Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Driving the Kookie Kar back to 1958

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 12, 2018.

1. mario

mario
    from millbrae

He died on elvis's birthday...r.i.p. kookie
    Ciao,
    Mario

2. frank spittle

frank spittle

I haven't talked with Roy since Pebble Beach but at the time he was hoping to reunite Edd with the car at GNRS this month. I am truly sorry it didn't happen at Pebble Beach and won't happen now. My regret is he didn't get to relive those days from 60 years ago when he was the coolest guy on TV and be in the spotlight again. My condolences to his son Logan. R.I.P. Mr. Kool.

3. RIP, Kookie. You were the koolest!! Condolences to his family.

4. Last night, the Kookie Kar (deservingly) won the @Deuce Bruce Meyer Hot Rod Preservation Award at the 2020 Grand National Roadster Show:

Kookie Kar @ 2020 GNRS (by Robert Jensen).jpg
    image by Robert Jensen

GNRS 2020 Bruce Meyer Hot Rod Preservation Award.jpg
    GNRS 2020 Bruce Meyer Hot Rod Preservation Award - Plaque.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Looks awesome,if it were my rod,I'd just have that nice top off to the side,being I like the look better my self with out the top on. Even though it's a cool top

6. Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Stogy, Bowtie Coupe, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  7. verde742

verde742

my gooness LOOK AT THAT LOWER radiator and hose.. unbelievable!!!

8. catdad49

catdad49

A few icons of the hobby, great article. Thanks, Brian (and HEMI32)!

9. I know, I noticed that on my 2nd viewing at Autorama in Detroit, hilarious that lower rad connection hangs way down !!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Stogy and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  10. kookie-car-rs.jpg
    The “Kookie Kar”

This car, built by 22-year-old Norm Grabowski of Sunland, California, appeared on the hot-rod scene in 1955. It was based on a cut-down ‘22 Ford Model T roadster body, which was mounted on an altered ‘31 Ford Model A frame, and was powered by a highly modified Cadillac V-8. Well-conceived and executed, the black-lacquered car appeared on the cover of the October 1955 issue of Hot Rod. In 1957, Norm showed the car at the Oakland Roadster Show. In the interim, he had considerably reworked the proportions and performed major changes to the car’s chassis and suspension. The color was now Royal Blue with pinstriping by Dean Jeffries. It was a huge hit again, and was the cover car on the April 1957 issue of Car Craft. Its fame grew after an article in Life magazine, which was followed by repeat appearances on the popular TV show, “77 Sunset Strip.” Driving the car in the series was “Kookie” Kookson, played by actor and teen-age heart throb, Edd Byrnes. The car was sold in 1959 and went through subsequent modifications over the years. It was acquired by 3 Dog Garage in 2018, restored by Roy Brizio of California to its 1957 specification, and won First in Class at the 2019 Pebble Beach Concours.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

As an historical point the body is the front half of a Touring car, not a Roadster. Car looked great at Pebble Beach, always nice to see a famous car in person. :) Bob

12. Thanks for all who posted updates. I grew up with photos of the car in my dads photo album (the ones Rik used in the Jack Stewart book) so it means a lot to see the car back to its prime.

RICH B and dana barlow like this.
  13. The “Kookie Kar” was part of the Historic Hot Rods class at the 2023 Greenwich (Connecticut) Concours:

Kookie Kar at Hagerty’s 2023 Greenwich (Connecticut) Concours - Historic Hot Rod class.jpg
    image by @Jive-Bomber Jay Ward

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thanks,always enjoy seeing Kookie Kar.:D:cool:
    Out of all the rods I looked at as a teen in the 1950s. In mags. an on TV n movies ,that I liked parts of ,too build my hotrod. Kookie Kar had the most combo. By 1959 my own Bobtailed 28A roadster was running to drive to highschool. I kept it.
    I loved what an how I had done it as a teen,so still looks same. Some influences show!;) srufsideshowA.jpg ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023