Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's a 52 fleetline worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Taylor J onion, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Others are right here offer less and try and get a deal.... but first still put it up on a hoist and just get a idea what you are in for before you make a offer. That’s my fatherly and old car guy advice.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. According to my insurance company (Hagerty) the cars of the '50s are quickly losing value as the collectors who grew up with these cars are aging out.
    Something to think about when you make an offer...

3. Irvan

Irvan

I think that car will be gone by Wednesday if it's advertised under 5k.

dan31, VANDENPLAS, Jay71 and 2 others like this.
  4. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Depends on how many rolls of bung hole paper are in the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS, bobss396 and Tri-power37 like this.
  5. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Hope not! I rented a trailer allready would go tomorrow but its 2 hrs away and in truck driver with a 500 mile route
    Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

I'm impressed and even a bit shocked that the lowballer's club didn't jump on this one full force like they usually do, kind of a breath of fresh air.

The one pic just isn't enough to really give a good price. If the engine is junk, the floor supports are rotten, and the paint and body looks like trash when it's not wet, this could be a $1500 car. If it fires up and runs good with little effort, has nice clean floor supports and only minor rust repairs needed in the floor, and the paint is decent enough to leave it alone, I could easily see the $5K+ pricing others have posted.

They're pretty cars for sure, but it needs a thorough look-over before a solid price number can be nailed down.

7. Slopok

Slopok

I'm lookin' forward to Wednesday!:cool:

Nostrebor likes this.
  8. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Understood pictures really can deceive, fingers Crossed its worth what hes willing to negotiate with, been looking for something like this for a while now they don't come up to often not allready butchered on the east coast from what I can see

Hnstray and Nostrebor like this.
  9. Slow down

Slow down

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]this is on kijjij up here same as Craig’s list. $1500.00 firm no mention of running or stopping. Sorry had to do screen shots.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

From here the car looks pretty cool. Checking for rust is vital. Get under the car and look it over, frame, floor braces, floor, etc. Unless you have a body shop, rust is expensive to fix. The No. 4 price listed above is $4,600, so the seller may have used the price guide to arrive at his asking price. I hope it is good enough rust-wise for you to acquire it, and I hope you then have many miles and years of having fun with it.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Admitted soft spots in floors = swiss cheese...

12. This car, as any other car considered needs an up front and personal inspection.
    After inspection consider needed parts/repair, and your personal skills/bank account.
    Chrome plating, upholstery, body/paint work, are all expensive, and time consuming if you have to utilize an outside source.
    Be honest with your abilities, and try to stifle your emotions when negotiating.
    Picture looks good, but owner had the privilege of taking pictures that would show the car in the best light.
    Good luck.

13. Yeah. $5000 would be the top end if the floors are soft. At work, the boss had a 51 fleet 2 dr that has solid floors. At $2500 We had no takers

14. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Where are you from I'm in NJ and rust buckets are all big money still

dan31 likes this.
  15. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Hnstray likes this.
  16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have said it before and I'll say it again, "whatever you pay for it, in a month if you needed to sell it for an emergency operation, could you get your money out of it" scrappin metal suggested 5g's I think that that offer is starting at the top and the guy will not go down if you offer that. I would start at 2500. and if you can't get him down to 3500. walk away and concider the ride there an education. I've seen too many people get upside down on these things because the watch BJ or read the Old car price guide. Good luck.

Pat

ClarkH and Hnstray like this.
  17. wvenfield

wvenfield

Around here if I could find that for $1500 it wouldn't matter if it ran or stopped. It wouldn't matter if it was just a roller. I'd be taking the money to get it.

18. What part of the country also makes a big price difference.
    Up here in NY most of the early cars are far gone past the rockers and if someone has worked on it, who knows what they did. I have seen many that looked OK and when torn into, the repairs were more than the cost of a better car.
    Floors and rockers are the big issue on these 49-54 cars.

19. hotrod1120

hotrod1120

Had a 51 fastback back in 1960. Loved it. The value of the car is based upon how fast your heart is beating when you see it and your bank account.

20. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

He's at 4700 obo right now tomorrow I'll haggle if I decide it's worth it

Hnstray likes this.
  21. Slopok

Slopok

When he sees that you brought a trailer he knows you aint goin' home lite!
    Maybe park it around the corner.

harpo1313 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  22. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Orrr he figures I'm carrying cash and will want to unload it, it could go either way lol

wheeldog57 and Squablow like this.
  23. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my opinion based upon the information posted here. Take $3500.00 in cash with you. If the vin number and title match, fan out the wad of $100.00 bills and offer $3000.00. Do NOT go past $3500.00, better to walk away than to be swayed by the looks and shape of the car ! Your wallet will live to fight another day! I love those cars also, good luck!
    HAMMER MAN.jpg

24. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

I was planning on taking 4k but trying to get close to 3500

25. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

kidcampbell71 and wvenfield like this.
  26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My take on that is a bit different....and....is based on actual personal experience. I have gone long distances for a car I was interested in, even though I thought the price was likely too high. In all cases though, the cars had been on the market for awhile.

I took money and my trailer. After a sufficient examination of the cars, I told the seller that I really liked the car, but thought it was priced beyond what I was willing to pay (I did not say more than it is worth as that is argumentative). I then thanked them for showing me the car and said "I guess I'll just be going home with an empty trailer" and headed for my truck. And I was willing to leave with an empty trailer.

However, knowing I had come some distance equipped to do business, they were genuinely surprised, and no doubt a bit disappointed. Each said a variation of "well, what would you give?"...or..."you don't want it at any price?". I then made a reasonable offer but said "this is the best I feel I can do and no hard feelings if you want to wait and see if you can get closer to your asking price". They may have hem and hawed a bit, but chose to accept my offer and I loaded the car and brought it home.

Now, I am not bragging about this. Fact is, I do not enjoy haggling. Merely saying that was my approach when looking at a car priced higher than I was willing to pay. For cars I like, priced more in line with what I feel comfortable with, I am an easy sell.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  27. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

I've done this before as well people see the opportunity to off a car at the moment and get there money and usually jump on it, this car was listed awhile ago and "sold" 1 month later it's back up again and he said deal fell thru, maybe left a deposit and never came back who knows

arkiehotrods and Hnstray like this.
  28. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

When I bought the 57 the guy wanted $1000.00
    This was in 1990. The floors and rockers were rusted out, the interior was a mess, motor stuck, not even my style of car, etc. But it was a 57 Chevy! He took $800.00 and when I got it torn apart it was WAY worse than I thought. But it was a 57 Chevy! It took me a long time to get it fixed up and running. I learned so much about rebuilding cars. The good the bad and the ugly.
    I almost gave up a few times but I still own it and still drive the hell out of it. Man, if this is the car you want just go for it! Keep us posted and good luck!

wvenfield likes this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

I would also investigate (since you have a bit of time) about the NC issued VIN, i/e is it a plate or sticker, and how/where is it attached? I may have missed mention about where you're located, but maybe run it by your DMV/Etc, and make sure it's all done correctly.

Hope all works out for you!

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Since it is usually over 75 miles from here to go look at cars and trucks for sale, the trailer goes along also. I have never felt bad about bringing it home empty.

LM14 and Hnstray like this.