Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where did they go and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 9, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Yes and I know why

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No

58 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. Thank you for creating this forum. I have learned so much from posts of those great people who have sadly passed on. There words are still there for us to learn.

I think you have created something that matters more to future generations than you will ever know.

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I lke this website. Where else can you get free beer?

Tman, loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hotrod33^^^ none of it “matters” but it shows some common courtesy and respect to the site community and the mods. For instance you can storm into a mini-mart, grab what you want, slam the money on the counter and walk out but that’s just rude. As opposed to taking the time to interact with the person who is providing what you obviously need.
    Before I posted I wrote an introduction and filled out the other info to introduce myself. No big deal, I just consider it to be the friendly thing to do on someone else’s internet site.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m guilty of posting a new project and letting it die. My goofy looking shoebox ranchero caught the interest of someone much more capable of doing right by it so I passed it on. I have three projects all moving forward slowly and at 69 years old I didn’t see myself getting to it anytime soon. That’s also the biggest reason I haven’t posted as much, there’s always something to be done on the cars and time goes by so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Same here, same age too. Bob

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just got billed 99 bucks and change so my photobucket photos will work. Yep they do hold you hostage on that.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. ....................Wow, Never knew I was a hipster.:D;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Max Gearhead, i.rant, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Content. Hot Rods and Customs.

Why am I here, why do I moderate ?

Money for nothin' and chicks are free......

9. v8flat44

v8flat44

Just saw this thread, so forgive me if Blackrat 40 has already been mentioned. He seemed to be doing well fighting cancer & then.....he has not been seen for a long time. I miss his posts.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe it's like this. Im working on an O/T Speed33. I don't hate it but I'd never have built it for myself. In the next room is my forlorn 39 Std Tudor. If I had a 10 spot for every time I simply smiled at it, internally and externally, I could nearly pay someone to do it for me. 2 extremes. I won't post pics of the other as it would disrespect the rules, so maybe picture a modern injected IFS/IRS 18" wheeled street rod vs the pics I've posted of my junque. Best analogy I can come up with for IG/FB vs HAMB life. I simply prefer the latter in both instances.

11. The last time I talked to George was after he was banned from the hamb and he was a member of Tom's Hot Rod Craft , he has since deleted his account there deleted his account there.

He said something along the lines about making a smaller footprint and cutting back on social media, He was one to speak his mind and fight with the moderators, that kept him in hot water. HRP

12. The only time location maters is when the individual is trying to use the classifieds. HRP

chryslerfan55, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  13. HotRod33

HotRod33

The hamb is a great place...I agree that the contents are important...
    I thank you for the hamb Ryan....

The are all sorts of people on here ... Different abilities... There are some tremendously talented builders.... There are some very knowledgeable people here that many learn from.... There are some very good writers that post some fantastic threads... There are some great photographers that put up great photos....

But there are also a lot of people that come here to try and learn... Some ask questions that some people may think are stupid ... Many guys don't post a lot... Some people argue back and forth.....
    I'm not always able to get on the hamb depending on what is going on in life... I'm sure others are like that...

it's the differences in everyone that help make the hamb great too ... Bill

14. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

This thread made me think of him too. He had such a good attitude about his battle. I hope he is doing well.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Belle53

Belle53

i agree that content is everything

at one time the HAMB was THE place for content....great builds by top builders , the latest info on the hot rod industry and the people involved, excellent tech posts

when was the last Tech Week? and why haven't top builders like Cole posted anything lately?

what is here now are endless threads with questions like "how do I wash my barn find?" and "what's your favorite car?" and "what color should I paint my wheels?" I've been waiting for "if you were a tree what kind of tree would you be? " you have to be older to get that one

there are some great people with real knowledge on here , but there are many more that i'm convinced just reply to a thread to build their post count....if they know the answer or not. and many do not...why put up with them?

16. Interesting fact..build threads do not get any where near the responses any of those drama/opinion threads do.
    My thinking is everyone has an opinion, so all can participate, but not everyone has knowledge/experience to contribute to a build thread (may be some people don't want to come off as unknowledgeable).
    Drama is to be avoided on this site, yet, it seems to help sustain it.

17. You seem to be a disgruntled member according to your status - "only checking in when I have something of real value to add , not just post stupid stuff with no real knowledge like some on here"

Another member that seem to be focused on post count and what others post,you can ignore them you know, as Ryan said, "It doesn't mean anything" other than some of us ( me included) talk a lot.

Why not join in and post your build or offer something relevant, If it was not for the guys that are here everyday and trying to keep the conversation going this site would sure be a hack of a lot slower, here the crickets? o_O

Every member is important and regardless of what the post there are others who appreciate it.

Your words not mine, "Why do we put up with it?", what do you suggest we do, ban the members you find fault with? HRP

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

Mr. Scheib is doing fine, hangs out mostly on FB.

Rich

loudbang, raven and 61cad like this.
  19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll be honest, I don't post much on the HAMB because there is a lot of petty bitching and irrelevant people who are full of their own opinions. It isn't that people aren't building cars. Every day my FB feed is blown up with progress pictures of friends building hot rods, both for their own personal enjoyment and in the course of their employment at various hot rod shops, both small and world-renowned. But it's not here. On one hand, for those who are doing this professionally, the exposure that FB and IG afford not only documents their work but serves as an advertisement. But either way, it's not here because if god-forbid someone builds something that steps out of the narrow scope of the HAMB, the poster is getting roasted and just says "fuck it".

IMHO, the purpose of many of threads on the HAMB, or really anywhere for that matter, is to gather information. For example, sometimes a thread on an engine swap may contain excellent information or photographic breakdown on a suspension or steering part. I think in a way, the HAMB does itself a significant disservice by so narrowly construing what belongs and what doesn't that it chases away a lot of important and valuable contribution that while slightly off-topic, could be well utilized for on-topic application, or the majority of the information could be. I'm in the middle of a complete mechanical rebuild of my 61 Olds Super 88, including a custom air suspension install, and a dual quad SBC/700R4 install. But I'm not going to waste my time posting build pictures, tutorials, or a build thread because all I'm going to get is losers bitching about taking the 394 out in place of a SBC and how air suspension isn't traditional. That all despite the fact that the car a whole looks completely traditional. Why would I waste my time? I post the stuff on FB for my friends to weigh in on. Which is a shame, because when I go on other message boards like ClassicOldsmobile, a lot of the information could easy cross reference to HAMB appropriate builds, but the poster would get chased off the board.

Seemingly this wasn't always the case. I distinctly remember an outstanding thread that was either started by Scotch (another dude that hasn't been seen on here in forever) or heavily contributed to by him, about new internal piston coatings that helped alleviate detonation. The result for him was big power on pump gas. It was an excellent, tech-heavy, informative thread. Nowadays, if that same thread was started, some peasant would pipe up, "CeRaMiC cOaTiNgs ArEn'T tRaDiTiOnAl. DeToNaTiOn Is TrAdItIoNaL", and that would be the end of that thread. It didn't matter that the engine that was the test mule was an aluminum head 383 SBC, with like a brand new RPM air gap intake, because the information could be extrapolated into other areas. Now we get threads about how we're all sick of homogenized hot rods, then new threads bitching about hot rods that aren't homogenized. And we wonder why people leave.

20. This thread has certainly stirred the pot! :D HRP

kisspng-lucifer-deal-with-the-devil-satan-bads-5b2cd1fdd45ed7.9917021115296639978699.jpg

chryslerfan55, loudbang and prpmmp like this.
  21. prpmmp

prpmmp

I Ain't sayin nothing cause I always say the wrong thing!! HRP you just added to your post count :eek:! DANG I did it again:)! Pete

22. HotRod33

HotRod33

This thread brings up a lot of valid points.... The hamb has changed for various reasons and like it or not they aren't all good

23. I will give a couple examples since I have been here since the 90s. Personally, I have spent the last few years playing at bonneville and adding onto my house/shop. I still have my 51 GMC, an A Tudor a T roadster a 28 Pickup and my Lakester project in my avatar. But, the house deal has drug on taking away my attention from the hot rods. Throw an athletic kid in the mix as well as a divorce and thats a pretty full plate. But, I am back. Some of you may have ran into me and my girlfriend, now fiancee at last years BTT50s. As soon as I get some house stuff/financials sorted out shortly I will be back to getting the GMC on the road and either bolting the T roadster together for her or the Tudor for both of us.

As for other folks I know that don't post here much anymore? Well, the format change pushed a lot of them aside. Having the topics split up bugged many folks even after I explained to them that you could still read the composite board as usual if you clicked on "The Hokey Ass Message board" instead of say "traditional customs". I see lots of the folks mentioned are still active and posting on Facebook. Steve is still around, he has just had a lot of changes as well. The botched sex change operation did not help. ;)

24. silent rick

silent rick

i told him not to trust the doctors in tijuana. you get what you pay for.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like I (sort of) alluded to earlier, Facebook and Instagram don't even have a firewall tag so what do they have to offer, to me, NADA.

Tman likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And when selling beachfront property!
    Sent from the beautiful Oregon Coast.
    20200311_081041.jpg

27. I'm here because I like what the HAMB has to offer and sometimes I offer info to those that need it. Great place to hang out at. BigO

28. This is spot on, but of course your labeled as being disgruntled right away, lot of people with their head in the sand around here and also can't see the forest for the trees, that kinda stuff is killing the place but people so believe their idea of what is correct here is the only way to believe.
    Just can't seem to grasp the concept that if your car is heading for the ditch you need to turn the damn wheel, but I'll be damned there's nothing wrong with my driving !

29. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I'm pretty sure there was a time on here you could ask a question about quadratic equations or Iguana tacos and gotten five or six meaningful answers, my point is, the knowledge that is here is largely untapped. A question about one thing sometimes sparks an answer about something else.