Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

When you get extra time go on e bay and buy your self some leather accelerator pumps for your 2 barrel carbs, you will never have to replace them........ever. Couple of good places on e bay to buy your jets from to, your jets are way to big for this set up. I like your project. I wish you the most success. Fun project for sure. Make sure you soak the leather accelerator pumps in some oil , not much , just a little will do.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  2. Ok. I'll look into that. Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and AChopped1950ford like this.
  3. At this point we are thinking that the single point distributor and OEM coil are not providing enough spark. Considering the large cam, 10.5 to 1 compression, and four carburators we're going to add a Petronix HEI and flame thrower coil and see what happens. What do y'all think? IMG_20200227_102801.jpeg

loudbang and AChopped1950ford like this.
  4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve had the Pertronix 3 stock look distributor and their recommended coil in the 350 in my ‘56 for several years now and it works great. But I don’t think lack of spark intensity is your problem, still got the 60 jets in there?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

don colaps, Blues4U, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thinking and trying are two different things. Try single points first. Didn't Moriarity say not to fix a lot of things at one time?

6. alchemy

alchemy

How about repaint and reupholster while you're at it?

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  7. I do have blocked power valves and 60 jets.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Already reupholstered the interior. Done that about 3 months ago. Here's photos of the process.... IMG_20200203_125215.jpeg IMG_5501.jpeg

9. He did. This is the next step my friends wanted to go to....they have always suspected there was a problem with the distributor.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

To add about single points. No matter the ignition source to any type of explosion requires to proper oxygen to fuel for maximum affect.

11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know I'm a little late to the party, and I don't want to speak out of turn, but as far as the distributor goes, it will be just fine. I noticed in your pic that the breaker cam appears to have no lube, possibly causing pre-mature wear on the rubbing block itself, causing the points to close, possibly causing the popping you mentioned, at speed. It looks to be a nylon wear block on the points, they wear fast with no lube. Maybe try to find a good set of vented points with a phenolic rubbing block, lube the breaker cam, and see if that cures the popping at speed. The rest is carburation. You might also want to put in a new set of spark plugs so you can get a good read on what is going on from cylinder to cylinder. Just thinkin' out loud...

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ It's a cast iron unit as well.

13. I agree. Still experimenting....

Please, any advice is appreciated!

loudbang likes this.
  14. Will do. Thank you!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If the dwell and timing are ok, why mess with the distributor? the factory single point unit is one of the most bullet proof and trouble free units out there.... #60 carb jets are at least 10 too fat for a man a fre

16. carbking

carbking

When we had our telephone conversation, I told you I was staying out of this thread, as I have no experience with the Man-A-Fre.

Am going to jump in on a point not related to tuning.

Once you get the system running to your satisfaction; consider bending permanent metal fuel lines. The long lines such as you have just plain scare me; whether they are plastic or modern ethanol resistant whatever. Makes it difficult to even look at an otherwise very interesting system. Metal lines don't flop in the breeze, get tangled in the fan, or other nasty scenarios, and are simply not that difficult to bend.

Moriarity - for my own education, do you have the power valves blocked in your set-up; or are you still running power valves? If you are, did you adjust/replace the springs on the power valve control valves in the airhorns?

Jon.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

[QUOTE="carbking, post:

Moriarity - for my own education, do you have the power valves blocked in your set-up; or are you still running power valves? If you are, did you adjust/replace the springs on the power valve control valves in the airhorns?

Jon.[/QUOTE]

I am still running the power valves with the stock springs. I think a big part of the problem with the setup we are talking about here is too much camshaft. but I am not there and have not heard it run so it is all guesswork on my part

18. carbking

carbking

Moriarity - Thanks, that explains your comment about the .060 jets being 10 numbers too large.

Nicholas Coe - You mentioned your power valves are blocked, with 0.060 jets.

Do you have the power valves which could be reinstalled?

I understand blocking the power valves on a trailered drag car, and I still have no experience with the Man-A.Fre. However, we found when we were building Rochester 2-barrels for circle track use, there was a huge advantage in tuning the power circuit on any track where the driver had to lift on the corners. Other than the afore-mentioned trailered drag car, or end carbs on a progressive tripower, I have found no other reason to ever block the power valves. Maybe a salt flats racer would be another case. Blocking the valves pretty much guarantees the carb(s) will be too rich at anything other than WOT. Something to consider.

We also found on the smaller circle tracks we could noticeably improve lap times by narrowing the choke shafts, pop-riveting in the choke plates, and locking the choke plates in the wide open position; rather than removing the chokes completely.

Jon.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Experimenting", in the world science, and yes even working on engines is a science. Never does one over lap stages of work together. To do so can lead to worsening of situation. Now!, if lucky when changing all things at one time. What fixed the situation of several repairs made at the same time? Listen to Moriarity and baseline to the specs. he's given.

catdad49 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Negative. I am a proponent of electronic ignition, but the truth is a single point distributor that is working correctly will provide plenty of spark to fire the mixture. Just make sure it is operating properly, don't replace it; at least not because you think a single point distributor provides insufficient spark.

21. Ken Hamel

Ken Hamel

On page 1 of this post there is a picture of the manifold on the engine, and right below it is a picture of a Man A Fre set up on a table (the pic with the kids bike) They appear to be different manifolds. Then the last picture appears to be of a completely different manifold, greasy carbs that are not bolted to the manifold. Am I mistaken?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Here is an old post on Man a Fre that might help.https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/man-a-fre-sbc-manifold.288242/ From a earlier post I remember a few more things we ran power valves on 3 carbs. The carb on 5 and 7 was different because those cylinders fire consectively the rest have 2 cylinders between them. the 5-7 carb needs to be richer some people even ran a bigger carb in that position. you will need to set the power valves for 6 to 8 " idle vacuum. Tow more sites that might help https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=83411c2726c90b0457cef631cfb37db4&action=view http://hotrodcarbs.com/store/new-rochester-carburetor-parts.html

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  23. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Looks like too many chiefs & not enuff Indians, and who the hell routed the fuel lines...?

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  24. Yes. You are correct. The one on the car is the same as the greasy one. That photo was prior to restoration. The one on the table is a duplicate set up built by the same guy.

25. Thank you! I'll definitely look into that source. The larger or richer carb at 5&7 makes sense.

26. I am still running the power valves with the stock springs. I think a big part of the problem with the setup we are talking about here is too much camshaft. but I am not there and have not heard it run so it is all guesswork on my part[/QUOTE]Yes. I do agree. It is most likely the cam that is causing most of our problems. The power valves were blocked due to the very low vacuum at idle. We were thinking that they were not properly closing and therefore dumping fuel at idle. We went with much larger jets after blocking the power valves to get back the throttle response. We could certainly be wrong here. We do have everything needed to return to regular power valves and much smaller jets. Thank you so much for your advice and guidance.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  27. Crazy lines I know. I've had several people concerned about them. Unfortunately that is how they were routed on the movie car. That's not a real reason to keep them though. Those just happen to be a favorite part of the car for me.

Here's the movie car before different carbs were added. Note the terrible shape the car was in due to neglect. Several things had been stolen and damaged.

Here's mine next to the original... Steve%20Fitch%20Circa%2081-84%20(1).jpeg IMG_20200311_191213.jpeg

catdad49 and bchctybob like this.
  28. Ken Hamel

Ken Hamel

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  29. Ken Hamel

Ken Hamel

Your car looks really good. I am looking for the Graffiti Style steering wheel. You wouldn't happen to know of one for sale would you?

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  30. No,
    Unfortunately I don't. It is an odd one. I believe it is a Covico brand. The rings in the wheel are really what makes it unique. I bet you can find one on the interwebs somewhere!