Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I agree! Shoot man not like that car sits still long enough for someone to knit pick the paint anyways

2. I'm not painting this car! It would have to be really perfect for black and I'm not taking the car off the road for hours and days of block sanding. Plus I'm lazy and keeping it in urethane primer so if I ever sell it I can honestly say to my prospective buyer : "The only filler on the entire car is a little bit on top of the grille shell". Even tho the welds are all visible under the primer. And I truly like the gray color....if gray's a color.

lodaddyo, 31hotrodguy, Tman and 5 others like this.
  3. Trying to get a little time to play with the new Americans. I tried a spot of a front wheel with paint stripper and stiff stainless steel brushes. The paint is coming off but the aluminum underneath is the same color as the paint! Makes it hard to see if I'm getting all the paint off. This is gonna take some time but it'll be worth it. 34ameriwheels3_3_20.jpg 34ameriwheels3_3_20_2nd.jpg

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see what the big deal is, the can says it will only take two minutes...….

-Abone.

5. Right.... I think I'll drown the wheels in paint remover and then drive them to my favorite, local car wash...the one with the high powered wand.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

David Bowie would call those "young Americans"

7. OK...Last night I cleaned a little more, masked off the rim-part, hit the wheels with variprime and then some stainless spray paint. I still wasn't sold on the paint, thinking it looked too much like hardware store silver paint...This evening I used files, D.A., scotchbrite, steel wool and followed it up with wenol. The poor tortured wheel-rims cleaned up somewhat but without a lathe, this is about as good as they get. Popped in the lugnuts and screwed on the knockoffs for a photo. Still not sold on the knockoffs and I may replace them with flat plate, I dunno.
    Whaddya think? Is the stainless paint too cliche? 34americans3_6_20.jpg 34americans3_20.jpg 34americanspaint.jpg

8. They look good to me. I might skip the knock-offs for caps or flat plate, too.

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Looks good to me too, I have to agree with you, those knock offs just don't look right!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good from where I am sitting!

11. I got a buddy who said he'd beadblast the wheels but it involves some serious masking with heavy tape and he can't get to them for "Awhile"....think I'll stick with the stainless paint.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Paint looks good from here. And another vote for flat plate

13. raven

raven

They look good, something just a little different and not like every other aluminum wheel out there. My vote is to do them all that way.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. 32fenderless

32fenderless

That brand of stainless paint is used by Team III wheels. For a little darker look you can go with cast blast.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Imho the stainless paint looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spokeasm...I actually don't mind it but the symmetry is off...2 of the three are spaced in the openings, 1 lines up with a spoke...machine some vintage caps...polished up...or something period correct...

Perhaps my observation is an illusion...I was thinking it had an inspirational nod to those multi spoke mid 60s Drag Race Hotrods

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  17. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I think the stainless paint looks good also!

loudbang likes this.
  18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I like it! But I am kinda partial to old wheels cleaned up, painted, and put to use! (see Nomad in my avatar)

guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  19. loudbang likes this.
  20. Got all four done. Here's a photo of me masking off the rims before paint...I have new tires for the front runners but none for the rear yet. I'll buy another pair of 285/70s for the back wheels.....I choose to keep all the tires on my wire wheels. After I'm convinced all 4 of my new torque thrusts are ok I'll sell off the wires and tires. Looky at the jewelry!
    34wheelsdone.jpg 34wheelsmasking.jpg

GordonC, brEad, Shadow Creek and 5 others like this.
  21. OH yeah! I also ordered a set of aluminum flat caps for the wheel centers. I'll have to use my hole saw to make a hole in the front caps for the dust cover to poke through. They actually make a flat cap with a 2& 7/8ths hole for the new Torque Thrusts (2&1/4 inch VS the old pattern at 2&1/8th"] but not for my ancient wheels.

22. The freshly painted wheels look good..like your plan using the flat caps.

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  23. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

The wheels look great that way! I'd opt for the flat caps.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Look great man

loudbang likes this.
  25. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Wheely looking good...Realy hard work by the looks but a nice finish to be happy with.

loudbang likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm gonna miss seeing the car without the wires but, those wheels will look great with the plates on them.:D

loudbang likes this.
  27. 392

Great job. Your ride will take on a total new look.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Those look great! I am also a big fan of taking old 5-spokes and making them look new again instead of just buying new. I am collecting enough for my son’s pu project now.

loudbang likes this.
  29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

American makes a Aluminium short cap for both the fronts and rears....
    Try looking for those instead of a flat cap and cutting a hole in it for the bearing dust cap.
    Just a suggestion.

Glad you are ditching the poser spinners - so 80's.....

30. loudbang likes this.