Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Contemplating Retirement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 9, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think a tin woody with a mild baby hemi, 3 pedals and a 1950’s era rack on top . Wide whites on Supremes . :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  2. louisb

louisb

3. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kauai ...perfect!! An awesome place to while away the hours Ryan.
    I've been there often since the '80s ...common then was the Volkswagen Thing!
    You will have to consider sea-side rust, but will never again have another leaky gasket as the weather is so consistent.

As a Canadian, I can't retire there 24-7-365 ...but, given the opportunity I would be taking my baby. With minimal tool parking lot ease of repair and repop catalogue everything, it just makes sense to keep it simple.

Perhaps this IS too Ford Barn for ya'll. But, there is a lot of modern upgrades that you just can't see unless your X-Ray Cast Specs are on!! No mountain too high, no valley to low... this baby's been around. Just not yet to an Hawaiian island... Not yet!

So... Ryan, hang loose ya Haole. I'm guessing I will find you in 12 years outside and in line at the Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a. Look for me, I'll be in a stupid Straw Fedora, Wooden Sunglasses, and Vintage HAMB Shirt.
    And remember... Respect the Ali'i. You are only a visitor.

Aloha

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    loudbang and zipoleon like this.
  4. A country boy retiring in Hawaii,,,,,not a bad idea,,,just something I never saw coming !
    To be honest I don’t know how those people live over there like that ?

Just imagine,,,,,same comfortable temperature,,,beautiful weather 365 days a year,,,,lots of refreshing water,,,,great scenery,,,,,hummmmm?
    Where was I going with this ?

Tommy

loudbang likes this.
  5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I liked the idea of retiring to an island so much that I bought a house off the coast of Massachusetts, Marthas Vineyard. Owned the house for 10 years and came to the conclusion that an island in the winter time in New England is a pretty closed unexciting place. To do anything you have to go off island. The summer population went from about 15000 year round residents to over 80000! Then the presidents starting vacation there! You couldn't get anywhere when it was nice. So in the end I came to the conclusion I would never be happy on an island. Even in Hawaii your on an island and to do really cool shit you are limited unless you want to spend the rest of your life surfing and diving. If you do more power to you! Don't get me wrong, its beautiful out there. But having been there once, played golf at Kaanapali, seen the sights and did what there was to do I'm good!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  6. chop&drop

chop&drop

Why not a ‘33-‘34 sedan delivery with rubber mats and a removable back seat?

hotrodjack33 and loudbang like this.
  7. eberhama

eberhama

Mine was in the san fran bay area in the mid-sixties, wonder if that where ol' Jacques traded her off? Has the coastal rain gutter rust to prove it.

Attached Files:

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. I’m 41 but I’m constantly playing this exact game too. I would think you could fit a fair amount of scuba gear in the trunk of a ‘35 roadster. Next choice would be a model A based Woody.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I would go with a 1936 Ute or similar year.
    3d8593a09a146433d678cf2983a97ca4.jpg

raven, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Kauai is my wifes' favorite of the islands, her next trip is actually in a couple months, am I going, NOPE, I wasn't invited:mad:
    And yes, we are both retired.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I don’t care for the water, so I’ll never be living on an island. Hope to semi retire next year, but I ain’t going nowhere, I’m staying right here in Bama. Why not? The place is paid for, been here over 40 years, got 8 acres to do what I want on, no reason to go anywhere. If I did have to live near the water, I’d want a 4x4 pickup. Might need to go farther inland one day! But on an island, inland isn’t very far.

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess one of these would work ok as a multi purpose vehicle-it works gerat for hauling friends, family, surfboards, SUPs, parts, camping, --- UTEC9310.jpg

Tman, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Kauai? Better buy property now (or relocate now)! I fell in love with the islands during my first visit there a few years ago and said aloud, I'd trade everything to stay there. Now we have our first Grandchild, so to Petejoe's point, a lot can change in 12 years.

If you go RPU, build yourself a hinged locking tonneau cover so you can lock down your gear (out of sight) in case you stop for lunch on the way home.

exterminator, loudbang and brigrat like this.
  14. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Ryan, when the time comes choose carefully. I have spent time on Oahu and the Big Island and I can tell you two things. Islands only get smaller and when you retire the years will peel away like feathers in a wind tunnel. I retired at 63. I am now 74 and I am in awe how fast they went. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Phaeton. Hands down.

loudbang and continentaljohn like this.
  16. RmK57

RmK57

Early Bronco. Wont get stuck in the sand.;)

loudbang and continentaljohn like this.
  17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Always thought this combo would work well in Hawaii!
    36 Ford (5).PNG

18. My wife has been to Hawaii multiple times(most recently3 years ago) and was disturbed by the number of homeless people who have taken up residence there. The weather is great there most of the time so homeless people don’t have to seek shelter from the cold. Personally, 20-30 years ago the islands would have been a great place to reside, but I would be looking at other options besides Hawaii. Just my 2 cents worth!

loudbang likes this.
  19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why be conventional...isn't that what this is all about? Old Skool.jpg

20. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

An RPU or Phaeton would work for me.

loudbang likes this.
  21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

22. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

95F399C3-2AA8-4AC6-8784-FE53C94C8343.jpeg 87343742-DE0F-474D-9079-F0DACAF593CA.jpeg B2E8197C-B08E-452D-88F9-34B6AB9A12EF.jpeg This model even comes with a surfboard

23. I don’t think you’ll have any issue finding a suitable candidate for a hotrod when you relocate to the island. As a self employed entrepreneur- good luck with the thought of retirement. You’re wired differently..your initiative and internal drive make it hard to stop or slow down at any age-not a bad thing really-the curse of successful people.

loudbang likes this.
  24. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Take it from a guy that has wanted to move to a no winter, warmer state, do it sooner rather than later, way before the grandkids start to accumulate...………………..

loudbang likes this.
  25. foulcan_mick

foulcan_mick
    from Oz

Steve Stanford already solved your problem.

Red '40 Ford convertible pickup with the flowing trunk. You know the one.

loudbang likes this.
  26. gene-koning

gene-koning

Once grandkids arrive, where you live will be determined by where they live. Most of the time, grandma and grandpa don't want to be too far from grandkids. Grandkids are a lot more fun then kids are, you get to spoil them, and send them home, unless their home is 1000s of miles across a pond.

To keep on topic, if I could only choose one ride, it would have to be a late 30s - 40s Ute or a 50s windowed panel or wagon. Gene

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  27. frank spittle

frank spittle

If you are going to be involved with the JJ after retirement a '32 Ford sedan delivery is as traditional as it gets and will hide what's in it. A '56 is too new for someone in your position.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Johnny99

Johnny99

Kauai has a drag strip! Get something you can beat on a bit.

loudbang likes this.