Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Graffiti - A Different Perspective

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread. At 68 I have come to the realization over the last couple years that I am not going to be able to build all the cars on my bucket list. But I'm far from done yet and still have the "condensed bucket list" of cars I hope to do, God willing. Think positive and make the most of every day, because every day we're here and healthy, these are the "good old days".

redoxide likes this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

That definitely is a Milner clone car, it did you notice the '57 Chevy morphs into a 4 door from starting out as a sports sedan ?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wvenfield likes this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The Original Mel's in Pomona

Attached Files:

4. That's actually a fairly nice clone of Milner's car. They have changed out a few things to make it look different. Thanks for posting this link!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wvenfield likes this.
  5. raymay

raymay

I was 21 in 73 when the movie came out and starting to build a career, and Family so my carefree days were slowly changing. The best part is our Family all became car lovers. The builds were Family focused and many trips were planned around local and national car events. The next best part is the relationship with Friends in our car club and others I have met over the years who share the same interests. Yesterday we had a rare winter break in our weather so driving one of my cars was a welcome bonus. After running some late afternoon errands, I decided to grab dinner at a local spot were we hold one of our summer season cruise nights. Two friends were also there and eventually several others showed up. Over the next 3 hours we had a great time visiting and catching up on our lives while enjoying the 50's music that continuously plays.
    Whenever I see the American Graffiti movie, it always puts a smile on my face. Yes, the staying out all night, cruising, racing and working on cars in the backyard may have moved to the memory side of my life. Just like the many times I have seen the movie, my memories are still there and continue to be added to as new ones are created with Family and Friends.

6. Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer to the end you get, the faster is goes!

Unfortunately, none of us have a "second roll"...Live it accordingly!

Baron, Algoma56 and raymay like this.
  7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I grew up in a period of time where this part of life was gone, we had street racing still going on, but no real cruise scenes, other than the cruise and hangouts at the places we took over with hundreds of cars when a race area was shut down by the police. In my early 20s those places were all gone, police were doing raids, taking everyone to jail even for sitting there watching. Houston is kinda shit when it comes to this stuff.. I used to wish those AG times were back upon us. Closest we get these days is Roundup roadtripping with friends there, cruising to show and from, top notch burgers etc... I have to say that makes things worth it... The times changed, people don't interact in person much anymore or even by phone, now social and email... But we keep this old shit alive, big positive is being a grey haired man, driving an old car, cops dont seem to want to wast their time with us... Kid in a new mustang, yep tickets..... Hotrod guys, kustoms, and all in between, need to realize that those kids doing tuner shit, lifted/lowered new stuff, are the ones who will come to this stuff next. They will carry the torch so don't be a dick...

dirty old man likes this.
  8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

When the movie opened at the drive in here my wife and I drove my 67 GTX hemi to watch it . I felt Cool.

Nicholas Coe and dirty old man like this.
  9. Those movies are good but they left out the house parties with Ripple, "T" bird and Silver Satin. and the Sessions at El Monte Legion Stadium. 1954 to 1964 were the best times.

10. 6sally6

6sally6

Seems like a lot of us suffer from the same ailment........'too-many-birthdays'!
    I didn't read this entire post but it looks like us "more seasoned" guys have a more truthful outlook than the younger ones. Maybe because we DID a lot of the stuff some of these movies portray!
    I still love the open headers and snotty camshaft (even though a well tuned 4 cylinder would pass me in a good race!) I guess it makes me feel like a kid again?!
    I do a lot more standing around and laughing about the cars we had (or our buddys had or....I knew a guy who had a buddy who had), the beer we drank, the girls we scored with, drag races we went to, movie we went to (many times in the trunk of a car).
    Most of the memories occurred when it was hot weather (but never uncomfortable for some reason.) Maybe because most of us grew up withOUT AC?!
    Is it still fun?!! Uhhhhhhhhh yeah. Could I work on my car all day on Saturday and stay out past midnight, get up and go to Church, go to the drag races(after noon..'Blue Laws' ya know!)and cruise past midnight again?!! My mind sez yes but my ass knows better!
    I still enjoy cruis'in my old hot rod and "looking-through-the-windshield-with-16-year-old-eyes". Although I do need my readers if there is small print!
    Enjoy it fellas because......that little "niggly-wiggly" something in the back of my mind is telling me this THANG ain't gonna go on too much longer!
    6sally6

dirty old man likes this.