Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bare metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotoman53, Mar 19, 2020.

1. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

Ok so I know I keep asking questions and I really do appreciate the help so much because I’m doing all of this by myself. So let’s get to the question I’m going to bare metal my truck what can I do to prevent rust? My brother in-law says he heard Pam. I’m not sure and just wanna see if anyone else has done it and what they put on it. Thanks in advance[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Rusty J

Rusty J

KBS Rust Blast for bare metal

desotoman53 likes this.
  3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

First and foremost keep your hands off the bare metal unless you are actually prepping it. My Suburban has been in bare metal for 20 years and only shows surface rust where people have touched it, I don't know why people can't resist touching bare metal.
    20180818_163641.jpg

This is what I used.

20161112_082442.jpg

desotoman53 likes this.

5. badshifter

badshifter

Paint. Preceded by primer and or sealer.

K13, Stooge, lurker mick and 8 others like this.
  6. I can’t understand why anyone would ever want to do this .
    The old steel is good,,,old steel,,,,,and someone wants to lay it bare and risk to the elements.
    Oh well,,,,,to each their own ,,,,,what about at least a nice primer coat ?
    Sorry man,,,,,,I just cringe thinking about it !

Tommy

7. Gofannon

Gofannon

8. dwollam

dwollam

Gibbs. Can be painted over.
    Plain old lacquer primer does nothing. Epoxy primer or similar is better.

Dave

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Are you louvers inside out ?

10. 81959E1E-7650-4AF3-B651-FD5CA29C51C0.jpeg There is a special look with bare metal. If left natural oxidation can look cool if controlled. Those that grind swerlie patterns is a big NO.
    Here in Buffalo weather is an issue and humidity in the summer. I painted mine with Duplicolor Engine enamel Clear. 5 Summers and still holding up.

11. Callmaker

Callmaker

A few years ago I did a bare metal on my truck after a year of no protection it looked like this.
    0065.jpg

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I can’t see anyone wanting a bare metal car. Oh well maybe I’m just old and cranky

Pete Eastwood and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. fresh hops

fresh hops

Another vote for Rust-Mort, I've had bare metal parts both in a heated shop and cold storage for years and they have not rusted.

14. I see the bare metal craze as a poser thing myself.

15. Callmaker

Callmaker

What does that mean? What is being posed? Please help me to understand!!

16. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

It looks cool, nice to have a clean body like that for sure. Sweet bodies don't seem like a fad to me.....it's art

Penetrator likes this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Gibbs. I used to build package 32 roadsters which involved bare metal Brookville bodies and bare metal new chassis and I always wiped them down with Gibbs. Never had a customer complain they couldn't paint over Gibbs.

gimpyshotrods and Dino 64 like this.
  18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Gibb's it's used on all the dragsters, paint = weight, plus cracks can be seen if they happen.

Pat

gimpyshotrods and Dino 64 like this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A kind of new trendy look of bearmetal ,other then it looks like that,yes it is fraught with being more probs with rust then doing a nice paint job. I see already a good number of A to Q that seem spot on for getting it to at last lest a little while. Try to pic one that lets you clean it up later with a little less work,for when you do really paint it some nice shiny color that will last a long time. Good luck n have fun were ya can.

desotoman53 likes this.
  20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you should take a picture of it so you have proof of your skill and effort in repairing/ restoring your beautiful truck. Then you should wipe it down and epoxy prime it on the way to painting it. I prefer shinny, but it's your truck.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That poor unibody!

Just Gary likes this.
  22. Ok I’ve got my flame suit on....this is stupid as fake patina....for god sake get some epoxy primer and cover that nice solid metal...hell if ya don’t wanna spray it roll it on...

23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

[​IMG]

Now here’s another piece of eye candy that does nothing less than astound. ‘Iron Fist’ is a 1936 Ford that was also built for James by Blue Collar Customs. Created using a chopped Flintstone body and a ’36 Ford SW kit by AMT. The color is actually called ‘Clear’, and was done by Daryl Hollenbeck’s Vintage Color Studio (it’s technically NOT paint…just CLEAR ; the interior is done in a deep, almost blood, red leather with a black dash and chrome accents. It appeared in Pleasanton, California at the Goodguys 30th All-American Get-Together and was greeted with much love. Back to the body ‘color’…why clear? Because Hetfield wanted to boast the great talent demonstrated by the builder, and he believed the best way to do this was to forego a traditional paint job in favor of ClearCoat only. Obviously he has a more-than-admirable amount of guts, and gloriously…it works.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  24. Bare metal ain’t new, it’s at least 30 year old thing.
    The look of bare metal, setting there all ready, messaged and filed, loved on, weld scars barely visible, staged in the spray booth, looks cool as hell. Can you restate that without the details ,,,

The look of bare metal looks cool as hell

I guess it’s up to the person right, metal guys can appreciate that bare look.
    Body guys want it painted. 17 shades of mud and undefined blotches looks like shit, the epitome of chaos and I can’t wait to get that covered up.

ABONES likes this.
  25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Bare metal is cool if youre a metal working god. But then it should still be covered with paint once the car is done. Thats just me. Nothing is sexier than some nice shiny paint

26. axel's40

axel's40

I wiped down all of my steel pile with canola oil about a year ago and is working well as I slowly use it up on my build ,especially helps on the sheet metal

27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Cool thread. Good information on what to use.

desotoman53 likes this.
  28. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

gimpyshotrods and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

I bought some Gibbs going to give it a try. My body isn’t perfect its got a lot of wounds from the years on this earth. But right now I’m going to bare it down and later on down the road I may change. Thanks for all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  30. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Just finished putting primer on a panel coated with Gibbs, just wiped it down with paint prep and came out fine. It had been in storage for many months

gimpyshotrods likes this.