Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 4 SpeedTop Loader, 1 stop shopping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Mar 12, 2020.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Going to rebuild a Ford Top Loader looking for a knowledgeable supplier for top loader parts. You Ford boys got a favorite place to go? Thanks!

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Heard his name more than once, so he must be the man. Thanks!

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Rich, Planning on doing the rebuild myself just need parts & info tips! Have a call into David Kee if he doesn't call back I will give Pete's a call! Thanks!

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Is this book worth 25 bucks?
    s-l500.jpg

ffr1222k likes this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes it is. I have the book and its what I am using to rebuild my Liberty prepped top loader.
    Liberty's Gears makes parts for racing top loaders. won't see it on their website. Have to call and ask.

brigrat and ffr1222k like this.
  8. town sedan

town sedan

Hope you have better luck than I had trying to contact him. There are others out there and I'm sure the guys here will remember their names.
    -Dave

9. garage2small

garage2small

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a rebuild kit from David Kee. It came with instructions. I have never done a transmission rebuild but rebuilt my 1966 top loader and converted it to a top shifter at the same time. Came out fine. Lots of stuff on you tube on rebuilding them.

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

My brother just bought a entire Race prepped top loader from David Key. It was a bit pricey but it’s supposed to be able to handle the Blown SBF with no problem. It’s by far the nicest 4 speed I’ve ever laid hands on. I don’t know about how hard it is to contact him we didn’t have any problems buying a complete tranny from him. He is supposed to have all the internals for replacement if we need and they are supposed to be far superior to the factory style parts.

12. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I would check out ebay for your rebuild kit. You can even get used gears off there cheap.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Agree that David Kee is a bit hard to contact, but he's an OK guy, just busy I guess.
    Dan Williams has a lot of stuff, including some scsrce Hurst shifter parts and pieces. Nice old guy who likes to talk, so call him on a toll free phone!
    There another guy I've bought sme gaskets from., Cajun John or something on that order.
    I sure would like to know where to get that book!

town sedan likes this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

DOM, If your talking about the book I posted above there all over E-Bay. If you don't like E-Bay I would be glad to get you one and send your way, they range from $25 to $50!
    David Kee did call me this morning and yes very nice, took all the time I needed so will do bizz with him! Thanks again!

town sedan likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Competition Products has it in their catalog. That's were I got mine. I had a coupon from them and was ordering my Howards Cam anyway.

town sedan likes this.
  17. Another vote for David Kee, I got everything I needed no problem, that was 15 years ago so things may have changed in that time, I would still try him first. Assembly is pretty straight forward, I recommend a dummy shaft for the cluster gear roller bearings, 22 year old me didnt have one but I managed to get it together and the 4 speed still works just fine as of yesterday during a burrito run.

brigrat likes this.
  18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

At the front end of the counter shaft there is a metal plug, how do you get that out so you can drive the shaft out the back on removal? If you have to ruin it does it come in the kit?

19. brigrat likes this.
  20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yep, That's the rebuild I am following unfortunately they skip that part or their tranny didn't have the plug!

21. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Paul is very knowledgeable about manual transmissions and he has many YouTube videos about rebuilding them. He was very helpful to me when I was working on the Richmond 5 speed in my Bonneville car. I called his shop and he talked me thru every question I had. He also makes parts to upgrade Hurst shifters, really took out a lot of the slop in the linkage.
    https://www.5speeds.com/t5.htm
    good info on his site.

brigrat likes this.
  22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

My mistake, there is no "plug" in front of counter shaft. There was a plug in front of 1 of the shift shafts so I got tunnel vision thinking that what I was looking a. Tranny is apart now for inspection before ordering parts. Need to find "spec's" on tolerances, etc. Thanks!

dirty old man likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The link provided by "PocketNick" leads to a DIY site that also sells books as well as free DIY bulletins which you can subscribe to.
    They are having a 50% off sale still on for another 7 days on the books. Be sure and read closely to get the discount. You have to enter the discount code 50 in the slot provided on the first page of the order and clk the apply discount box on a later page to get it.
    I ordered 3 books, one is the one shown here on this thread, plus 2 on Holley carbs.

brigrat likes this.