Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I should have figured that.

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^I know, right? :cool: If I lived closer I'd grab a metal flake, gas powered, retro shopping cart and tour the display cases at @Moriarity 's place.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 days, no sports on TV, found a woman sitting on my couch. Turns out she's my wife? Nice lady, I like her. But I went out to the garage anyway and got some work done. Front fog lights were slightly behind the guards, this will look better with nothing more than moving the brackets.
    upload_2020-3-15_19-19-4.png
    That should balance the front end. Then to the rear end, I bought a nice Yankee reverse light off one of the guys in the classifieds on here. I made a bracket and hung it on the drivers side.
    upload_2020-3-15_19-20-40.png
    I still have to stretch my bumper brackets a bit to fit the 41 super deluxe bumper. I need about 3" on each side. Easy fix, need to run to the steel yard in the morning and find some suitable scrap.
    upload_2020-3-15_19-22-44.png
    Finally I worked on my louver layout. I want to drop off the hood at Russ Meeks joint in Clackamas this week. I totally trust Russ's eye but I wanted to add my own personal thing. I laid out the right side first then mimicked the design on the left. Afterward, I stepped back and had a cool idea.
    upload_2020-3-15_19-25-21.png
    The horizontal lines at the bottom of the hood is a reference where the brace is under the hood. The left side louvers are cantered but parallel to the center line. They are slightly off scale since Russ uses a 3" die and while the right side was set up for that dimension, when they are cantered the dimension will change a tiny bit. I left 1.25" between rows.
    I staggered the rear of the louvers a little bit, I staggered the fronts 7". The overall effect is like a rocket or motion and I like it!
    upload_2020-3-15_19-29-49.png
    Why be like everyone else? I will copy the design to the small filler panels below the bed sides. I tired to copy the shape of the rear of the hood where it meets the cowl. Laid them out with fine line tape I had lying about.
    Both designs are cool but I am really digging the angled layout.

Thoughts?

Jrs50, Tim_with_a_T, Lepus and 7 others like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Angled just looks like it was done wrong to me, sorry, but I prefer the louvers punched square to the length of the hood with staggered starting point

5. Count me in the don’t like them angled camp

Oh and good find on the wife, I usually find dirty socks and half eaten cookies in my couch.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  6. BB the top photo (primered) is off my green '40, the bottom photo is the hood I'm using on my current '41 build (the brace was cut out, then welded back in after louvers punched).
    Thought I'd post up a couple of examples I've used, I like the angled look.

7. Ok I’ll admit after seeing one actually louvered I don’t mind them angled....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. The angled flows better to me. I like it.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Angled looks too "new Rootlieb". Not classic at all.

1f968bfd38cfc685eb07f0b5e17275c3.jpg

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Another vote for angled

11. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I favor the angled look

Attached Files:

12. loudbang

loudbang

One more vote for the angled style. :)

13. Hombre

Hombre

Hell I like them both, but then again I just like louvers period. The angled would have to grow on me a little sometimes different is cool...

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I should have known you would have beat me to it! I even printed that one so I can retain it and hand it to Russ. On the bed filler panels would you slant them forward or back? Curious your opinion on that.

It is just a bit different from the mainstream. Kinda like me. I see you fanned those a bit to fit the hood. I thought about that but wasn't sure.

How great is the HAMB? I ask for help and I get EXACTLY what I asked for. Actual photos of louvered hoods in the same style to aid my decision making. Incredible!

15. My thought when I laid out the angled louvers was the same as yours..follow the shape of the V of the hood at the cowl.
    That said the same logic for me would be to go straight on the bed filler panels, following the straight edges of the running boards/bed pockets/bed, and it's overall shape/profile.
    Really like your choice on the bumpers.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Hombre and Stogy like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. @Chris has those on his cool 34 roadster and I love the look. So I asked about them and he had an extra pair and 4 guards. They need a little straitening and plating but I have guy for that! :cool:

I totally get what you mean about the filler panels. I will lay out both ways and see what I think. Thanks for your help always. I hope to get the bed built right away. With all of our bars closed in the state I should have the whole truck done in a week or two. ;)

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'm in the both linear and Angled Louvers look Awesome Crowd...tough call...either way Stogys Happy...;)

I am unsure of the history of angled Louvers but suspect they do go back further in origin than we assume...

My only thought is perhaps 2-3 additional Angled Louvers aft of each row to fill or balance the Louvers similar to the straight format...

I know extending may necessitate removal of the brace but getting the look is a thing Hotrodders do and then say it's purpose built dontcha know...:D

Great work on the Louvers @40FORDPU...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a thing they do but not sure for what reason. The brace is almost the exact same line as the cowl on these trucks. If you louver at or behind that line the louvers will be looking down at the cowl. That's why I avoided removing the brace and running them back there, it seemed pointless. Maybe I'm wrong, if I am don't tell the lady on my couch, she seems to think I know what I'm doing (or pretends I do...same thing as far as I'm concerned).

chryslerfan55, Hombre and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotcha...so the straight punched hood has some cowl cooling going on...you know even without added Louvers 40's angled hood looks fantastic..
    it works...leave brace intact and purposefully designed...as you have laid them out...Good Job...Bandit...;)

chryslerfan55 and Hombre like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had elective surgery Tuesday on my left thumb so I did a little one handed cutting/welding/grinding/wrenching and adapted the rear bumper brackets to the new bumpers. I stopped by the steel yard and they gave me a .250" slap of steel that I cut into the dimensions needed to elongate the brackets.
    upload_2020-3-22_11-58-52.png
    I'll clean them up a bit more when I tear it down for paint. Not too bad considering I'm like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. I also added a weld in nut to hold my back up light bracket. Not sure if I will chrome or paint these brackets but I am leaning toward black semi gloss hardened enamel.

After chroming the bumpers I will paint the backsides, leaning toward a metallic gold. I plan to add a few light gold details inside the cab, maybe piping in the seats and door panels. My steering wheel has a gold mercury dude in the center already. Just a few gold details, nothing that really stands out. I was considering painting the centers of the chrome reverse wheels metallic gold and then add chrome spider caps and possibly the sides of the grille bars gold as well. Black and gold...Player and Reynolds would approve. What else would you expect from a guy that calls himself Bandit Billy? Eastbound and down good buddy. That reminds me, I need an old CB, non digital.

I don't want to get into anything heavy right now due to that hand being bandaged and the fact that I have an appointment Wednesday to get the exhaust done so I need to keep the truck mobile. Going to wrench on some small things to day just to have something to do.

Stay safe but avoid the cool aid. That stuff will mess you up. ;) BB

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't get a bunch done but I did work on the left rear fender. I had a GT flip style gas cap lying around from something or another. So I decided to graft it on the truck. I had actually been planning this for a while and I had the time so WTH. I found a small piece of sheet metal and blasted a 2" hole in with the plasma cutter and then followed it up with a 3" hole equally spaced around it. Then I stitched it in to the fuel filler hole basically shrinking a 3.125" hole into a 2.125" hole.
    upload_2020-3-22_22-3-49.png
    Next garage day I will knock down those welds and finish welding that ring in.
    This is the new gas cap. It has a threaded collar that I will weld into that ring after I clock it to my liking.
    upload_2020-3-22_22-7-8.png
    Docs probably not going to like the grime all over his bandage but its not like I can wear a glove over it right?
    It will end up looking like this when all is said and done.
    upload_2020-3-22_22-9-2.png
    Don't you feel sorry for electric cars for not having such cool fuel fillers? I know sure do.
    I will weld a 2" mandrel bend filler pipe from the screw in bung to the tank and use a short section of 2" rubber filler hose to connect it to the tank. I like the clocking in the picture, sort of following the imaginary flow of the fender.

I'll weld that threaded bung from the underside after dressing the top side to make it easier to finish the fender. I'll use red thread locker to hold the cap in place once the fender is painted.

This fender was already cut out for a '40 passenger tail light as you can see in the photo above. I will duplicate that on the other fender. I have a couple of blue dot lenses I will use.

That is all I really got done today. Of course I failed to mention it was mine and Mrs BB's 23rd wedding anniversary so I had to cut the shop time short. Can't go to out to dinner so we celebrated at home. Cute aint she? You think she would mind if I bought her a Hurst mini dress and go-go boots for a anniversary gift?
    upload_2020-3-22_22-25-47.png
    Like they said on Hill Street Blues, "let's be safe out there" BB

Jrs50, Tim_with_a_T, Lepus and 13 others like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Congrats to you both, Hurst Dress and Boots...Oh Yeah...Careful with the wound and that's even a bigger reason to be very vigilant with distancing...and yes...be safe...heres a teaser for ya...this is Chips handiwork...

NL7.jpg

Credit to Photographer

bchctybob and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. Hombre

Hombre

Great picture there "BB" and yes she is damn cute, now keep her safe. When this deal has calmed down some you can take her to dinner twice to make up for it.

Bandit Billy and Stogy like this.
  24. Dang, how is it some guys have all the Good Stuff? No wonder your building Her a Bad Ass truck. Happy Anniversary pal.

25. P.S. I can verify that actually is his Wife.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the internet, you never can tell. I just hope the doctor's office is open Friday for my follow up or else its wire cutters and long noses to remove the stitches. And bourbon to disinfect, you can't be too careful these days.

Wizzard, you stay safe now. Shelter in shop.

Stogy, Hombre and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  27. Happy Anniversary!
    Ours' is coming up Wednesday. Like you, staying home.
    BTW, she's a lot cuter than you:D

Stogy, Hombre and Bandit Billy like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daughter (seamstress by trade) found a use for all those empty Crown bags I had lying around.
    upload_2020-3-23_9-42-58.png
    Not just for laughs. She built in a washable filter element
    upload_2020-3-23_9-44-5.png
    I ordered a few of them from her. $20 bucks a pop, not easy to make. Now I need to do my part and get more empty bags.

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank God! And have a happy anniversary.

Stogy and Hombre like this.