Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Full roller rocker contact on valve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There's always the easy way out after clearance work is done.
    [​IMG]

Montana1 likes this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My Brodix heads , the pushrod clearance/rocker centering was off even with adjustable guide plates , brodix said be very cautious grinding next the intake ports , I decided to leave them slightly off center and have had no ill effects in 50 k miles. ..

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ "A man's got to know his limitations"
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Simple...

Don't recall who...but one of the cam/valve train manufacturers makes..."adjustable" width... guide plates.

Start searching. I'll give it a try later.

Mike

Ha...yep, missed that sentence..!
    Grind away. Centering the rockers on many engines...require some clearancing. Had to do the same on an engine I built a short while back, and it is even a shaft rocker design..!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  5. Budget36

Budget36

Those are self aligning, but once the clearance was done, what purpose would they serve?

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No guide plates needed.

7. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Guys who have been playing around with aftermarket heads in the performance arena will tell you that it is VERY common to have to grind on the heads for pushrod clearance. Doesn't matter what company makes the head, or how cheap or expensive the head is..... best to check it during a trial assembly, that way you avoid having to seal up the engine everywhere to do the clearancing after it is assembled.
    If you don't have to do a bunch of them, a rat tail file loaded up with grease will keep filings from scattering all over.
    It's actually a bigger surprise to NOT have to grind on the head at all, I'm to the point I expect to have to clearance somewhere on any aftermarket head
    The style of split guideplate that you are working with is intended to be tack welded after you get them set....pretty much the same thing we used to have to do after splitting a 1-piece for adjustment in the old days.
    Jomar makes a different style that is far better and doesn't need to be welded.
    https://www.competitionproducts.com...5_16-8-Pack/productinfo/JOM1501/#.Xm2VUUBFy70

8. Budget36

Budget36

But, they would force the assy to be aligned Issue is if the rocker cannot sit properly on the valve,SA' would force it against the head, not a good thing. Or what am I missing?

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

GM Engineers went this route. But you'd still need to clearance the head so push rod won't rub.

10. Here's a
    Just tell you're buddy that it's fucked up and walk out :D:D:D

sleepchamber, Budget36 and upspirate like this.
  11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

This is the reason why it cost's so much for a custom built engine. I have spent many hours aligning valve train geometry. Grinding heads , modifying guide plates , etc. You cant just bolt together a bunch of aftermarket parts and expect it all to fit like factory parts.

Budget36, egads, INVISIBLEKID and 4 others like this.
  12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Alexsparts.com has adjustable guide plates as well as many valve train parts at affordable prices , I've bought from him many times and his stuff is hood quality....

13. Budget36

Budget36

Mike,

You might have missed it, but he has adjustable guide plates.

But all is well now that we have a plan:)

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

I'm pretty sure you answered your own question in post #7

15. Budget36

Budget36

Yes, but I'm glad the thread kept going, now I know they need to be welded together when set up. He'll borrow a suitcase tig when the time comes.

16. This is what I have now,
    DRT27001410-4_350.jpg
    but next time I'm going to use self aligning rockers.
    pro-66915_ml.jpg

17. Budget36

Budget36

Those are the plates he has. I'll see if he wants to go SA or use what he has, researching things a while back seems Scorpion has a good rep, albeit still an Al. rocker, but for an occasional use vehicle, should be good for him, better that the Proforms he has now I'd think.

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I'm just curious, do the split guide plates need to be welded to keep the individual pieces from unscrewing the rocker arm studs?

19. Budget36

Budget36

That's what was mentioned above, and good info to know. See post #37.

20. I torqued mine to 35# after I got them adjusted. I had to remove the rockers to get a socket on the studs. I reassembled everything, including the stud girdle and ran it to make sure it was where I wanted them. All of a sudden everything is too complicated.

I didn't weld them and they haven't moved in about 3000 miles, so far.

s55mercury66 likes this.