Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tubing Bender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Feb 4, 2019.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I hope to be ready to run brake lines on my '31 soon. I have an old, very simple bender for 3/16" brake line that I've used in the past, but want to take the precision of my brake line work up a notch. Somewhere, in the past year, I found something about a bender for 3/16" line that was capable of very tight radius bends, and was able to start them really close to the nuts at the end of lines. I've searched using various terms but haven't found a bender that looks like what I recall. I might be wrong, but it almost seems the flare nut actually threaded into part of the bender to hold it, and the bend radius started just outboard from the nut. Maybe my recollection is incorrect, but if anyone knows of such a trick tubing bender I figure it would be someone here.

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn

2. 2E27CF90-5884-419B-B1A7-BE33E1B8896C.jpeg 75ACC801-74FB-4DA6-A6EE-61FDE74B60B8.jpeg

I got the pliers from MAC tools works good
    Like you said can start a bend almost right at the fitting
    And then the standard tube bender.
    What makes either work really well is lubing the pipe with either wd40 or brake fluid so it does not bind up on the bender and you get a better bend.

You can also buy springs that go over the line and help with hand bending and forming.

nochop and alanp561 like this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks for the reply and the bender photos. Neither looks like what I think I saw, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do what I want to accomplish.

In searching I had seen the "pliers". I guess they clamp on the line and the line is then "pulled" around the curved mandrel? The two-handle bender....will it start a bend as close as maybe 1/4" from a flare nut without distorting the tube so that the nut binds?

I really need to do some close-quarters bends to clear some spring hangers, that's why all the concern about bending close to the flare nut.

Thanks.

Lynn

4. If you have a hydraulic place by you, a lot of them make custom tubing as well as hose.
    Might check with them if it’s something really tricky or one off.

5. uncle buck

uncle buck

6. 48stude

48stude

7. deucemac

deucemac

I use Imperial Eastman benders. I believe Pure Choice sells them. They usually advertise in Street Rodder. Tight accurate bends.

8. lake_harley

lake_harley

48stude.....Thanks! That is the bender I remembered seeing. At $149.95 I'll have to think about it for a bit though before I'd pull the trigger. Maybe I could offer tube bending to offset the cost.......but then I'd have to (gulp) work. :eek:

Lynn

nochop and 48stude like this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

With these pliers you can create a bend real close to the nut. They do work.

Carried by Eastwood company, copied by others.

Attached Files:

juan motime likes this.
  10. egads

egads

If you use kunifer ( cupro-nickel ) you don't need any bender and will out last the car. This stuff bends like a piece of string, great stuff to work with.[​IMG]

deathrowdave and Black_Sheep like this.
  11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

look into the "Ridgid" line of tubing benders

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes you don't want to add to your to do list. :D Takes away from your own hot rod.

nochop likes this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Remember "Kant-Kink"? Very malleable steel/nickle tubing...nice for brake lines.

egads likes this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked closely at the ECI bender when I was buying my 90 degree brake set up from them. The bender is a little pricey if you're doing a one time build but it would pay for itself very quickly if you were doing several jobs. JMHO

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yes, I'd 2nd that ECI 4 in 1 Tubing Bender as being a premier tool, that is well thought out.
    I wish I'd known about it earlier.

16. That bender right there is
    8E92CDB5-0F91-4D34-9BAA-2F4FA2B221B1.jpeg
    At that price it’s not bad if you had 2 projects to do.
    Not to mention something like that would always sell used as well.
    Shit now I want one !!

lake_harley and brad2v like this.
  17. egads

egads

See post 10:)

18. brad2v

brad2v

Ain't it just. I'm a tubing bender junkie though. That might just be my early birthday present to me.

Sent from my SM-G960W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. lake_harley

lake_harley

Get behind me, Satan! Now you're just trying to talk a self-admitted tightwad (me) into spending money! I dislike that almost as much as work.

Lynn

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. Imperial Eastman benders work pretty good for me. Nice tight up to 180 bends.

That ECI bender looks interesting; but appears to have some complexity to it. Would be fun to try one out. The guide set up looks good if your were making several of the same line.

I usually just have a sample 90 bend piece with the bends starting location marked; can usually get the tube going where desired by using it.

21. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

You might be looking for a Ridgid brand tubing bender...they make very tight radius bends with no distortion. They are bought individually for each size tubing, you may try ebay as I have found some on there. I have from 1/8 -3/4 sizes and will not use any other bender for lines...good luck Sir

lake_harley likes this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

23. Mine are the same radius as a floor jack handle for some odd reason...

bchctybob likes this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I made this one, used a $6 HF pliers and some round stock on my lathe. Inside radius is less than a nickle if careful..Pic is regular steel, copper stuff even better yet. Does take some wrist strength. PIC_1054.JPG PIC_1058.JPG

25. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Ridgid, Imperial, Parker. I've used pretty much all the handhelds for prototype work and prefer Parker (Hannifin) over the others. Prices vary widely.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All my stuff is Imperial.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  28. bchctybob

bchctybob

Mr T body does some very nice tube fabrication but looking up Parker Hannifin benders brings up quite a few models to choose from. Can you show or tell us which model you prefer for 3/16 brake lines? 3/8 fuel lines?

29. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

I borrowed a `swagelock bender' it made smooth tight repeatable bends.

30. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I've used Imperial Eastman benders for the 100's of feet of brake lines over the past 50 plus years and they are great. But had I seen the ECI tool I would have bought it in an instant.

Pat