Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, Now What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

So, Now What?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

390cad, Sancho, mad mikey and 19 others like this.
  2. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Doing it. I've been in the shop working on furniture projects, lighting projects, working on Dominique (the 56 Vette) and have started putting together assemblage art. No problem being in isolation!

3. Bluedot

Bluedot

I read a prediction this morning that pregnancy rates are expected to increase soon. Imagine that!;)

Xtrom, Cooon, raven and 6 others like this.
  4. I'd give anything if I could isolate myself in the shop! Talk about catching up on work lol!!!! Still gotta go to work every 3rd day and deal with the public.

5. ..............I know that you're out there on the front-line of this situation and you may not hear "thanks" everyday, so just in case, know that we all appreciate the difficult job you and others are doing.....Don.

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It is not much of change of activity for me. I only venture away from the shop and home for food and parts most days.

I have a plan to take some drives in the Hot Rod though. Plan is to pack a lunch,cruise to a favorite destination, stop for lunch and return home. A budy or two will be asked to come along as long as they maintain social distancing.

7. chopped

chopped

Wife and I awoke this AM and found ourselves on a deserted island. ( once you convince your partner the fields are really water) Lucky someone had the foresight to build a house and stock the fridge. I'm health challenged so this is just what the Doc ordered. Chill out, make the most of life.

8. squirrel

squirrel

might be time for Tech Week

9. Saturday, I walked out to the garage,unlocked the door and just stood there looking around, I decided to do what I have ignored for the past few years, I needed to do a major clean up, organize and move things around, I have a old craftsman tool chest that is very few tools in it and I moved it next to my work bench and started organizing all the nut's & bolts, fittings, extra that are stored from one end of my shop to the other.

I discovered pretty quickly what I though would be a quick job will take a lot longer than I had anticipated, as I moved around I see more things that need attention and I got side tracked doing other task, at this point I can keep busy for a while.

I'm still helping at Brenda's Flower Shop and doing some remodeling and adding shelving for inventory, I'm staying busy but business is non existent.

Please take this pandemic serious, I want every single hamber & their family to stay safe, if you can stay home, I'm praying that none of our member's or their loved ones become infected. HRP

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  10. Thanks Don, we are taking it serious, be part of the solution, not part of the problem, and we'll all get through this fine. Take care of each other :D

11. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Working from home, so the shop idea is not an option, But.... I have my work computer right next to my home computer. so the HAMB is right at my fingertips ,as well as you-tube and all the other filler. Also thanks to the first responders, hospitals, doctors and nurses working tirelessly in this bad situation. There just can't be enough said for their commitment.

greaser, Texas57, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  12. We just got back from a week at my in laws condo on the Outer Banks. (They weren't there) We had left before all the shit hit the fan... we actually felt safer and more isolated down there, but I am glad to be home. Now on to shop projects that are building up.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Hombre like this.
  13. We did a reliablity run on Saturday, and we weren't breaking the law. Stayed in our cars, talked through open windows. Had 8 hot rods crusing through Texas. We had a good time. But then again shelter in place has not been put into effect for our area. Dallas county starts at midnight tonight.

14. Maryland "shelter in place" also starts tonight... fortunately for us, my wife works from home, and I am retired, other folks are going to have a really tough time getting through this. Hopefully the government can help without the "scammers " taking all the emergency money!

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Been seeing a lot of Group FaceTime meet ups/ social hours. FaceTime supports 30 callers and other websites provide possibly more.

I’ve been thinking about the old hamb chat room from 20 years ago and think maybe it would be cool to organize a virtual shop crawl.

seeing people face to... kinda face is really helpful in these times. Might be fun?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  16. Good idea Jim, all I have going on right now is not Hamb friendly, hopefully someone is doing something that would be on topic.

Heck, maybe bring back some past techs, we always have new members that missed it. HRP

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Being retired and living out here in the middle of nowhere it’s easy to remain isolated so I’ve just continued on with my projects. There’s a new fly in the ointment now though, my wife is home more now due to due to her dental office only seeing emergency patients. She’s using the time to do a lot of yard improvements that she has been wanting to do, and of course, I get to help. So I’m actually getting LESS time to work on my stuff!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Ya know....ok I’m 50 and still like to get down...but that’s not even on my mind...my 21 y/o works in PT...well she has had some mild symptoms...low grade fever 99-100.3, slight cough, doctor advised us to take her for testing..they did everything curbside, and it they said her symptoms weren’t serious enough to warrant a test...so our doctor told us....assume she has it...so we’re on minimum 2 week lock down..and we already hadn’t left the house in over a week...
    I’m scared for my family’s health and safety...and I’m hopeful other people follow the guidelines...I heard a “ story” of someone in line buying a lot of ammo...when asked why he’s said “ when we run out of supply’s I’ll go get someone else’s” that’s the kind of shit I worry about..our doctor said 80% of the people that get this have mild symptoms...so far after 4 days we’re still in that group...I haven’t even thought of the financial implications of all this..my wife’s a teacher...they’re still getting payed.. I don’t know how long my company is gonna pay me to sit home...they are not a “lay off” company..they just let ya go...please pray for everyone dealing with this...Pray that our Country can come together and get through this...I initially thought I would use this time to work on Falcon...now I just want my Family healthy and safe...everything else isn’t even on my radar

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Was wondering if it would ever come down to the need to spread leaflets by helicopter to get the point across on the seriousness of this whole deal, maybe they should start with the beaches, different times we live in, for sure a different audience!

20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"WOODWORKING INSPIRATION " for Ryan.
    Years ago I bought this piece to sit on my Baldwin Piano, it was at a yard sale for $10.00. The piece was made by a very skilled woodworking artist in Puerto Rico. So if you are going to explore the realm of precision relief cutting such as with a scroll saw, I would like to suggest you do one of these out of wood for the H.A.M.B. logo. Just a thought. Be safe and healthy!

BALDWIN 1.JPG IMG_2961 (2).JPG

21. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Having been through Viet Nam, cancer, and 9/11 4 blocks away from Ground Zero in NYC (that ended my working career/business) the one thing I learned is we all have to be more tolerant and patient with everyone even those we don't agree with to pull together and get thru this. If you don't think this is serious, I live in a town with 300 people in the mountains and we already have one positive case...........

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this new generation will be referred to as the Coronians... a much cooler name than baby boomer.

23. Deuces

Deuces

Guess I better get busy or die trying... :D:rolleyes::)

24. I guess with the Round Up postponed, the sense of urgency to get things done on my truck kinda evaporated to the point where I forgot what else I needed to get done before the trip. I still have those things to do. Have been spending a lot of time with my wife and kid just hanging out. We're half done with a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle we're messing with off and on. Did some yard work. Been trying to get back into a stalled 1/25 modeling project (and I have a whole closet full of kits- I could work on them til I die and have some left over). We drove up into the Sam Houston National Forest yesterday and hiked for a couple hours. I was set on cruising the truck to a few local spots to take some photos, but the weather over the weekend was not cooperating, and I am working from home M-F 8-5. Maybe I can get out for an hour or two in the evening one day this week. Have a ton of little things to do around the house- my only worry on starting those is the need to run to Lowe's or Ace or Napa for stuff. I'm trying to prevent that. Only indoor retail place I've been has been the grocery store, and getting takeout dinner from a couple of favorite local mom & pop restaurants.

25. Its not that big a deal. We are not really quarantined, I have been quarantined (twice) and this is not it.

We are not confined to quarters we just don't have any big gatherings. This is probably a good time to catch up with friends, that way we won't regret it if they don't come out the other side of this thing.

Be smart, careful and stay healthy if you can.

dan c, Tman, Sancho and 10 others like this.
  26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Self isolation here in Nebraska. Have a customer chassis I'm plumbing. Hope to ship the frame and remaining parts out later this week? I may have to go to Lincoln to pick up more frame rails also later this week? Waiting on several Winters rears to be shipped. No parts shipments seem to be going out from my suppliers. Patience is the key in my life. I do self isolate in my pickup going for 3 or 4 rides a day to keep my sanity. Can only watch so much TV and only so much working on the computer. At 75 with a bad heart I guess I'm a prime candidate? Oh well life goes on.

Hamtown Al, Deuces, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  27. Retrorod

Retrorod

Since my retirement a little over a year ago my shop time increased dramatically, first we finished a very involved home remodel and now the long awaited truck project for my Grandson. It's been in the works for a very long time but I got only bits and pieces done until recently. My days really haven't changed since this pandemic arrived, we pretty much are self-isolated anyway. It's amazing how much you can get done in 3 or 4 hours a day ( a daily nap at mid day is required ). Since almost everything has to be hand fabricated and bench built, I find I'm not really held up waiting for parts since the drive train was completed last year. Working without any kind of deadline or time constraints is really nice...if I feel tired I just take a break. I should get back out there right now but my back is a bit sore from yesterdays labors struggling with the seat. Maybe I'll just sit here and read all you fellas have to say? Cheers guys, keep it going!

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great time to go through everything I've put in the house in the last 42 years, lots of stuff has no reason for being here. Bob

Spoggie, mad mikey, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Tonight we are going into what’s called a “stay at home order”.
    We are allow to leave for essentials and exercise.
    I too have been taking a few sanity rides in the coupe with my wife. But now I feel guilty just driving around.
    Yes I know you can’t catch it in a car but the problem is..... we just can’t afford to have millions of people on the roads doing the same thing.
    We all really have to rethink this.
    I may curb my joy rides but you can bet your ass I’ll be driving them to pickup groceries and such and make delivery’s to our elderly family.
    We are allowed to leave the home for exercise. I do intend to drive them for a long drive to get to a park 30-60 minutes away.
    Make sure you guys get out of the house and get away from the everyday (new) routine. Go for a bicycle ride or a walk or run. It’s good for the mind and body.

Last night the Ohio Health director stated 40-60% of all Americans will have contracted this virus in the next year.
    Pitch in and help. We all have to for our families.

Texas57, ebs121781, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  30. Foutunately/unfortunately (whichever way you want to look at it) I work in pharma, so there's no real change for me other than we have segregated manufacturing and construction spaces to the point that no contractors are allowed in ANY part of manufacturing (hallways, restrooms, cafeteria included) and production employees are banned from construction areas.

On the bright side, my company is manufacturing components for the COVID-19 test kits, and we are pre-planning in the event that a viable vaccination is identified. If it is, we will be one of the primary producers in the US. Job security AND front-line stuff!

Projects are seeing little attention as my grandkids are over 2-3 times a week (not complaining), house still needs cleaning (THAT I complain about! :) ), and I gotta clean up in the garage just to get AROUND the projects!!

@The37Kid That's EXACTLY what my wife did all weekend! Heck, its even wearing on me...I spent 2 days in one drawer cabinet in the garage!!

Prayers for ALL of you and your families and friends! Stay safe and secluded...but find a way to keep your wits about you!!!!