Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How Are you Using The Time Off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I too have no time off and have been moved to the night shift also. My company supports the conveyance inside some Amazon facilities, seems Amazon has been deemed an essential business, so by default we who take care of the plant are as well.

I can tell the "Amazon buying public" is taking this seriously, used be 90% of stuff coming through the place was China trinkets, now it's about 75% canned goods, bottled drinks and dry goods.

My silver lining is thanks to Ca. law, since I'm not working on my assigned shift it's all OT and DT, should be able to save a few bucks up and put it towards some parts I need.

Lil32 and nochop like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am wrapping up the busiest month I have had in the last few years! Mortgage rates are all over the board but folks like @Rocky need my services unless they are writing checks for new home purchases. I got 3 new purchase and Sale contracts yesterday and I have a host of others making offers. I can do most from home but my office is still open until the gov changes his mind.

Stay safe but stay calm. This will pass. You ever notice that pandemic and pandemonium have similar root words? Hmmm, BB

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  3. 4speed411

4speed411

Almost ready to cruise, new custom headers, coated, ready to bolt on.. IMG_20200322_062430.jpg

Sky Six, Stogy, bobss396 and 4 others like this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Installed it today with my sons help.
    Plumbing and electric next. Soon soon.

They are shutting down non essential business and travel starting this Tuesday in Ohio.
    I didn’t see where going on a joy ride in the Hotrod is considered to be essential.

[​IMG]

DRUGASM, Lil32, nochop and 2 others like this.
  5. Larry, unfortunately we witness the same caviler attitude here. Some will never get the tragedy facing us all. Guess they feel immortal and immune to this virus not realizing they are possible infectors. Have you been by the local gun store recently? They are not able to bring in enough supplies to counter the demand. Another element of concern. A fella in line with a friend said he was there to buy ammo so when he runs out of food he will go and take some from others. Great attitude. Let us hope we don't see this happen.

Lil32 likes this.
  6. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

Here in France 90/100 business are closed
    Our french président said « it’ s the war «
    We are all at home and can’t go outside
    I am still at work for the next week but next week-end we need to close the door because all business are off
    So for the next 3 or 4 next weeks i plan to do some work here and there on the 1956 olds
    Install new gearbox radiator
    Fix the carb linkage
    And do some home work
    Painting, plumbing
    The hard thing will be to keep the wife quiet

7. 62rebel

62rebel

Well, let's get something clear. I didn't ask my boss to lay me off. As for "sitting and collecting checks", I don't expect anything except the last week I worked, and that's already marked for bills. Ever tried to find even a temporary job in circumstances like this? I was told that I am able to return once this is over, but when, exactly, is that?

8. Just a few hours ago, Ohio gov dewine state update said that grocery stores, gas stations, food delivery, any type of stock, Amazon, go jo, and a host of other places are hiring on the spot. Trade techs such as plumbers, electricians, hvac are in need. If you’re out of work call one of these places they desperately need staff.

Xtrom, Lil32, nochop and 4 others like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Don't even be ashamed for filing for Unemployment, you payed into it, this may be a time you need it.

10. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I’ve got less free time during the week now that I’m working from home and looking after my kids. Could be worse at least I’m still working and drawing a salary for now.

Today I got out to the garage and did some work on the Country Squire.
    Changed out the temper-mental brake light switch, wired up the dome light and finally added a start in park switch.
    Had Ford vs Ferrari playing on the tv and a cold beer.
    Pretty good day especially considering the week I’ve had.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Apparently you know something I don’t.:D

12. I had Spinal Fusion surgery 3 weeks ago so I’m limited to very limited or not working on my cars.
    Doctor told me not to lift more than 5 pounds.
    I go out to my garage each day and stare at my stalled projects, watch TV then take long walks around the lake or walk around the park for an hour or two.
    I walk till it hurts, sit and rest then walk some more.
    I don’t bounce back anymore like when I was 23 years old.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, Lil32, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^ hang in there - positive recovery takes time - even if you were 23 - do yourself more harm than good to rush things - now there is whole big bunch of people that have to just take it easy too.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

2many projects. I had spinal fusion surgery about 20 years ago . Listen to your doctor . I know it's hard to stop your life for recovery. I had to turn my Willys drag car over to some one else in order to keep my sponsor obligations. It was tough standing there watching another drive me car.
    I had to stay out of the driver seat for a whole season and down in south Ga. the season is 11 months.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Still working here... they have not pulled the plug just yet in SW MO. I am spending my at home time working on a truck with my son. It's his first project, and is not HAMB friendly, but has been fun. 74 C 10. It has 56k original miles and everything is factory og. It's a great platform to train a 14 yeal old.

We will probably be home by mid week, but my employer may be on the essential list. We'll see...

chryslerfan55, Stogy and chop job like this.
  16. It isn't a give me, you paid into the unemployment insurance program.
    You paid the ticket you earned it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55, nochop and Budget36 like this.
  17. 62rebel

62rebel

Our employers pay the premiums, not the employees. It took almost 2 hours to wade through the red tape on the website and get my claim filed. But, filing the claim in no way guarantees that you are going to get paid. South Carolina is notorious for claim denial.

chryslerfan55 and nochop like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

At least you have the ability to file a claim. I’m a one truck, one man operation leased to a carrier, so I’m essentially what they call a contractor. We aren’t able to get unemployment. So if and when I get shut down, I’m SOL. Not complaining, I have a little saved up, but not enough to last long. I’m working until my shippers close, or my customers are forced to. I don’t think anybody could have seen this coming and saved enough to cover it.

19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'm essential, unless a coworker in close contact gets it, then I'll get a 2 week vacation so I cant give it to a patient too. Not that I want anyone sick, but 2 weeks off and 1 more shipment from Speedway I'd have my t bucket almost done!
    Meanwhile, my days off, I "social distance" by working 10-12 hours on the bucket. Springs comin and I wanna cruise!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  20. I'm still at work since we are considered essential. I retire in 5 weeks regardless.

I was as sick as a dog from the 3rd and went on vacation anyway, bad cough, lungs full of crap, congested. No fever, no aches, appetite is normal. Lived on Mucinex and Nyquil. Got home on the 11th, saw the doctor, got a cough syrup and steroid pills. Wasn't a ton better, called them up and I got z-pack and a new cough medicine. I got better almost right away.

Limiting my time out shopping first and foremost. I'm pretty well supplied even with cat food. Fridge and freezer is full... rearranged my supplies and took an inventory. Cleaned up the kitchen counters, got a fire going outside late yesterday, burned some scrap wood and my old bills and junk mail. Had a beer or 3.

Got some cash to have on hand, the ATMs were humming on Saturday. Bet most are empty by now. Now its getting nice, have to think of home projects to tackle, always something to do on the Ford.

chryslerfan55, nochop and ras like this.
  21. My buddy owns a good shop and he is slow, so I'm having my cars serviced since they need it and he needs the work. I may drop the Ford off with him, it needs a few things and he has the lifts and everything else.

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  22. texkbc

texkbc

Paint and body work 49C763D1-E9D1-4B13-93CD-8C433760ECF6.jpeg

chryslerfan55, DRUGASM, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  23. I was talking to my brother-in-law last night and he is a manager of a Ingle's grocery store here in the upstate.

Johnny tells me that he has hired several people that have been laid off to help restock shelves, as you well know the grocery stores have been extremely busy all over the country, it might be beneficial to check with your local grocery stores, good luck my friend. HRP

chryslerfan55, nochop and Speed Gems like this.
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I run a warehouse, which I guess is part of "transportation" making it an essential business. so I am still working. we supply the shipping boxes for Wal-Mart online sales.

there was a lot more traffic this morning on the way in, and the complex where I work has a lot more businesses working today. place across the street from me sells flooring to contractors... not seeing that as essential. China seems to have beat this thing because nobody went to work. the US does not have the threat of death as an option like China, so we are harder to control.

fun times ahead that s for sure.

chryslerfan55, Lil32 and nochop like this.
  25. flatout51

flatout51

Cleaning up my shop, scraping junk, organizing what's left so I can do a small shop expansion. Gotta get back on my coupe! 20200322_165516.jpeg IMG_20200323_113923_251.jpeg 20200322_165525.jpeg IMG_20200322_161146_133.jpeg 20200322_161718.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. ^^^^flatout, u may need some help with cleaning that shop:rolleyes::)

Lil32, nochop and flatout51 like this.
  27. flatout51

flatout51

Its gonna take some time... but that's all I've got right now!
    Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and nochop like this.
  28. Although I've never done it, I'm gonna attempt to fix/weld floors in the Shoebox.
    Should beat the shit out of watching the boob tube.

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really wish people would stop calling it the boob tube. It gets my hopes up and all that is on there is crap. No boobs!

Our state closes tomorrow at 8pm. Unfortunately, I mean fortunately I am essential personnel. I'll be at work. The rest of you stay home and play nice.

Hey, I have an idea. Let's start a website on the internet where we work from home in our garages and build things...say hot rods, yeah hot rods! It'll be great fun, we can take pictures of our progress and share 'em on-line. We can tell funny stories, ask questions if you get stuck and then we can drive the stuff we build this summer when the "stay at home ban" is lifted. Ah, who am I kiddin? It'll never work...it will just get political and dramatic like that F***book crap. It was a good idea though.

Build 'em mean, stay lean, keep it clean! BB

30. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

That's because your not watching the right channels.:D

raven and Bandit Billy like this.