Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Throwback Tub

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 13, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The Throwback Tub

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Hnstray, Thor1, HEMI32 and 6 others like this.
  2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After reading this article I was taken back to about 1969 or 1970 when I lived in Las Cruces New Mexico. For what ever reason I was in the front yard and this BEAUTIFUL (sorta candy blue?) 28/29 Ford Roadster pickup drove by, full fendered, Chevy? power, sounded good, looked good. It looked like a refugee from a big car show. I don't remember a lot from those old days, but that one stuck in my memory:)

J.Ukrop likes this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Joey, ya hit the "sweet" spot once again! Back then, the cover is what sold the rest, whether it was a new mag or an album. When you had limited funds, (like I did then and still do) hard choices had to be made and this album was left on the rack. The car was not forgotten, it must have a blast to drive as well as a chick magnet! It had a lot going for and still does, it even had those quad, scavenger tipped pipes (had to have those on mine, but only two)! Keep sharing your passion, Carp.

Hnstray, Thor1 and J.Ukrop like this.
  4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

This car is sitting in my buddy Joey's back yard & has been there for as long as I can remember.
    I remember him telling me that he was storing it for Bob Cirrito , the original owner & builder & another friend of mine .
    Oh . . . and it looks exactly the same . . . .

Gasser 57, Hnstray, Thor1 and 10 others like this.

5. I always liked that car, & album. My dad still has it, along with all the other surf/drag records that us snow-bound kids had to have to get us through the winter months. Usually, I don't like T shells on model A's, but this car was built right.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice lookin' car, but from what I can see, I am not particularly enamored with the rear suspension, especially given that much power.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. redo32

redo32

I'm sure out of necessity he built the traction bar. I'm amazed at the amount of work in the front spring perch to reach the short spring.

8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bonafide 60’s wicked for sure! I love those headers.

bchctybob likes this.
  9. silverdome

silverdome

Damn fine looking ride.

10. AmishMike

AmishMike

What is that famous/infamous line on the HAMB. Didn’t happen without pictures

11. Deuces

Deuces

I ummm..... What car?o_O:confused:

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Ya gotta love a 409 powered tub. So I just had to dig out that issue and check it out, what an issue!
    From the George Barris piece with the blonde babe holding the balls in "Miller's Masterpiece" to the Tub to the coverage of the U.S. Fuel and Gas Championships (check out Marv Eldridge's Cheetah). Plus a Hydro build up and wild and crazy headers, then last but by all means not least coverage of the Oakland Roadster Show! If it's the only old magazine you ever bought, it's a goldmine of style and ideas.
    My personal favorite; the 32 5w with a blown Olds on P65. Oh yeah. Thanks Joey.

13. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I remember that car in the magazine. Polished americans are such a PITA, but there is nothing like them. The car was drop dead gorgeous, for the time. P. Wood, please take pictures of it now.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those aren't "traction bars"; Notice that the car has a transverse spring.

15. redo32

redo32

What's a transverse spring got to do with it? He's got slicks and an open drive line, he knows the stock radius rods are not strong enough to keep from bending. Mounting the bar in the middle of the housing is not optimal, it should have the bracket on top or bottom to better control the twisting action of the torque.