Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1927 Model t-ish hotrod pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eddiesixem, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

I picked this up a while back. I have always wanted to build a hotrod and after having a couple other projects that left before they even got started, I finally have one that I’m going To build. Its a hodgepodge of parts, and old 26-27 touring body chopped down (better for me being a big guy), a model a bed, a nice incomplete hand built frame out of 2x3 with a model a crossmember and horns, some 34-35 artilerys, 4 inch dropped axle complete with split bones shackles and spring, an S-10 rear end with mounted transverse spring and some other odds and ends. I want to run 5.50-16s on the fron and 750-16s black walls on the rear. My plan is to thrash hard on it. The frame Was setup for a 401 nailhead and 400 trans, but i am nailheadless at the moment. I do have a sbc 327 and a fresh 400 block laying around with a 700 r 4, but im thinking it at the very least ahould have a 4 speed and a beefier rear if i am putting bigger power too it, so am kind of holding out. Heres a pic of it mocked up. I will probably be asking questions in the near future as I am still gathering parts for this thing. Thanks! Please share pics for inspiration! IMG_8633.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    brEad, OFT, dana barlow and 7 others like this.
  2. scotts52

scotts52

Going to be sweet. Looking forward to this build.

3. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Great start. Gonna be a nice, fun build. Keep the info and pics. Coming

4. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Thanks guys, im still doing research, i am wondering if anyone has pics with ohv straight 6 engines in a 26-27 t, i have a really nice built 235 in my fleetline that im kind of tired of, considering harvesting the motor out of it and selling it, it has a late model saginaw 3 speed behind it and [​IMG]that might find its way between the rails also. Any pics? Found a few on the net but nothing that makes me really want to go that route

kidcampbell71, dana barlow and Stogy like this.

5. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

[​IMG][​IMG]

Collection is growing bigger! Going to get a start soon. Turlock was pretty good to me,

i picked up a 35 column and box complete but the steering wheel is frozen to the column, im thinking the bearing is frozen at the column. Anyone know how to get the wheel off?

Looks like somone was rapping on the end of the shaft a bit already. The jacket is loose and spins with the wheel and the box works and feels pretty smooth. I will run the cross steer setup if i run this, but have a line on an f1 box also im hoping that will pan out.

kidcampbell71, OFT and dana barlow like this.
  6. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Moved it into the garage and got both axles hung, need to finish the bones and the z in the rear but here is how she looks righr now, loaded down she should be about 2 inches or so lower all around i think the stance overall it pretty good though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squablow, kidcampbell71, OFT and 2 others like this.
  7. Gofannon

Gofannon

Putting a 270 GMC in my roadster, but it might have a 235 or 261 to start with. After a lot of mocking up I decided to cut the firewall and set the engine back a little. Its hard to keep the wheelbase short, mine's about 114". At least with a pickup you can shorten the bed and move the rear axle forward to get proportions right.

[​IMG]

Stogy, kidcampbell71, OFT and 5 others like this.
  8. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Wow that thing is super cool! I have a hopped up 235 in my fleetline i thought about putting in this thing too, but after much back and forth, i decided to stick with the 327, i was able to shrink my wheel base to 109, and am on rthe fence about shortening the bed, being it was a touring body, its extra long bucket kind of lend itself to the original model a bed.... but we will see as the project progresses. Thanks for sharing!

Gofannon likes this.
  9. Gofannon

Gofannon

10. Gofannon

Gofannon

11. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

IMG_9681.JPG
    IMG_9678.JPG
    Well heres a small update, i have found more parts, set my wheel base, put the engine (327 and a bw t-10) and trans mounts in, and will be finishing the rearend up in the next week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Ok, this covid stuff has me at home alot and alot of that time has been in the garage. I have got the rear axle set and rear 4 link in. Because im using an s10 rear end, i opted to build a bridge over the cast pumpkin(which i will be adding gussets to), i will be finishing welding and fishplating the frame and cleaning it all up, for now everything is just tacked inplace(just in case), only the unreachable stuff welded up. The bed is cut in so this is about how it should sit when finished. I plan on running 750-16s (blackwall)in the rear. I think the stance will be pretty nice. [​IMG] IMG_9839.JPG

OFT, dana barlow and ChuckleHead_Al like this.
  13. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Well, i have continued moving on this thing. Gathering parts, ( thanks to some good friends) deciding what to use and what not to use....i pondered the steering quite a while and ended up seeing my first idea through. I reversed my 35 ford cross steer gemmer and went to town. Alot of work into that little box! Welding the flange, making the mount, drilling and taping a new fill plug, plating the backside, and filing the pitmanarm just to name a few. Still more to finish it...I aquired an old schroeder steering wheel and went with an after market column and drop. I modififed my f-1 spindles to accept bolt on arms, i am not sure i am happy with this tho, and have picked up some square back 41-48 spindles, and may heat and bend the arms for a more traditional look. Although everything is just tacked together, it is really taking shape. Room is a premium in this little garage and i also need to straighten up, hence the clutter! More to come!
    IMG_2433.JPG IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2386.JPG IMG_2388.JPG

Attached Files:

14. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Really digging your T truck, keep those updates coming. Subscribed.

15. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Thank you, im really hoping to finish up the frame in the next month or so and start welding it all up, then the rebuilding of the drivetrain comes next!

ChuckleHead_Al and OFT like this.
  16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great start you have there.
    I got a 1926 project T closed cab pickup and I ended up at 116" wheel base and that is with a slightly shortened box.
    It is tricky trying to keep the wheel base short and still maintain the correct visual balance and stance.
    I'm using a 1932 Ford style chassis as well.

17. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Yes i couldnt agree more, i was able to get mine down to 108, but it was really tight fortunatly all my measuring paid off, and it looks like i will not have to move my engine any farther back or anything like that. The only thing i may do, is sweep the frame a bit in the front for a little bit mor rake. Im hoping when i put my 750s on the rear it will satisfy my desired stance with that perfect amount of rake im looking for. Just a minor rake but enough to show a little aggressivness.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  18. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

So i couldnt push it out of the garage, (steep driveway)but i did turn it to get a little better perspective. I am pretty satitisfied with the look so far. Once i get my 750-16s for the back i think the stance will be about right.
    IMG_2638.JPG

brEad, ChuckleHead_Al, OFT and 3 others like this.
  19. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

t5.jpg t3.jpg t2.jpg t1.jpg So alot has happend with this little pickup, i decided to extend my frame another 2 inches and move my engine back another inch, this all came from extensive review after the full mockup, i have also added the right tires (750-16s) and wide 5s on the rear. I have really been trying to nail something that looks propotioned. It has been a challange, but overall i am pretty happy with the profile after the changes. I also restepped the rear of my frame, for a better looking end result. The unfortunate part of this project is it may completely change in the near future as i have picked up an A frame, 29 roadster body and a nailhead! I havent decided if im going to finish this or just move on to the roadster. For now im planning on moving forward with this. So heres a few pics as to where its at

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    brEad, Stogy, Shadow Creek and 3 others like this.
  20. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

82C7AF67-8C2A-4C13-840F-5B06180F4052.png
    Well the rpu is no more, parted out for the roadster ad sold off. This thread will end here. I havent decided if im going to start another thread for the roadster now or when im further down the road with it. Update on the replacement, 29 roadster body( completely disassembled, but pretty decent, 28 frame, 401 nailhead edelbrock b-58 6x2 manifold with 6 94s, early t10, 56 olds rear, f1 brakes up front.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    OFT, Stogy and Gofannon like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the best on the new adventure...and certainly keep on sharing the progress...life is very fluid...win, win comes to mind...

Eddiesixem likes this.
  22. A Boner

A Boner

Usually a good idea to try to keep a wheelbase on the shorter side. Getting everything to fit with a shorter wheelbase takes some planning ahead, and is not always easy, but usually ends up looking better.

Stogy and Eddiesixem like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Man, I just read through the whole thread. Lol.
    So why the change in direction if you don’t mind me asking?

Stogy and Eddiesixem like this.
  24. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Agreed, on the roadster i am right about 105 and a half , i will be about 106 when its all done i think. Im determined not to go over the 106 mark. I am planning every which way to shave length, i also dont want the firewall to look like its swallowing half of the engine either tho! Hopfully it all works out. Nailheads do not make it easy.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  25. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

In reality, i picked up the T just to build a hotrod, but it wasn’t what i really wanted for a hotrod,when the opportunity from my buddy came up to buy his disassembled roadster body that had been on the shelf for a couple years. I always wanted a 28-29 roadster and had a frame layin around already, so it just all kind of made sence, the parts i had accumulated fit the roadster better in my mind, so i made that tough call! Haha

Stogy and Budget36 like this.