Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New here and have a 34 ford bb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by av3464, Nov 27, 2015.

1. av3464

av3464

I'm new to this hot rod building word but have lots of fab skill and looking to build my 34 into something like a traditional hot rod or hot rod. I'm going to run fenderless even though when my grandpa gave me this truck he said I could not make rat rod or anything stupid, but its not stupid nor gonna be a rat rod! He's had this truck for 20+ years and never got around to do anything with it and I want him to drive it once its done within the year. I'm looking for any help or suggestions on how to get the stance I want. I'm going to use the stock 34 ford bb frame and shorten it to how I want it, put a 4-link in and make my own box. I planned on buying a 4" drop axle from speedway motors for the front end. I going to run tall skinny tires on 35 ford wheels but also in the toss up widening two to run cheater slicks because I'm caught in the middle of both styles. I want to cut 2" out of the bb frame to drop it instead of channeling because I'm 6'2" and plan on driving it a lot and want it to be comfortable. If anyone could help on the right path with the front axle would be great! I want to also be able to put the hood on if needed and or fenders to make granddad happy because I want him to drive it once its done. I basically know what I want but don't have time to search and find all the info I need so instead I figured I would just post and see what happens. Thanks for any help and letting me join in on the fun!

Attached Files:

2. I would have left that bit out.

In the mean time I think you should use the search function, or simply browse back through pages here and acquaint yourself with the many builds. You'll get familiar with what's what and probably have lots of questions answered along the way.

I would suggest Pete & Jakes website because apart from parts for sale, it also has tech sheets and installation instructions which will explain a lot for you also. Of course there are other places...just don't go straight to Speedway.

porknbeaner and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Welcome to the site.
    Cool looking truck- update with a new drivetrain and some good brakes and DRIVE IT. ( Grandad would dig it).
    I would avoid the hot rod/ street rod "hybrid" thing; it's like mixing oil and water. Show the old girl some respect and do an exterior clean up ( I like the paint) and mechanical upgrades and GO.
    Biggest decision I'd have is the back end treatment; flatbed, metal bed, ? ( make a super car hauler, then you'd have an excuse to buy a car!) Good luck with it.

patmanta, volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Just my opinion but I would find a car or pickup truck frame. I am just finishing a 34 pickup and I think you will be time, money and labor ahead to find another frame to start with. Your cab, fenders, hood and grille will fit the smaller frame.

clem, loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. I agree with Don,I would suggest finding a 33/34 Ford passenger car or pickup frame to simplify the build.

Check out this thread,there are many 32-34 pickups to give you ideas. HRP

CLICK HERE

loudbang likes this.
  6. av3464

av3464

Thanks for the help! I wanna use the bb frame because its bigger and stronger because I'm not going to drive like grandpa would. Are the speedway axles any good? I was looking at there cheap forged and drilled one they have as a kit, but not sure if its any good.

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The stuff from speedway can have its place but original parts are of better quality and cheaper to start out with. Besides finding the right parts will introduce you local rodders and sources of other parts, pieces and services you will need to get the truck done.

8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You will find that your 'B-B' axles are HUGE compared to passenger car parts(I'm working on a '28 'A-A' chassis & using '34 'B-B' axles & the Budd hubs & wheels) If you want a 'hot-rod' with dropped axles & split bones, you'll be way better off finding a donor passenger chassis & transferring your sheet metal, as none of the chassis parts is passenger compatible : the 'B-B' spindle/kingpin won't fit the passenger axle : the rear suspension(parallel HEAVY springs ) is an entirely different design.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Your decision, but you won't need a chassis any bigger or stronger than a stock configured frame. Just box it where it needs to be boxed or get an aftermarket frame thats fully boxed with crossmembers already installed.

10. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

You don't need to throw away that frame. You are correct, it has all the strength that people have to add to a pass car or small truck frame. I have a 36 Model 51 1.5-ton, the successor to the BB. I worked with a fellow HAMB'ER to have a quick change built that retained dual rear wheels since I was going for "shop truck." This let's me use all the good late model Ford brake stuff. In front, I used the stock axle and adapted F350 disc brake spindles to it by re-sizing kingpin bore to larger late model size. You could keep a more traditional look with F250 drum brake spindles from a late 60's Ford. I have not figured out steering yet. Things have to be arranged to clear my 392 Hemi.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. av3464

av3464

Has anyone done quick attach fenders? So you can look like a regular pickup one day with tall skinny tires and then take the fenders and hood off and run cheater slicks?

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ĖThat's a nice projekt you have there! I like trucks, but the big question is; do you want it to be a pick up truck or a truck truck?

I love trucks, and I would go for a rear truck since you got truck frame, fenders and wheels. But go for modern transmission and brakes.

I've been a part of a restoration of a 1935 Ford fire engine. And I most confess with out a doubt it's the gearbox and frame that let's the rest down, not suspension or steering. I will never steer like a gocart, nor was it meant to.
    So modern brakes and transmission and that truck would be a absolute pleasure to drive, I would even Daily Drive, it if I could keep that flathead with fuel.

But if you want a small pick up that handles like a go cart you should ditch anything non sheet metal and take it from there.

But a modern 4 or 5 speed manual gearbox, and a nicely geared rear with big tires, and the 250 drums already suggested and you would be golden for style or speed.

If you are going after the pick up look, get a small car frame and go to @Dennis lasy @Flowmeister and @Rob bobs build threads
    They are awesome!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    a boner and patmanta like this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Inspiration

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS and patmanta like this.
  14. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

if you dont have time to search,you dont have time to build it...there is a wealth of info o the hamb for these trucks ......do your homework.....good luck on your build ..i mean no disrespect .no one is gonna hold your hand ...get er done!!!

clem likes this.
  15. My son has a 34 BB. We used the frame and cut it about a foot behind the cab. We took the rear part that we cut off and laid it on top of the frame that was sticking out behind the cab. This Zeed the frame 6" . We then put parallel leaf springs and a 9'rear. We adjusted the wheel base to 124" and put a narrowed and shortened flat bed on the back .

The bed was narrowed to the same width as a 1/2 ton bed with the fenders attached and the length is about 7'
    The front suspension is typical 4' dropped axle and front spring.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Hey 2 deuces....we need pictures!

17. King,The project is on hold and stored away . Hard to get pix.

18. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I understand that, I am in the same boat currently !....too much ot work right now...

19. av3464

av3464

Bringing this post back to life after not being able to work on this project in 5 years. I finally got it home! I will be going down to Pete and Jakes to get a front end within the next couple weeks. As of now the plan is to still shorten the BB frame. I have a searched quite a bit on this site and it seems like most the pictures do not work or threads just don't have what I am looking for. I would like to see some builds using a 1.5 truck frame for inspiration. Looking for ride heights and stance. I am also in the market for some rear pickup fenders! I have a set of rears that I do not know what are for that I would trade or sell. Also would like any info on steering columns, seat options, and bed options that people have seen or using.

chryslerfan55 and patmanta like this.
  20. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I know you are looking for more of a slammed look but my 1936 1.5 ton is getting a quickchange, hemi, disc brakes but it will ride high. The steering knuckles came from a 1984 Econoline and they fit the original axle with just a slight increase in kingpin bore. The quickchange is retained using the same collars that Henry Ford made. Nice stuff. Glad we can keep it going. IMG_6016.jpeg IMG_5992.jpeg IMG_6064.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, VANDENPLAS and RMR&C like this.
  21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

So much for that original timeline, eh? ;)

Well, if you still want to get this done quickly with what you have, I would suggest using as much of what you have as you can and altering as little as is necessary to get what you want when you want it.

Do you have wheel and tire sizes chosen? I am assuming you are getting a 4" dropped axle. Make sure you measure the front crossmember width; I think the big trucks ran a thicker spring pack so you may need a spacer to keep it from swimming around.

I think you would do fine just bobbing the frame and putting a new rear end wherever you think it looks right. I would play around with some palettes to visualize a flatbed while I was at it.

I was originally thinking of making a cab-width bed out of cedar for mine for a spell.

Here is my AAV8 project. I kicked, sectioned, and shortened the frame (I don't recommend this on your timeline, just bob the frame and put it together; there is plenty to do and it will still be cool). I do not have the dropped axle installed yet so I'm nose-up a bit.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-hot-rod-29-aa-express-aav8-build.1124353/

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. av3464

av3464

jack_pine, looks good so far! Don't see many people leaving them high! patmanta, I was going to try and runs some wheels and tires off a 13' mustang. I think it will look fine, just have to figure out how I want to mount the rear axle, so many options! The front end is being ordered today along with some other parts! I am also not sure which direction to go with steering, any input would be great!

23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I wouldn't bother with modern wheels. They are almost always metric and can be a PITA to incorporate with an old Ford. You can get deep into billet and street rod territory with that stuff. Get some old ford pattern wheels and just build the truck.

Steering I would suggest keeping simple and getting a F-1 to F-3 box. You could probably do fine with a F-4 up box too but I haven't tried that out myself on mine yet since I still need a pitman arm.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Slopok

Slopok

Come on man, how much more time do you think Grampa has left???o_O

25. A Boner

A Boner

image.png image.png Go big, or go home. Why cut it all up...go with the flow. Bet Grampa would agree!

26. A Boner

A Boner

27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think that's the same truck with its tarp off ;)

But I totally agree. I actually have that truck in my inspiration folder myself.

I am pretty sure this one has a dropped axle and a 4-bar up front. Big n Littles but I'm not sure the ratio is drastic. This is a great way to get what you described in your OP, @av3464

28. av3464

av3464

To update the project. I received my front end, went with 4" drop and 4 bar. Also got a vega steering box. I'm not cutting up the truck other than shortening the frame. I don't need it to haul anything as I have other pickups for that. Will be making my own box, what are people running for custom lengths?? I am still searching for rear fenders! Any recommendations on simple nice steering columns? As far as modern wheels, fords new pattern is not very far off at all from old ford, plus I work at a cnc machine shop and have a friend who owns a machine shop so not worried about it. I don't want to blend in with old school looks, I like being different.

29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Not very far off is great for horseshoes but IMO you would be still best served by a set of new Wheel Vintiques or old ford 5x5.5 wheels than trying to fit metric wheels on an old Ford. And you're not wanting to "blend in with old school looks" you're probably not asking on the right board. This entire site is dedicated to "old school looks" so you're not likely to get much encouragement in that direction.

The drop axle is a nice move. The 4 bar and vega box will keep it simple for you and with a set of splash aprons, they will be subtle (as well as lowering the look of the truck a bit).

With that long WB, you would do fine with an 8' bed. If you bring the WB in to something comparable to the half ton, I would suggest starting with 6' since the truck will still sit a bit high and that should balance the proportions out nicely.

30. av3464

av3464

I should rephrase the modern look I’m leaning towards. I won’t be using metric bolt pattern but just the modern look. As far as the rest of the look it will be more towards traditional. I also bought Pete and Jake’s front crossmember which appears to be to wide. Anyone ever put one in a BB frame?