Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '39 Coupe - Updates with the future generation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCTA Chris, Jan 30, 2018.

1. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

I became one of those guys I never understood, I let my coupe sit neglected in the barn, blown engine, mice nest and under cover. The ‘39 that was my High School identity, put me on the path to my wife and a career. It’s haunted me until now, like part of my sole is missing. My 10 year old got hooked on the last two HAMB Drags and that was enough to inspire me again, possibly the same way my father (a very non-car kind of guy) helped me get my coupe on the road when I was a teenager.

IMG_1081.jpg IMG_0794.jpg
    Occasionally I’ve posted for advice for the late 50’s early sixties redo, collected a few parts too: First, I’m not touching the paint, friends and I shot it in a barn, there is a lot of years left on the lacquer… road rash rub through have acceptance. This was a typical late 80’s 350/350 build. Pete & Jake’s had just started moving to Ruskin Auto in KC when dad and I went to visit. My frame sat in the back while new fat fendered parts line was getting transitioned, a plus which gave me time to save a little more! I’ll keep some things and cut others.

My son (Chase) is a great helper and I'm making a point to include him in the work. Lets get up to speed. Body off and a kid with air tools sure has fun, lots of old oil spray and years of open header driving to deal with. IMG_0598.jpg IMG_4461.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Ditched the 350 trans, I had a B&M Hydro and loved it... a friend sold me his Hydro-Motive Hydro-Shift as long as it went in this coupe. It used the truck bell-housing and located a 18 hole torus. This is a big and heavy trans. We cut the front X-Member section. I had a shop bend heavier gauge sheet to match the channel and top radius. I ditched the P&S's motor mounts to go front mount. I will make mid-mounts and possibly tail mount. Leaving room to do an easy drop out if needed, I had to wait on shifter too. Rocco and Cheaters had a Spark-O-Matic NOS. when that arrived last week I knew how much to leave for shift clearance, and var. pressure rod.
    IMG_0618.jpg IMG_0619.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Oh yea. Can’t beat it.
    Be sure your son is doing a lot of the work. It’ll be memories of a lifetime.
    Good for both of you.

5. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

The pedal pivot was right where the shifter rod exits the sidepan. This created an issue so Ive tacked up the brake pivot and M/C location. I'm still at 7:1 ratio and have about 1.5" of rod travel. IMG_1078.jpg IMG_1079.jpg

Todd553 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome ive been waiting for some real coverage of this rebirth :)

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wondered where that car went. I saw it at one of the way back HAMB Drags, but not the last few years.

I would have had a hard time taking that car apart, it was pretty bitchn as is. You are keeping the blower, right?????

-Abone.

KCTA Chris and cactus1 like this.
  8. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Thanks! I drove that car hard for a lot of years and needed to correct a few things. Once the mice digested the wiring harness it was time to pull it apart. It shouldn't look much different but perhaps more era correct in some ways. Blower was a hard decision but decided to set it aside, It might work its way back in the future. I've been building a 301/302 to drop in.

alanp561 likes this.
  9. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

I wonder if mice made my tranny x member break ,,? Nope. It was abuse , but damn fun. Save that car forever.

Tman, KCTA Chris and cactus1 like this.
  10. Excellent! I love this! Chase was so Jazzed at the Drags last year. Can't wait to see him make a pass or three!

kidcampbell71 and KCTA Chris like this.
  11. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

It's been a three weeks... sickness and a promise not to touch the project until the boys can help have slowed us down. In that time we did the finish welding and dressing of the crossmember, fabed a new brake M/C set up and took the boys and friends to the World of Wheels show for their inspiration. Yesterday was good progress. Odd how you'll see post about making side motor mounts and fuel pump notching... here I am removing it all. I bought a used front Xmeber to swap out but realized it was pitted a little more than I wanted so after careful cutting I was able to just replace the section. I did the heavy welding and let the 10 year old spot weld the small nicks for final finish. I'm dressing welds but leaving enough to show, this chassis has marks the men before me and I'm leaving my bit of history but following good craftsmanship rule. With the Ansen mount the mount the motor will be set back 3/8" than the Pete & Jake's stuff. Boys also discovered the Speedway rubber mounts are not exactly like the old ford rubber and why I keep a stash of parts to work from. We started on a trans mount but that will have to wait till next time.

Attached Files:

12. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Guys, Its been way to long since I posted. Projects came up, aways about the boys, A swap meet turned up a little T bucket body, Suddenly my chassis became the build table for their project... not bad but time gets away. Then a COE entered my life and a list of other things. But the boys really got their hands dirty and learned some more skills.
    I guess it was a good delay. IMG_5605.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That is a cool sidebar build, gives the boys something they can drive and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

KCTA Chris likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

15. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

So lets get caught up... I waited for powder coating and frustrated decided to spray the chassis myself.
    Once that happened it was a fast chassis assembly. Then another delay, the engine. I told my builder to put it on the back burner since he was using one of his well experienced but semi retired employees. It took a LOT longer, then he didn't make it anymore for health reasons. So taking my time I spent the fall assembling the engine with a lot of help from my neighbor and friend, the boys would come over and watch. My little 311 is running!

Specs: '63 327 283 crank .060 bore 461 heads
    Pony'd up for the nice 302 forged pistons and rods. I did make a few changes from my vintage stash of parts. I swapped my original Duntov 30 cam for the Comp Nostalgia version in a hyd. lifter. Made sure it was all balanced to the torus coupling.
    For my Creitz intake I left the early high top AFB's on the parts shelf and opted for some Edebrock/Weber/Carter versions I had. Both were low miles and very clean. I pulled them down with a different restrictor kit I had seen on ebay. It uses rings and covers instead of a plate with matching primary and secondary's for duel carb set up. and of course new jets and metering rods.
    The generator bracket was next issue: I had to fab something to hang it a little high without being the center of attention, too low and it would hit the fender and look like it was factory or early aftermarket.

Last issue: the rare starter I located help with from you guys. That Hydro-Motive trans uses the one off oddball GMC truck starter only used on a few automatic equipped trucks.
    Luckily one of our members had one stashed, I sent it off to be rebuilt and then applied my detailing and it matches perfect!

59365824507__6FE32E38-A2CB-4B4C-816A-6D39CF37AB3D.jpeg IMG_7022.jpeg IMG_7028.jpeg IMG_7704.jpeg IMG_7768.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  16. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Now lets talk about the Hydro.
    I bought the books, made the calls, located the tools... I hesitated to order a rebuild kit until I knew exactly what had been done inside mine incase I had different clutches. It was clean as anything inside and the story was it had only made a few passes from new when the guys motor gave it up. Turned out that might have some truth to it. I located a retired transmission man who was very familiar building and racing these about two hours away. We inspected as much as we could and found soft seals, thick drum linings and great internal condition. The choice was made to adjust the bands and see if it runs. He had a NOS band adjusting bolt to replace the missing quick release bolt that was added at Hydro-Motive. We adjusted everything and matched a different modified torus to bring the stall down from 3600 to 2600 for street driving, I like that idea. the books and kits Dave Edwards - AKA AutoTran offers are well worth it if you are looking for more info.

Only issue was a missing dowel pin in my crank, no local auto parts stores had one and wasn't sure if a little pin could mess up my balance, without it all the trans fluid will hit run out. So I made one that was very shallow, a tiny plug really. I tapped it in and spot welded it so not to work loose in the converter/torus. then everything got liberal coatings of Pliobond 30 per the instructions.

Another find, a Spark-O-Matic Hydro shifter came out of the original box. Bolted in place with no trimming - yet.

Next step was the throttle pressure linkage, think of it as a heavy duty kick down linkage but controls the pressure inside in relation to shifting. It has to be spot on and there are a couple ways to build it and of course I didn't have body clearance for either. I made my own and struggled with the travel being different lengths on the carb and trans. Success came with an additional bell crank and a few sheet metal bracket mock ups.

Second firing... no leaks and it spins the yoke in all gears. IMG_8295.jpeg IMG_8402.jpeg IMG_8454.jpeg IMG_8455.jpeg IMG_8457.jpeg

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a wuss if you don't drive it to the HAMB Drags this year.

That little motor sounds nice....

-Abone.

Tman, kidcampbell71, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  18. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

With the cam break in time and no transmission leaks I spent the last 10 days under the body. My car never had rust out.. but some cutting had happened and my teen age neglect didn't help. I used a scaling tool to remove old paint and undercoating. Patched a few old areas and other issues then etch primed the underside. I decided to try the Raptor truck bed liner and liked it, but also read about the dare I say... Flex Seal liquid. I gotta admit, I like the look of the flex seal, its a thick coating and glossy easy to apply and Im keeping it away from exhaust heat. Hope it lasts.

So to the biggest news from a week ago. I got the body back on the frame. Somehow everything (less shifter) clears! 89083557_10220950843391548_4109515835133919232_o.jpg IMG_8541.jpeg IMG_8610.jpeg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e2f.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2e38.jpg

19. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Thanks Sir. Goal.
    My boys have already been fighting who gets to ride down.

cactus1 likes this.
  20. raven

raven

It’s about time!
    I’m glad to see the best 39 around finally coming together.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Huge

Huge
    from Mackay

Great to see.
    I resemble your initial remark...

22. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Body bolts all tightened. I cheated... the floorboard holes are enlarged and I had no desire fighting spinning carriage bolts again, a little sealer and they tightened easy.

When I can time travel I'm going back to kick my teenage self for butchering a nice transmission cover. Luckily I had another.
    I'm shocked that big Hydro doesn't take up more height, even ditching the Pete and Jakes motor mounts for a Ansen mount with 1" risers leaves enough room for insulation under the cover. I'm going to need to build the pan back further as one piece for a nice shifter boot base.

I had ran a Lokar leather boot in the past but doesn't fit the era anymore. The NOS shifter has this nice boot I that looks right and is still pliable like new. Only issue is its very thin, I might need to use the cap and go for a new round rubber Mr. Gasket boot.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg

23. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Almost forgot the most important part... my boys took turns helping this old man. One took the task of spot welding, the other chased wrenches. Good stuff.

hfh, kidcampbell71, Chucky and 4 others like this.
  24. Looks and sounds great man!

25. 2935ford

2935ford

There's some fun goin on there! :)

26. raven

raven

And I bet they were wearing a smile and having fun.
    Good times, indeed.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Very cool re-build. I've got a little question, what are you doing for petrol pump and filter? I can see something on the rail at the back, I think a filter, but cant see a pump. I m at this stage on mine, looking for inspiration. Thanks

28. For years I wondered what ever happened to you and the 39. Hadn't seen it since the HAMB Speed and Power Meet. Brad is lookin totally dreamy with his shades and leather, kcblackmerc.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  29. I can just make out the 39 in the background between these two hoodlums. kc6lunchryanravin61.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  30. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Thanks Rocky! Man Brad's Merc was so cool and DRIVEN! One of those two shady hoodlums stole my hood back then, not sure If it will go back on. My old coupe got a little more worn and then I was obsessed with your truck that started me down a path on an "A" truck and as you know, other cars come and go and one sits neglected. Might need to Speed and Power again this fall to celebrate being back on the road.

raven, cactus1 and kidcampbell71 like this.