Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where did they go and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 9, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Yes and I know why

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No

58 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe, that really sucks...nature is a bitch but glad you spoke up!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Content, yes, yes, yes....all of this is opinion and we all have ours and part in part, that is what @loudbang asked for in the "why" part of the question
    I found HAMB initially on an internet query when I wanted to know why.
    The internet has turned in to something that can't be trusted for the most part, but this isn't one of those places
    I wanted information and this site is informative
    .....not made up stuff and things talk show radio and reality programs are made of
    There is tribal knowledge here and if people want to know there are people that know and show and have done so historically
    Yes, dreaming up new stuff makes the world go around too but you think that the focus is narrow, could you imagine shifting thru all the BS to find the real meat? Content...yes, quality that separates this place from all others
    I don't have any photos to post but I think you get the picture
    I know why I stay
    thank you @Ryan

3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I look at the same as a family, some members you like some you could do without, you more or less maintain a polite fiction to keep the peace because there is some value in the whole thing , while I don’t agree with the rules because the majority of the stuff that I do and am interested in doses not fit this forum I will conform even though that is not in my nature just to have access to the knowledge that is freely available, do a few google searches and see how many times the HAMB comes up, nough said.

4. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I haven't been here for a while and this thread has many reasons why. Wen I first came here I was in the same sand box with some very talented people, Steve was one I enjoyed and read when ever he had something to say. Kiwi kev as well, the progression of the hamb to where it is has a different flavor than it had when I first came around.
    I liked the old hamb,there I said it.
    I have seen events that now are nut hugger sessions for the promotors to profit from and drive prices on stuff to make it unobtainable to most working class people.
    Look at e bay,put TROG next to something and ask 3x its value,strip down a model a of its fenders and running gear and you have a traditional racer, asking more than it was worth as a whole car.
    Don't get me wrong,there are some talented builds that make it on the beach,but some junk,really? All in the name of "tradition".
    I respect talented people with talented hands and talented innovative ideas. Not a bunch of nut huggers.
    Sorry if I offended anyone with my rant,but the thread asked why.
    I now poke in to see if I can help anyone in a field I am in, some are responsive some are not.
    One thing I can say,there are some good honest people on this board and it's nice to see,I have given, sold stuff without payments on their word and NEVER have been burned.
    Going backwards is never a good thing for anyone, maybe a turn towards the direction where you came from and heading foward is. It seems we made a left somewhere.

5. I have to disagree slightly. I do understand the need for IG/FB to promote businesses or getting a job in the field, but I have Google images if I want just pics. Don't get me wrong, incorrect information is bad and needs to be set straight, but I like average guy build threads. I think this place has to stay the same narrow focus, because it's showing a slice if history (and trying to add to it), that other places mainly gloss over. If this place changed to fit what others wanted then it would be just another hot rod forum. If you want a broader view then you need to be on several forums, each with it's own focus on different eras......I would rather see a detailed documentary vs a watered down movie. This place has to be laser focused so people like me can learn as much history about a revolution in an era they were not born into (but wish we were). It has to be traditional because so many other places are not.

Early on this place was the revolution, because almost everyone else was into street rods, except a small group of people that gathered here. They talked of history, they built fast and loose (and talked a lot of shit too), but the fire was STRONG. Now that "traditional" is still floating near mainstream the fire has cooled, people have gotten older....but there's still a small group that burn with the desire the original group had.......it's just an ebb and flow.

I know I'm not the most traditional guy (sometimes pretty far off), but I love this place for it's narrow scope. It's like a place that ONLY sells banana pudding.......but it's the best banana pudding you'll ever have.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  6. squirrel

squirrel

And the thing that really stumps me, is how this place is so great, compared to any other car internet places. There's nothing like it for newer cars, muscle cars, street rods, race cars, etc that I know of.

Old wolf, alanp561, The37Kid and 11 others like this.
  7. Very true, the other sites I'm on (not that much anymore) are make specific sites to get some stocker information. When you ask a question it seems to take weeks to get an answer and if it does come semi quickly it's usually a HAMBer.

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jim this is an odd place. But I'm odd and I'm always drawn in here because of the diversity. One minute it's ..........I have a Whippet sedan then the next minute it's something else. I'm a gearhead just like you. Look at yourself. One minute your running drag week. The next your working on a Hudson!! I grew up around everything from model T's to stationary gas engines to Edsels. A gearhead is a gearhead.:D

9. I joined in 2009. The HAMB feeds my love of hot rods, has given me a library of info and an unending group of people of like minds to follow and converse with. The only part of the old HAMB I miss is being able to categorize subscribed threads in files.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You spread your focus too wide you lose it !

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I understand your point, but just to clarify my own, I'm not saying the scope of the HAMB should be opened up to non-traditional builds. But to keep the focus so narrowly tailored as it is now is exclusive. If the mods and members are good with that, then fine. But don't be upset when there is less content and participation.

The part that somewhat chaps my ass is the hypocrisy of how these rules are sometimes applied. If someone started a thread on how to wire in a standalone computer for a 4L80 that they were putting in their gasser or custom, the pitchforks would come out. But every one of the Hilton/Ross built "Angry As" (who are built by good friends of mine, mind you) runs a Tremec TKO600 and those cars are lauded here, especially for how much they drive them. No kidding! They have new, modern transmissions! Wouldn't that kind of information be helpful to the rest of us? Same goes for all of these brand new deuce chassis with bent tubular crossmembers, or even a bunch of these home-made rectangular tube rod chassis. They're fine, but if you discuss putting a 4 link or air ride in your custom, that's not OK, despite virtually all of the heavy-hitting customs built in the last two decades having it. It's like we can acknowledge it's existence, but we can't talk about it, like it's some dirty secret. The joke of it is that the current HAMB would exclude builds for cars that would probably fool them.

For example...
    89209557_10218696631780109_6011912066355429376_n.jpg
    Both are sitting on new chassis with fancy tubular crossmembers, both are electronically fuel injected, and both have modern transmissions. But they're accepted as traditional enough, and frankly, they should be. But whether that flies on the HAMB as a whole is another story. I mean, even Wayne Carini's Ardun got roasted on here. I never thought I'd see the day when an Ardun got shit-talked.

And as previously mentioned, none of this speaks to the disparate treatment guys who are into primarily custom cars get around here. Mostly from people who can't think beyond an A on Deuce rails and the biggest creative decision they'll have to make in their build is whether to drill their axle or not.

12. Ahh, the HAMB has not changed a bit in 20 years I see. Folks still like to bitch and can't understand it.

13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Hate how logical discussions can be terminated by a timeline. Based on that think this place does indeed have a fixed life span, no one to take the place of those who continue to enjoy this past time. A few guys here who seem to be HAMB Gods are on my ignore list, they just rub me the wrong way so ignoring seems to be the answer. I look at about 10 threads that is it anymore.

14. TimCT

TimCT

A few years back I bought my OT daily, which is a diesel truck. So, I decided to avail myself of the brain trust for late model diesels on a couple different boards.

It's pretty thin, to say the least.

For a community of people that seem to pride themselves on being able to 'fix stuff' in the most general of terms, the most common response to any specific tech question is to remove the emissions equipment.

If you post a thread about having a hard time tuning your 4150 around here, there will be plenty of people who know how to set up a Holley. Sure, a handful of people will tell you to replace it with a new AFB, but you'll get step by step instructions on how to do what you want to do. With pictures.

So, yeah. Content. This place has people that will go home and go into their personal parts book stash to look for part numbers, people that will go into their backyard hoard to check a casting number, people that will give you specs on something buried under their bench, people that will measure something on their own car - and then post it, to help someone else. Now that info is out in the world, and the guy who had an issue in 2002 and asked on the board, and was answered, has just helped someone in 2020 who consulted this library and got what they needed to move forward with their own project, which is pretty freakin awesome.

15. There is two separate sections for traditional Hot Rods & traditional Customs, they are both exclusive to their era, being constructed as period cars .

The hokey ass message board section is not as strict which is a saving grace for many of the members, my old beater was built before I joined the hamb and is not period correct, the same holds true for the Ranch Wagon, it's not a traditional hot rod or custom but there is a place for these type of cars on the hamb.

When Ryan did the last upgrade this gave guys like me a place to participate, I honestly believe a large percentage of our members use this section because of the more lenient moderation.

As the rules have always stated if you think it might be off topic don't post, of there is something on the car that you know won't fly don't post a photo of it.

I know I am not the only one that wishes I could turn back the hands of time and own a period perfect hot rod or custom from the good old days but I am content to live vicariously through other member that are recreating these time machines.

If Ryan decided tomorrow to add a new section to include rat rods and we had a influx of guys that constantly posted about them I wouldn't pack up all my toys and leave, I do know how to use the ignore button, I can assure you I wouldn't abandon my favorite website. HRP

16. p1yotaboy

p1yotaboy

Couldn’t have said it better. I’m a newer member (I think 4 years) but even before that I would view the jalopy journal in internet searches of certain things. I love the tradition in this forum. I’ve been into ot cars most of my adult life but have narrowed my focus to just this and sold off some trucks and parts so that their not fogging my focus. I haven’t found anything close to this forum. I have ot interest but I enjoy being able to come here and get a different view on things and a few times have changed my opinion. The history aspect is still a major draw for me to this forum. I want to know how it was done then. I know how it’s done now. Then it’s up to me, you, or whoever to decide knowing both sides which way would be best for your build. If it’s something that is ot on a mostly traditional build just leave that area out of the “build thread” on here at least and continue on. I’ve tried to sway a few of my piers to this forum but most just think it’s boring. I think that it’s sad they want to look the part bc it’s cool but don’t know the history and don’t care about the history. I think that this is a big problem with “my” generation and honestly I’m ashamed to be classified as a millennial and have that label. For the same reason why I only have a few friends my age group the rest are older. I hate to see the older generations leaving us. It scares me some to what the future holds for not only this hobby and other things too

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

If you are going to ask the tough questions it pays to be prepared

Attached Files:

18. I like the way the HAMB is focused. But, the 1965 cut off eliminates the most interesting years of drag racing. I know where to go to see and talk about that stuff, but it ain't here.

19. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Life isn't 100%. I come here for content KNOWING I won't like 100% of what's here (a majority, but not all). I post what I can from MY builds knowing it isn't 100% HAMB friendly (but maybe somebody can get something out of it). I take away what I like and don't stress about the rest..... you don't live to make me 100% happy and I won't make you 100% happy. It's just life...... come to terms with it 'cuz you won't have to deal with it anymore soon enough.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  20. 117harv

117harv

Love this place and it's mission, I have tried to add/help when and where I can. Been super busy with OT work, losing my mom and other things in life that just take up so much time. Will be back soon, after I get some loose ends tied up with a frame up build for a long time friend since jr high school....thank you Ryan for this place. :)

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw on another thread that @Plowboy was dead so that explains his absence. :cool: Of course the Beatles claimed John was dead once too. That was fake news. I just don't know what to believe anymore.

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was Paul, not John

seadog, chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  23. joined in 2006(had to look at my profile to see when that was).....It appears that I am older now....(hadn't noticed and probably should pay more attention).....My profile back then was brief and to the point,which is still the case. ride of the time has long since passed and connection to the hot rod deal has evolved into less about finishing vehicles and more about creating new paths into how to do stuff related to end game construction of those vehicles. Thing is.....In those early days you always get answers here.....not always what you wanted , or thought you wanted, to hear. A lot of times it was rough justice,.... tough to take....but generally you got what you needed and I miss that.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. You know if you just mouse over anyones Avatar it shows when they joined the board? It works unless you were here before March 2, 2001. That was one of the updates after the Pokemon Board and all of us back then ended up with the same date.

loudbang likes this.
  25. My favorite time also and not only for drag racing. Stock cars, trans-am, Indy and the salt all had it going in the 60s-70s. It is what it is though and as you said there are other places to cover what might be missed here.

chryslerfan55 and stillrunners like this.
  26. That’s a huge on going conspiracy ain’t it ?

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Some folks ,you CANNOT MAKE HAPPY. My life is not so complete that i have time or want to gripe about some body' car is or is not Hamb specific, or other trivial chit. I deal with a lot of these kind of folks at work every day. I'm not on here as much because i am now getting up to go to work at the same time i was going to bed 3 month's ago. I don't have as much time to post. I look at want adds to add to my stash of stuff i may never use. Folks change, times change, interest change. Since the Magazine debacle, this is pretty much my only source for cool old hot rods!!!Good information, And several friends i have met because of the Hamb. Whew didn't mean to type that much

28. bubba55

bubba55

Well as I've tried to make my life simpler cut the cord and only have a cell phone with limited data has been my reason / Still love this place

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I left, who would say...

"Wow!"
    "Cool car!"