9. That's not a bad idea, I have a stack of vintage hot rod dvd's I got from a fellow club member when I traded him a bunch of vintage NOS Henry Gregor Felsen books, many I have never gotten around to watching. HRP

chryslerfan55, Hombre and mad mikey like this.
  10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

This morning I made a new green lense for the blinker housing in my Ramp truck project. I hole sawed the bottom of a green pill bottle, cut it down some more by hand. Cleaned up the chrome and glued the lense in.:D lense5.jpg lense4.jpg lense2.jpg lense3.jpg lense1.jpg lense.jpg

40two, MO_JUNK, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

No those were fresh photos, I just got side tracked with something I found in there, details tonight. :)

Bob

Hombre, Boneyard51 and Budget36 like this.
  12. impala4speed

impala4speed

Pretty cool. I just read that VHS tapes are making a comeback among the 80's kids in the same way that vinyl records are now popular. Of course, vinyl has always been popular with this 60's kid. :D

chryslerfan55 and Hombre like this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Buy a Hustler zero turn! You will love mowing, then!

Bones

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    chryslerfan55, X-cpe and harley jim like this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Bob, I started cleaning my shop this winter I still haven’t got it completely done. The great thing about cleaning a shop that has been stacked upfront years is finding stuff you forgot yo u had!
    I have been trying to find a drill motor thing for grinding valves, to complete my valve grinding equipment for several years, finally found one I liked last spring, at the Springfield swap meet! This winter, while cleaning my shop, I found a Souix box, under my work bench that had one in it! I have no idea where it came from! If you clean your shop..... I bet you would be in for some surprises ,like mine!

Bones

chryslerfan55, Hombre and The37Kid like this.
  15. Why? He said in despair.
    I have two very expensive VCR recorders that chewed up their cost in VHS tapes. This problem wasn't totally the fault of the machines, but were aided by the fact that if a tape was played a lot, it had to be taken apart and lubricated.
    I was so grateful when the Laser disk player, and finally DVD happened. When the newer devices crapped the bed, at least you didn't destroy the irreplaceable medium on the disks. The hard part of archiving the VHS material to a hard drive, is that it is a real time manual operation, and requires constant monitoring.
    Nowadays I backup everything onto a hard drive, and clone the drive as a backup when the drive is full. A person can set up almost any old computer as a player.
    Bob

chryslerfan55 and impala4speed like this.
  16. Chgo Sox Fan

Chgo Sox Fan

Snowing in central Indiana today. So I brewed 5 gallons of beer and added the yeast to 3 gallons of apple juice that will become a spiced hard cider. Work on my 51 Chevy SD will resume tomorrow.

Shutter Speed, Hombre and Budget36 like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Way up top in the center is a 10 foot long piece of clear 1x6 that I stained to replace a piece of trim on the back of the garage. Think it has been up there 2 years (Son in Law said 5), part of many unfinished projects. Not any more. Bob

DSCF6010.JPG DSCF6013.JPG

18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Got 2 big Gravely ztr's. Still takes 4 to 5 hours of non-stop mowing with both mowers to get over it all. Usually weekly. Not so fun anymore.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. went for a spin in my 36 3w before the rain comes back in... Then broke I the car on the way home..

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Got out of the house, took the wife for a drive up the hills and had a side of the road picnic. Then back to quarantine....
    IMG_2191.JPG IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2196.JPG IMG_2197.JPG

40two, i.rant, Butler 32 and 21 others like this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Then you are mowing too much of your land, let some of it go, I do and that makes it a lot better!

22. Mounted the fuse box in my '50. 50 wiring.jpg

23. Changed my trailer from surge brakes to electric and re wired it.

jakespeed63 and Hombre like this.
  24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Good advise!!

25. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

March 23rd 2020 Third pass over the cab exterior above the belt line. Scotchbrite cookies on two more dents I discovered and abrasive buffs in the Dremel motor tool in the cowl vent channels, door hinges and around the rear window. Another washing of the cab top with Dawn dish soap and I spied two more dents previously missed,

Finally, I was to the point where I could PRE paint prep the dent areas and slather them with some filler. Still waiting for ordered sandpaper for blocking. Have to make do with what I have on hand. Truckers, God bless 'em, have their hands full with more important deliveries.

[​IMG]

26. Sunday's project simple rebuild on Saginaw steering box for the '64 Olds. Been a professional techniciam, for 35yrs, but never completely took apart a steering box.(first and last) Always got by, with pitman seals and the occasional sector shaft seal. (extracting using the hole drilled sheet metal screw method)
    Spent the better part of the day, carefully taking everything apart, using my factory book and a wise ass on YouTube video. After struggling, finally got back into the chassis and fired it up. UGH!! Steering wheel started going to the right, all by itself.
    ...guess what I'm doing Monday??
    Have to admit, it was a good experience and felt good cleaning all the crud, out of the inside. Been over almost every inch of this sled, so thought why not. Lesson learned.

27. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

March 24th 2020 South Florida's broiling summer is approaching and I'm looking for ways to mitigate the effects in the BillyBob Shop. I hadn't given much thought to a dehumidifier because the shop is not insulated and the two 12' x 12' overhead doors are big air leaks. There is a 24" diameter hole up high in the rear wall with a broken fan in it as well.

My friend, Dave Sexton, has a free-standing shop comparable to the BillyBob Shop and he reports that a dehumidifier drys it considerably, making it more comfortable for summer work. Based on Dave's report, I purchased a heavy-duty dehumidifier. I got one rated for double the area of the BillyBob Shop because of the sixteen foot ceiling height.

Set it up in the BillyBob Shop over the weekend and started it up. Within three hours, the humidity had dropped from 58% to 46% and the water container had topped out at 1.8 gallons, at which point, it turned itself off.

The next day, I searched the shop and found a garden hose I had originally gotten, way back, to drain a water bed and hooked it up to the dehumidifier to provide continuous drainage. It's running continuously now. Lowest observed humidity in the shop has been 42% thus far. I can feel a difference and it's too early to tell, but I believe it's relieving the heat rash on my forearms somewhat

[​IMG]

28. Hombre

Hombre

Laroke, I am curious how this work's over time. Here in Alabama I could sure use something that would help with the heat that is coming fast. Thanks for any information you have...

LAROKE and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might consider a ceiling fan, or two, to move the air around for your dehumidifier. This was suggested to me by my furnace guy as I have a tall ceiling. It appears to work better.

chryslerfan55, Hombre and LAROKE like this.
  30. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.