Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Customized '40 Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed! I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. There are a lot of "what not to do" ideas as well as some enticing style enhancements that really worked in my opinion. And that says something considering how cool they look from the get go.

2. On pg 6 Custom City, Elmer Fields, and Andrews and Evans were the 50's So Cal places to see Rods and Customs.

ZZLEGEND likes this.
  3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

John, pg 6 of what? This thread, or somewhere else? I remember Custom City, and Andrews & Evans,
    but I don't think that they have been referenced here.

I remember seeing an immaculate, Ardun-powered '40 coupe for sale at Custom City. I think they were asking $895 for it; small change today, but it seemed like all the money in the world then.

chryslerfan55 and Chili Phil like this.
  4. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

I never herd of that book nor the Bob Gregorie comment. But I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the '39 and '41 were both fresh designs and the '40 was "just" a face lift. He might have been more excited about the creativity involved.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That makes sense to me. He was particularly proud of the rear corners of the '41, in which the fenders, decklid and tail pan all merge together as one continuous surface. Personally, I like the separate forms of the '39/'40 just fine.

chryslerfan55 and arkiehotrods like this.
  6. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Bob Gregorie designed the Lincoln Continental. The first iteration (1940-41) has frequently been described an American classic. He preferred the post war "bloated" version. So much for good taste.

7. High School Hot Rod...Wyandotte Mi...Downriver Area of Detroit...home of Bill Hines, Dick Dean, Chuck Miller, Mike Gator Gaydos... 82B93164-194B-4DFD-AC40-C03B8015D0FC.jpeg

1pickup, Stogy, chevyfordman and 6 others like this.
  8. 50Fraud, My old 39/40 Merc and Glen Hookers Merc, Glen measuring chop tops, I know this is 40 Fords but you were interested in Glen Hookers Merc, it's on the left, my old chopped, channeled, and sectioned merc on the right, it's now owned by Gordy Brown
    [​IMG]

1pickup, Stogy, adam401 and 9 others like this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

After drooling over the '40 Tudor for years, I just discovered the antenna in the front fender.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Jim Bouchard and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. socal34

socal34

some old pictures IMG_4675.JPG IMG_4697.JPG IMG_4717.JPG

1pickup, Baron, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  12. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Bought my 54 Chevy Bel Air from Elmer Fields when he was on Sepulveda Blvd. Use to visit Andrews once in a while, but being a young dumb kid,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i just went there to look. Good memories.

13. adam401

adam401

John, Id love to see a side profile pic of your Merc if youve got one. The front looks absolutely perfect!

14. Adam, From Rik Hovings' website on customs photos, I put the car on a 56 Chevy Chassis and it's sectioned channeled too, great look.

[​IMG]

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

1pickup, Stogy, Dyno Dave and 13 others like this.
  16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That's a nice bunch of cars. The first two are especially nice, but they certainly can't be considered mild: both are channeled and partially sectioned, which (as I well know) results in a very subtle improvement at a considerable price!

kidcampbell71 and i.rant like this.
  17. Yes, we're getting stir crazy so we're going to get out and drive this thing, mask up and go riddin' all around town.
    New SB Chevy eng, turbo 350, 9 inch rearend, heights independent frontend, shaved and peaked hood, 48 Ford bumpers,, left hand "Girlfriend" Column shifter, polished finned valve covers, new 40 aluminum radiator, new Carson top, fender skirts, new brakes, new tires, full moon front hubcaps. New door panels, ready for paint and interior, runs and drives like a new car. John Williamson [email protected]
    [​IMG]

1pickup, Baron, exterminator and 9 others like this.
  18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I knew a couple of guys in high school who made this mod (moving a Ford column shift lever over to the left side of the column, freeing your right arm to attend to your girl, and shifting with your left), but I had never heard the term "Girlfriend" to describe it. I like it!

19. I think they were called Lovers shift too and there was Necker Knob for brody knobs too. I just always liked Girlfriend Shifts so I have them on my 29 Roadster and my 39/40 tub tub. For a while in the later 50's floor shifts got real popular so everyone was pulling their side shift and putting 39 transmissions in their Ford cars or La Salles in GM powered cars..

Stogy likes this.
  20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yup. Had a '37 LaSalle trans in my '57 Olds before the '58 models appeared.

Stogy, John Lee Williamson and 302GMC like this.
  21. japchris

japchris
    from England

22. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Hard to improve on.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SandfordDrags4.JPG

:rolleyes:...Threw some digital color into this real Looker from a Time Not So Long Ago...Compliments to the one with the Eye that Captured the moment we revere today...

It was a Great Day at the Sandford Drags

A Wish for A Happy Birthday to you Hamber @50Fraud...May Good Health and Hotrod/Custom be with you...for many, many more...Have a Great Day and thanks for this Awesome Thread...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thank you, Stogy. Today is my 80th; I guess there's no turning back now.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope I find that day as well 50...Every Day's a Milestone but The Big 80 is A Milestone...I hope you get out for a cruise but I understand that may not be an option right now...Stay Safe...regardless...and make the best of it...;)

That 40 I posted above, I recently seen another pic of...it has that Coachbuilt look to it...

26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Met the owner of this at Nat's East, York PA back in 1983. The owner was from the Detroit area. Started life as a two dr sedan. If you look closely, you'll notice he sectioned the body between the belt line and door tops 1 inch. Pretty slick.

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That's waaaay subtle.

Hamtown Al, Baron and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Stogy and lurker mick like this.