Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2020 Banger Meet Thread***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 29, 2020.

1. I'm sure the extra hp will come sooner rather than later @Kiwi 4d

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i thought new Zealand was in lock down .

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was a small invite only gathering. But yes pretty much lock down now. This past weekend we had two large local car events so made the most of them.

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

sorry to hear , but take care down there .............

5. A buddy of mine called over the weekend from NZ.
    He was telling me that he was not coming over to the El Mirage race in May.
    The reason was that upon returning to NZ he would face quarantine for 2 weeks or more.

This doesn't look good for traveling anywhere, I just spent the last week traveling to the mid-west and I am quarantined next to the fridge with corona and lime.

John

Jet96, barrnone50 and winduptoy like this.
  6. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

This is all excellent info. Thanks for your insights.

I am running electronic ignition, and it was dialed in very nicely when I had my single 97 on there. Would I need to play with the timing at all with a different carb setup?

These are the new manufacture 81s, so I certainly hope it isn’t worn shafts, PV, etc. Is there a good method for checking for wear? Carb cleaner, or soapy water sprayed around certain areas?

I also don’t believe it’s sticky linkage, however, because if I pull up on the accelerator it has no effect.

Again, thank you.

PS: I also am pulling excellent vacuum. 22inHg

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , i totally miss read your post . getting to old i guess . glad all is well ......
    steve

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  8. 97

Just grabbing the throttle shaft and lifting it up and down will tell you if there is excessive wear, if you can feel it it is probably leaking air, if the carbs have diffeerent amounts of play that could be your issue.
    17-22 is normal idle vacuum, however 22 is on the high side, try taking the air cleaners off and see if vacuum drops, if it does the air cleaners are restricting flow, and that will mess with idle mixture and transition to the mains and power valve.
    I use a squirt bottle of clear gas/white spirits for checking for air leaks. If everything is new I doubt that it is a shaft leak, however the sticky linkage I was talking about is the linkage between the carbs, if they are slightly out of balance or have a little more movement on one arm, the carbs can open equally, but one can close slightly behind the other....or hang up a little.
    Air leaks can also be found in base gaskets and manifold gaskets, but a blip on the throttle doesn't usually fix that.
    I think I would double check that the float levels are identical , and fuel pressure is between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 ponds at all speeds, and that flow is adequate, about one quart per minute at 600 rpm.
    Then disconnect the linkage from the pedal and the interconnecting linkage from the carbs and use a balance gauge on the carbs , adjust the idle speed screws for equal airflow , reconnect the interconnecting linkage and check again... adjust the balance in the linkage without changing the idle speed screws... making sure the idle stops stay on the screws. There should be no discernable slop in the linkage from carb to carb , if one moves in either direction the other should do the same. Finally reconnect the pedal and check again , if it changes the linkage is moving unequally, do not adjust the screws , find the imbalance in the linkage. .
    Also make sure some of the main jets are not loose, that is something I have found in the past.

Remember if you are going to change power valves, the bigger the number the smaller the hole . ( The opposite to the main jets). I am unsure what range of sizes the new "genuine Stromberg " company makes...
    You may need to adjust ignition, timing, but if it was running great with a single carb I doubt that will be the issue.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Old Dawg likes this.
  9. railcarmover

railcarmover

Ordered a slug of parts saturday,tracking shows it in transit,so I'm ready for quarantine.Road call to the SF bay area yesterday so little traffic it was surreal.Im in rail,so hopefully as part of the logistics chain we'll stay active..scary stuff...

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i thought the bay was in lock down . yes it is serious . be safe

11. Jiminy

Jiminy

Yes, 12 counties around San Francisco Bay from wine country to south of Monterey are sheltering in place with no non-essential businesses open and no non-essential travel. It is spooky quiet.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thats really inconvenient , but today it seems necessary ............ lets hope it doesnt last long . been on self quarantine for like 2 weeks myself ...............

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Johnny Nitro
    I don't know how you have the linkage set connecting the two, No progressive on a banger, they both open at the same time.
    With the two carb setup you need to use a Uni-Syn, or such, to set the idle... so both carbs are flowing the same at idle. You do that with the linkage connecting the two, uncoupled. Some guys use a rubber hose in one ear and the other end listening to each carb inlet, adjusting until they sound the same.
    Once you get them adjusted uniformly, then tighten the linkage
    I suspect this might be your "sticky linkage"
    I just went thru this with the new 81's on my Vicky and one float was set way too high. You have to remove the carb top to check. I shut the gas off and drain down the bowl...I just loosen the check valve plug and let it dribble. Once the float drops, tighten the plug back up and turn the gas back on. Check the static level of the gas to the top of the bowl. It should level out at 15/32" +- 1/32"
    The new 81's have a sleeve installed in the accelerator pump bore as they used a 97 body and modified it for an 81. The sleeve is so a 81 pump can be used. The end of the sleeve is square, not radiused so loading a wet pump leather can be tricky. Don't hairlip the leather. I passed on to the folks at Stromberg that a radius would be easy for them to do in the manufacturing process.
    Good luck and let us know

fourd likes this.
  14. poshdbs

poshdbs

Events being cancelled left, right and center here in the UK. I'm sure lockdown will follow soon!

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@poshdbs that is going on here too, our State Governor pulled the plug several days ago on events and they just closed restaurants to take out only. I made a deal to sell out the business the first couple of months this year....I'm down to one contract and they will close down probably real soon... my timing was going to put me where I could go do all these fun things with old cars....well I'm going to stay put and work on all my projects in the shop. I'm teaching myself how to rebuild and time Model T coils today. Thank heavens for Priority Mail...I got new KW points yesterday
    Stay healthy and get some shop time in....

Jet96 and edfueler like this.
  16. 97

At least we can all keep ourselves somewhat sane , because we have this amazing worldwide brotherhood whom we can reach out to from the safety of our homes and workshops where we can keep busy with our own projects. 24/7 someone is on the HAMB . Thank you again Ryan.

Dannerr, edfueler, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

some one on the news said ............... 18 months b 4 its over . damn hope they are very wrong

18. railcarmover

railcarmover

I've got a call at the Port of Oakland tomorrow.There are no signs of enforcement on the shelter in place,no checkpoints..From what I was told today the Port of Oakland is active,goods are moving.

19. I was listening to the news tonight and some of the terms used to describe this situation.
    Unless I am mistaken, there is no "Lock down" or "Shelter in place" enforcement.
    The "Social distancing" is not mandatory, only suggestion to help slow the spread of the virus.
    If there were such orders, I would not have been able to get back home last week.

I will not complain, today I took my fire bottles in for bi-annual inspection and re-certification.
    The freeways were not crowded and moving quite well, unheard of going into downtown LA.

Trust me, if or when those orders come out, so will the arsenals. It has been amazing how many people have been buying guns over the last year and a half, especially here in California. Our local gun shop has been limiting the number of customers who can enter the shop for the last week.

Be safe, be smart and remember, if she sneezes it is probably not corona...............J

fourd likes this.
  20. Jiminy

Jiminy

Truckers are excluded and classified as an essential business.
    Jim

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the DOT has given trucks more hours of driving to get loads to consumers .
    good to hear about Oakland . Donner really made a shortage ......... be safe out there

22. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the steel wheels on. 7.50 x 16 on the back, 6.00 x 16 on the front. My water jet buddy cut spacers. Dust caps, what are you guys doing for dust caps on the front hubs? IMG_20200315_152537.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr, Jet96, woody45 and 7 others like this.
  23. Antique Nationals 2020 update

We have an update for the Antique Nationals. As of this morning the Antique Nationals date of May 9th has been put on hold. We will update everyone around April 15th, in case the state and county restrictions, and the Covid 19 Virus itself subsides. It appears unlikely that events will be held at the track prior to June. The track has offered us a make up date of our choosing, for dates that are open, but they do not know when they can start to reschedule.

I haven't heard anything about ElMirage or Bonneville yet.

John

Old Dawg, winduptoy and Crazydaddyo like this.
  24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That might give me time to fix my car

51 mercules likes this.
  25. walls

walls

Looks pretty mean the way it is.

winduptoy likes this.
  26. Jiminy

Jiminy

The entire state of California will be in shelter in place status as of tonite 2020/03/19.

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my 31 done.jpg
    very nice car ! i use what we used to call "spiders" on mine . i like the looks of them ...... steve

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  28. poshdbs

poshdbs

Pubs and restaurants ordered to close tonight and not open tomorrow. We're getting serious about it now in the UK. No lockdown as yet.

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yep , lots of closing here also ..........

30. ghalperin

ghalperin

I’ve been chasing a slight knock on my ‘33 Diamond block A motor at high RPMs. I thought it was a rod knock, but it turns out that 2 of the pistons were kissing the head. The old pistons have a weird little casting tit on the underside, the new pistons from CW Moss are smooth on the underside. I only had .019” clearance between the piston and the head, so I had the machine shop take .020” off the top of the new pistons. That’ll give me .039” clearance.
    1608230D-3C2B-4C65-BD73-209EDA9E5189.jpeg
    67C65F55-58E3-409B-B6C9-227DD05DB742.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Dannerr, Jet96 and burl like this.