Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Your pushing me and questioning some of my initial thoughts on this helped me get where I am! There's still some things I'm not completely happy with, but it's all stuff that's easily taken care of at this point, most of it being cosmetic..... I appreciate it Mart!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Final location of everything! The rope represents shift rod....plenty of clearance! I cut the pedal assembly off again and I made a new bracket to attach to trans mount, eliminated those hideous gussets and tweeked the brake/clutch levers with some heat. I think it looks cleaner now than it did yesterday. I welded the steering box mount more permanently, but it still needs some tidying along with installation of the wedge I made. I’m not far off from factory location of pitman arm ball, so I should be good to go! Column shift will work just fine now!! I’ll be welding everything up permanent during frame prep before painting it! Thanks to those who gave me honest feedback and input! I’m totally jazzed now and can finally allocate brain power to other waiting tasks......thanks for stoppin’ in fellas......Wooo Hoooo!!!! IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1852.JPG IMG_1849.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Mart

Mart

Cool. Once everything is settled, will you brace the forward part of the pedal support bracket across to the frame?

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes.....I'll be making a bracket that bolts to the frame to reinforce the pedal/master assembly and removing the rivets for the crossmember and installing bolts to make the whole "unit" removeable.....I'll be able to remove the trans mounts, master cylinder/pedal crossmember all as one unit. Thanks for your input Mart!!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Wavetrain75

Wavetrain75

6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Which one to use? Is it common for a drop axle to be narrower? I was leaning strongly against splitting the wishbone.....if I use the drop axle, I would have to because the perch mount holes are narrower too! Thoughts? IMG_1854.JPG

7. loudbang

loudbang

There was a post last week about dropping an axle and YEP narrowing is a result.

1947knuck and Piewagn like this.
  8. You don't have to split the wishbone with the narrower perch bolt centers; put some of that old H.S. trig to work to figure how much change in leg length and shorten as (if) needed. Could save $50-$75 worth of bungs and rod ends. Still need new spring, tho.

Nailhead A-V8, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  9. WTF really

WTF really

I used a 36 axle reversed the original main spring and moved a couple leaf's around and dropped 3 inches from stock model a height

Piewagn, RICH B and loudbang like this.
  10. bangerbob

bangerbob

I put 19 inch on rear and 17 on front, dropped 3 1/2 inches 20191122_162917.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J337P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Hey Piewagon, great thread and awesome build man! I just went through the whole thing and every post reminds me of the build I did a short time ago. I love to see how you have remedied some of the obstacles you have had as I had many of the same.
    Most recently you mentioned making a wedge for the steering box. The F100 frame is tapered in where the box is mounted and Model A frame is straight. I used an F100 box as well. I stacked flat washers between the frame and the box until the column was where I wanted it, adding and subtracting them was a big pain in the ass to do but when I was done I had the measurements I needed to make a wedge. Good luck and am watching closely, Ron
    "Something from nothing 29 roadster build"

Nailhead A-V8, loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Rich! That's what I was gonna do, figure out how much to shorten it but then the stupid light went off in my head.....the effing spring! I'm gonna stick the stock spring in and see how it sits. Snyders sells the wishbone bracket so you can use a later model trans. That me be the ticket for now.....thanks again Rich!!

loudbang likes this.
  13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks WD!! I'm doing my best with what I have and the budget I have and I'm trying to document the column shift mods as best as I can. The washer trick is EXACTLY what I did. I cut and welded together the 3/16" stock that I needed tonight after work, now I just have to put it in the Bridgeport and mill the angle I need. I guess great minds think alike! :D:D Thanks for catching up on the build and I hope to see you around here more often.....still lots more to do!

loudbang and wheeldog57 like this.
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

loudbang likes this.
  15. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks LB! After moving that clutter around in my head, the bell went off and I thought.....DOH.....logical result, ya can't make something from nothin', there's only so much material there......

loudbang likes this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

This is the makings of my clutch linkage and actuator shaft....yes, I will be documenting the process!
    Thanks fellas and happy Friday!!! IMG_1875.JPG

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  17. Piewagn

Piewagn

Broke the edges, left a good radius in the corner. I’ll make a mount for the AR pillow block bearing on the frame. I was actually thinking, since I won’t be using the stock backing plates or brakes, I could use the stock lever/arm for the parking brake actuator as the lever for my clutch. I’ll take pics of course. Thanks for stoppin’ by fellas! IMG_1888.JPG IMG_1889.JPG

brEad and loudbang like this.
  18. Piewagn

Piewagn

I’m thinkin’ I’ll use this lever for the clutch lever, just attach it to the shaft with some minor mods and VOILA! I have my clutch actuating lever! Adjustments.JPG

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Clutch actuator shaft basically done.....Just have to cut the 1/4” slot in the fat end and scavenge the park brake lever off of the existing stock backing plate. I’ll be making a bracket for the frame side out of 5/16.....Should be good ta go!! Hope all yer Monday’s went well...thanks fellas!! IMG_1898.JPG

barrnone50 and loudbang like this.
  20. Jedro Jenkins

Jedro Jenkins

Very nice work

loudbang likes this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you JJ! Thanks for stoppin' by....hope to see ya more often.....

loudbang and Jedro Jenkins like this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Still have a few things to finish it off, but you get the idea.....
    Thanks for checkin’ in fellas! IMG_1905.JPG

23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Now I just have to attach the lever to the shaft after measurements then I can make final attachment to frame rail.....thanks for lookin’fellas!!! IMG_1909.JPG IMG_1908.JPG

24. Piewagn

Piewagn

Forgot! I switched out from the idea of using the weld in ball studs to the tapered bolt in ball studs. This way I can use my original tie rod..... IMG_1910.JPG

25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Another hurdle! Clutch actuator....just need to make the linkage. I moved the clevis/swivel mount to the other side of the clutch pedal to accommodate space and the modified park brake lever. Once again, the bracket is just tacked to the frame, I’ll secure it permanently during frame prep. Thanks for poppin’ in fellas and happy Friday!! IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1923.JPG IMG_1924.JPG

26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Making linkage and adjuster today....just gotta get the right length and leave room for adjustments....thanks for stoppin’ by fellas! IMG_1928.JPG

Jeff34 likes this.
  27. sleepchamber

sleepchamber

28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Adjustable linkage done.....need to tidy it up some and trim the pins, but it’s functional! I started on the bracket to secure the assembly to the frame rail to secure and tighten things up.......thanks for comin’ by fellas!! IMG_1930.JPG

29. Piewagn

Piewagn

Hey thanks man!
    "right turn Clyde!" Loved that movie......:D:D

30. Mart

Mart

Good job on the linkage.

Piewagn likes this.