Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ram Horns

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willywash, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Willywash

Willywash

Anyone have experience with the smoothie ram horn exhaust manifolds? I think they look really old school. I'll be using them on a SBC in a 31 Model A Coupe. Will I have problems with burning plug wires? Thinking they might look better then hugger headers. Any other problems to consider?

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Use them they look better than headers. You won’t burn plug wires as long as you route them correctly

mgtstumpy, Deuces, nunattax and 4 others like this.
  3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Gm built millions of cars with them, you can route the wires just as they did.

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

When using the factory Rams Horn exhaust manifolds, I take advantage of the little "web" that sits between the two center runners. I drill a hole through it, use an aftermarket, custom, 4 wire spacer, and use straight end plug boots. Simple and effective, with everything neat and tidy. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. Shorty

Shorty

upload_2020-3-21_17-57-32.png
    Found this....... hope it helps

7. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I’m using them, definitely look better than hugger headers.

8. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How important are those heat shields above the spark plugs?

Phil

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Used many sets , not one issue . There are a few different type in OEM configurations . 2 in exhaust , 2 1/2 exhaust , rt curve back , lt curve back , generator mount lt or rt . I have seen aftermarket models , I can not see why they would not be as nice as OEM . To me a street driven car , headers are a PITA x 10 . , not needed . I want to do more things than retightening bolts and replacing gaskets . Hell I have a rattle trap roach Harley if I need something to tighten up things on daily !

belair, foxforcefive, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. Blake 27

Blake 27

Just as Squirrel said, run the front wires behind the motor mount pad.
    This is how I routed my plug wires. HPIM0206.JPG

11. squirrel

squirrel

they were more important in the days before silicone plug wire boots, but Chevy used them for decades...and they don't like spending money they don't have to spend.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Smoothie, are you talking aftermarket manifolds, smoothed oem, what?
    "Old school", I'm old, not old school though.

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like has been said, if you're gonna use factory style exhaust, factory plug wire routing will work the best. There's a reason the factory did things the way they did. ;) I also like to use the stainless Banana Shields on 1&3 and 2&4 whenever possible. But that's just me though... :)

Kan Kustom and Deuces like this.
  14. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Years ago I no longer did headers, but instead went with ram horns. Stock ones had 2" outlets, whle the
    340hp Corvettes had 2 1/2" outlets. Check the web for Dorman products who offer the 2 1/2" ones for like
    $89 each, versus the $200+ you see from other people. I have used these without heat shields for years with
    no issues. They make some really simple spark plug wire holders that attach to your valve cover screws that work great. Look for them in Chevelle or Impala catalogs.

15. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I want to install the smoothie manifolds on my model a with a 350. Driver side is extremely tight. I am including a picture of a dimension i need to be sure it will fit my application. Can someone provide that? Or are they made to exact size of the OEM manifolds?
    dimension on header.jpg
    Thanks

16. Willywash

Willywash

I like the Tru Ram brand, but they are three hundred a pair. The arch raises higher than OEM and are completely smooth.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  17. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Use GM ram horns, corvette have bigger exhaust ports, think they sell them new.....

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

......and they're worth 10 more h.p. with the 2.500" dia. outlet..... ;)

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  19. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

This is how I ran my wires.. 20190424_193927.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  20. I've ran into plug clearance problems with repro 2.5" Corvette style rams horns and Vortec heads. I am going to headers to gain clearance, avoid burning boots/wires. I've tried shields and covers, not happy with the results. Your situation may vary, just my .02.

MCPO likes this.
  21. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

That's the problem. Rams horns don't fit Vortec heads. No one makes a pair that does fit 100%. Huge opening for someone to fill a big need.

Deuces and 427 sleeper like this.
  22. +2 on the Tru Rams.
    They are a kind of new option on the market and don't have that angular, lumpy, gusseted appearance of the older options. So toe-the-traditional-line owners who want every detail just like Fred flintstone did it might not appreciate the look. On the plus side, they have an actual collector and flow like headers so they're not just a pretty face.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here you go. image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

Looks like 3.4 inches. These were stock manifolds off a 66 Corvette (of course ;))

Phil

24. j3harleys

j3harleys

I have oem 2.5 early Corvette ram horns on a 1996 L31 Vortec in my 58 Impala. The fit fine. I have not had any problems with clearance or burning boots.

Deuces and pprather like this.
  25. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I use the factory heat shields. I just feel better.

Deuces likes this.
  26. Fiend42

Fiend42

Run the wires like the factory did with ramhorns, pictures are available. 1 and 3 ran down along the oil pan rail to pass the header.

27. tj

tj

I used 1 ton truck left side on A’s. It kicks in and back to get extra clearance on the steering shaft if needed. Don’t remember the part number. A lot of them cracked from the weight of the exhaust from not being supported. Standard ram horn on right side is okay.

blue 49 likes this.
  28. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Never liked the look of wires over the valve covers. Look at the info. Shorty provided. You can't go wrong doing it this way. Everything looks very tidy.

29. billthx138

billthx138

I always use rams horns, dont have to worry about the exhaust leaks associated with headers. Heres a routing method.
    100_8462.JPG 100_8397.JPG