Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T5 transmission help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zipoleon, Mar 23, 2020.

1. I have a 1954 Hemi Chrysler hemi engine and an adapter for a Chevy bellhousing that had a T5 on it, don't have a trans for it yet, but want a T5. Can I get a world class trans , and what car should I get it out of?

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Hnstray and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. 53 hemi

53 hemi

I can't help you much, only say that I had a T5 (non WC) behind a healthy 351W and it didn't hold up. When I put my Hemi together I bit the bullet and got a better transmission. I went with a TKO600, but there are other options. If you plan on "spirited" driving, I don't think you'll be satisfied in the long run with a T5...

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chrysler 354 Hemi does not tell a whole story.

Stock 2-barrel 354?

Two 4-barrel Chrysler 300 354?

6-71 blown 354, E85 fueled, with 700hp?

Even on the low end, a WC T5 is not going to be the best transmission, unless you shovel a heap of aftermarket parts into it. By the time you do that, you could have a better 5-speed (or even 6).

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

During the early production year for the 1993 S 10 2 wheel drive trans they were World Class and had the Chevy bolt pattern, later in the year they went to a Ford bolt pattern. The early ones are a little tough to find, my tranny man just found me one.

6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The late Chevy pattern NWC S10 cases can be machined to take WC gear sets. You have to open up the countershaft bearing bores, and drill and tap the holes for the bearing retainers on the back.

7. It's a stock 331", 4 barrel, 285hp.

8. Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for one.

9. I guess I should have said what I'm doing with it. It's going in my '35 Plymouth (my avatar). Won't be thrashing too hard on it. Just a mild street car. I think it would be neat to have a hemi in a old mopar.
    Thanks for your replies.

10. tjm73

tjm73

The world class version of the T5 will survive that power level.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

The first generation t5 that came in the camaro’s and firebird’s with the 305 where between 83 and 87 I believe and the second version between 88 and 92 . The second generation is considered superior and roughly capable of 300 ft pounds of torque.
    Installed one behind a goodwrench 350 in my 37 Chevy over 10 years ago and it hasn’t given any trouble yet. You can row through the gears pretty good but I don’t think they like getting shocked hard with big rpm clutch dumps. Do that to much and you will be taking public transit!

irishsteve and Hnstray like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Due to more luck than smarts, I have one of those S-10 WC/Chevy bolt pattern T5's. According to it's model number, it was OEM behind a 2.8 V6.

However, the gear ratio spread in the S-10 T5 trannies, regardless of application, are not the best choice for many/most hot rod applications with significant power. They are all around 4.0-1 (+ or -) 1st gear . I also have a Mustang 5.0 T5 which has substantially better ratio spread (3.35-1 1st gear), but of course has the Ford trans pattern. Interestingly, the Ford T5 input shaft is a little bit shorter than the S-10 input, which is a good thing, as S-10 inputs are typically too long anyway.

So, as I see it, for a GM application, the Mustang T5 gearset should be swapped into the S-10 case for a really usable gearbox in a GM application.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    irishsteve likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah. Camaro T5, with an S10 tail housing, and top cover (for rail, and shift forks).

14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would look at the Camaro T5 88-92 over the choice of the 93 S-10... mainly because of the stronger gears in the Camaro gear set. AND, shifter location.. depends on if you have a bench seat or buckets

Tri-power37 likes this.
  15. "During the early production year for the 1993 S 10 2 wheel drive trans they were World Class and had the Chevy bolt pattern, later in the year they went to a Ford bolt pattern. The early ones are a little tough to find, my tranny man just found me one."

Yeah me too. Everybody told me all S-10 WC trans were the weird Ford bolt pattern but I bought a complete running '93 S-10 for the trans [sold off the body for more than I paid for the whole truck] and it was also the early GM bolt pattern and was world class. I used it behind a stock '40 flathead in my old 33 pickup. Very smooth and worked great with the 4.44 [46 pickup] ratio rear axle. 33interior.jpg

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Yes, that S10 '93 with Chevy bolt pattern is very hard to find. I believe they switched over to the Ford style bell in the later half of production.

17. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Yeah I got my t5 from a wrecked 89 Camaro with a 305 engine that only had 80.000 km. I left the transmission with the shifter at the rear of the trans and it fit perfectly but every install is different.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 63 Belair 2door post car has a 355 SBC and a WC T5 out of a 91 IROC Camaro. !900 RPMs at 75 MPH. First gear still low enought to light up the tires. Has been inthe car 10 years with no problems.

big duece likes this.