Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing you have ever found at a wrecking yard???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jul 23, 2009.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

67 Chevy 2 . 2 door post car in Flagstaff ,Az. One owner 6 speed on the column. The woman that bought it new gave it to her daughter to go to college in Flagstaff at NAU. Well they were from the valley and didn't realize it did not have enough anti freeze in it and she parked and it got below zero.
    she cranked it up and the block had busted between the freeze plugs so it went to my friends yard and sat there for almost 10 years.
    I mentioned to him one day I was looking for a Nova. He told me about it and he delivered it to me at the Grand Canyon for $125.00 75 for the car and 50 for the tow. It had one rust spot about the size of a half dollar where the drain hose for the under dash A/C had rotted off. It still had the original exhaust system on it.
    I welded the block and drove it for a year while I was building a 350 and a th350.

Deuces and raven like this.
  2. Boden

Boden

39 ford coupe in the way way way back of the junkyward. It was chopped with an olds and 6 deuces. Early 3 speed and quick change. The front end was hit pretty hard and mangled the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Found A 1941 Ford Sedan Delivery (1966) For $25.75 (3 % Tax) And Made A 1940 Out Of It... DSCN0130.JPG

Deuces and jnaki like this.
  4. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

In the summer of 1977, a buddy and I headed out for Saturday night cruise night, my 69 Mach1 and his 70 Boss 302, and we went by to wait for another friend to get off work who also had a 70 Boss. He worked at a gas station/car wash that had a little strip mall wrapped around it, so we pulled in and parked, 3 Stangs in a row, got out and sat on the hoods to watch the gurlz go by. A 70 SS454 Chebbelle pulled in, real clean, silver-grey with black stripe and a black vinyl top, and we start yakking with the passenger while our friend filled it up, see ya later and into the car wash they go. Saw the car later a couple times cruising around. So Monday morning at work, we had a job fixing up the parking lot at a local dealership who also had the AAA tow trucks and impound yard at the rear. They told us to just take the broken asphalt and stuff back there and pile it up in the corner of the fenced impound yard, and in a while one of them unlocked and opened the gate. About 9, I headed back there with a loader bucket full of chunks, and as I went thru the gate, hey that looks like that Chebbelle- then I saw the foot-wide blood stain running down the passenger door. got up next to it, and the hood and front bumper were V'd between the tires, and the engine was under the dash- damn.. Had to look, and there was a big stain of blood and skin bits on the headliner over the driver's seat and on the steering wheel and dash. Tow truck driver said yeah, we brought that one in about 2AM Sunday. Had to drive back and forth past it all day- not a good day

6. brjnelson

brjnelson

I have been lucky at junk yards my whole life.
    1. Ford 9 inch with N on the housing $40
    2. a Lincoln Zephyr headlight $10 ( no other Zeph parts anyplace at the yard, I looked in every spot.)
    3. 30 years ago, there was a OLD V8-60 powered arc welder, I took the 81 carb off it, got to the junk yard office, they asked where I found the carb, I told them, they said I had to buy the whole welder to get the carb, $60 :)
    4. My old man found a set of General Jumbo wheels with the caps! on a home made hay wagon at a yard by Minot

7. Deuces

Deuces

'68 was the first year for a GT/CS....

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I will assume this is a typo!

Deuces likes this.
  9. Found this 37 Ford pedal car for $5. It was in a farmers sink hole dump. I was looking for 32 Chevy parts and saw it in the dump. I built a pull-stroller out of it. I've used it for my two girls, and four grandkids. First picture is my wife and daughter and recent second picture It's now priceless. 444.jpg 2350.jpg

10. Deuces

Deuces

That is cool...... :)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

Nice job! Is the young lady behind the stroller today the one in it in the early photo?
    BTW, pretty cool that she is wearing a vintage Super Bell shirt too ;)

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. The one with her arm up in the air is my oldest, and the one in the first photo. They all used it. It will be passed down to any and all future kids. My wife in first photo, is in center of the second. That pedal car must have more miles than any other one ever. Thanks Ron..........

cfmvw likes this.
  13. 13lav

13lav
    from San Diego

The AZ junkyard was awesome. There was a 63 impala station wagon that had a 409.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Attached Files:

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

In a small junk yard near Kittery, Maine, not really a junk yard, but many cars behind a service garage (maybe heating and plumbing place) there was a 1955 Chevy with a chop top, with the window shield still in it (broken), upside down with the frame gone.

15. I didn't think there were any more good yards left. He must either not sell anything or want way too much for them or I would think that they would be scarfed up by now.
    That looks like a great yard!

Deuces likes this.
  16. redoxide

redoxide

Im a regular at the local crusher come steel stockist. One day I walked in and the boss asks If can use one of those big G clamp things. Tools are tools so I said yep sure .. OK pull your tailer into the shed ? That puzzled me for a bit .. Turned out the G clamp was pretty big .. It was a RANALAH English wheel like new in original orange paint .. £50 the value of its weight in cast iron at the time .. :)

METAL MELTDOWN, egads, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I was driving by an old junk yard, on my motorcycle, that they were clearing out for urban renewal. Most things were going into dumpsters , heading to the scrap yard. But they saved three old Ford banjo type rear ends and had them set out front to sell. I stopped and asked how much? He said $10 apiece! I said I’ll take the one on the end! And paid him! I went home , got my truck, and loaded up my Columbia.

I was at the shop/ salvage yard and spotted a nine inch pumpkin, with obviously burnt gears in it laying in front of the shop. I asked about it, he said it’s junk! I asked how much? He said it’s junk! But if you want it.... load it! So I don’t have to mess with it! Ok..... I loaded a 31 spline , N-case , traction lock into my truck!

I was at a small small gas station, when I was a kid, and my Dad made a deal to buy a 1936 Ton and a half, parked out back , for $25. But the deal was , we had to take the old car that was next to it also! So we loaded the truck, took it to the ranch..... and came back and loaded a ‘50 model Mercury two door club coupe.

I bought an very slightly OT big Merc, twenty years ago, complete for two hundred dollars. I’m pulling the 428 Super Maurader engine out of it, as we speak, to build for my avatar car.

I bought what I though was a good Dana 44 trac lock , to use parts out of for $50. It turned out to be a semi floating Dana 60 track lock!

My local junk yard sold “ any” car type rear end for $50! I pulled at least seven N cases out of there!

Now..... let me tell you all the times I paid high dollar........for junk! Lol

Bones

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    egads, belair, redoxide and 1 other person like this.
  18. topher5150

topher5150

I think I have you all beat
    franklin.jpg

egads, Deuces, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  19. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

About 15 years ago, found a schwinn phantom frame, tank, fork in poor but restorable condition. Paid$10. Traded off for several other parts.

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. I'm not so sure? Just a few of the ones that I've found, and drug home. 424.jpg 445.jpg 459.jpg 447.jpg 407.jpg 468.jpg 476.jpg

21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s that Air cooled car! Franklin?

Bones

Ron Funkhouser and Deuces like this.
  22. topher5150

topher5150

It is....or was

Boneyard51, Ron Funkhouser and Deuces like this.
  23. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well I didn’t find anything but someone else found my 40 year old Craftsman sockets I left on a fender while I walked back to my car for a couple more tools. Didn’t take anything else. Looked around but didn’t see anyone else in the area.

Many decades ago while looking for better grill sections for my 41 Ford then we’re in the car the owner of the junk yard produced all three sections brand new from a shelf in one of his buildings. They were still wrapped in the original paper and cardboard packing. Bought them on the spot with no bargaining.

Deuces likes this.
  24. redoxide

redoxide

Just yesterday I was tipped off that due to a bereavement a large stash of sheet metal work equipment was being sold along with several lathes and other gear. Very interested I asked where . I was shocked to hear that it was an old fella that I knew to speak to and we crossed paths a few times an always have long wandering conversations. Last time I saw him was just a month of so ago and he was rather hourse . It turned out he had been misdiagnosed and that he was now confirmed that he had throat cancer . I didnt know he had passed away, sadley he had, and the stuff he had basically hoarded was now being sold . I had been in his place and I had a good idea what it was like in the rambling buulding.

He had no family just a female companion and a few life time friends .

The 2 guys closest to him had been left to clear the place and had no idea where to start ..Asking around they contacted folk that knew me and I was blessed with a contact telephone number .

I called the guys and was told " be here Tuesday at 11am" I was there 15 mins early . As I pulled up to the place a girl stepped from a car parked on the opposite kerb. she stared at the front wheel of her car then looked across to me .. I asked if she had a flat tyre, she did and sought help.. so I swapped her wheel and she went on her way ..

10 mis later the fella turned up and I was let loose in the building making a list of the machines and equipment and noting its condition, good , very good, scrap.. etc ..

Any way I found a small lathe with a full set of tools, a 3 jaw, 4 jaw and faceplate , travelling steady and fixed steady etc you get the picture .. The wiring in the building was a bit suspect and the lathe didnt power up, possibly a fuse ..

I asked the fella what he wanted for this lathe . He told me quite firmly £125.. I said OK I will offer you £400 and shoot myself in the foot when I tell you that its probably worth £700 or more if you have time to sit on it ... He stood back, asked me is I was serious .. I said yep an he said SOLD..

He then asked me about other tools and equipment in there, most of it they had no idea . They has a scrapdealer in who offered £2000 for the lot .. I estimated there to be at least £20,000 worth of gear at saleable prices .. He was stunned , so I set about asking him how he valued the stuff. He asked me , "whts that" and pointed to a top quality british made 18 inch throat fly press with tools on its factory stand .. I asked what he valued it at .. "£60" I didnt laugh but felt sorry that the stuff was being undersold and the old fella I knew would be spinning in his grave .. I told him if he went to buy it new, and that one was in new condition, he could expect to pay upward of £3000.. but used , and being a usefull but fairly neice piece of equipment for a quick sale he could expect an easy £600.. so if he expected £60 he now had lots of wiggle room and would definately make more fr the old guys life partner .. This process went on, valuing press brakes, milling machines, stomp shears, and identifying other equpmnet .. He asked If I wanted anythig else , I told him I was interested in the large tool chest blocked in by other gear.. I told him it was full of tools but I didnt want the tools , just the box , and offered £100 , on the proviso I got first option of the tools inside when I come to collect .. He said I could have it with the tools .. I probably will have most of them but I wont take them for free.

I was quite saddened that folk had been buying stuff for butons and selling it for a great profit.. Sure it was the asking price but when he told me that they sold a 3 phase ACDC 400amp tig plant for £80 I was nearly sick for them..

Dealing with professionals who dont have a clue is one thing, dealing with real people who are left to do an old dead guy a favour and clear out his stash is another .. I have to say, If I met with the old fella at his place close to his passing im 100% sure he would have given me stuff , and Im 100% sure I would have insisted I paid, and I think both of us would have understood each other .. :)

Take head all you hoarders, sell your shit before someone with good intentions gives it all away or worse it goes to the crusher ..Not everyone values our stuff the way we do, no need to kick the arse out of it but a fair price to someone that appreciates your shit is better than it being left to rot or melted down:)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Thor1, Algoma56, woodsnwater and 9 others like this.
  25. Crocodile

Crocodile

Good on you, My man! Nice that you could give honest guidance, and be given some good purchases as a reward as well.

26. goldmountain

goldmountain

This reminds me of the 340 hp 409 I found at the dump sitting in a '64 Pontiac. We had combinations like that in Canada. Anyhow, the guy working at the dump helped us pull it out with the bucket from his loader for free.

Thor1 likes this.