Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Grille onto 30 roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RayMoray, Feb 29, 2020.

1. RayMoray

RayMoray

I’m considering fittings 32 grille onto my 30 roadster, is there a Repro part that will bolt straight on or will they all need some modification? Would a genuine 32 grille fit? There are lots of threads on this but I couldn’t find a definitive answer.
    Thanks for your help in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It depends on your radiator stock or not and should fit right on. Although you may want to trim the bottom sides to make sure the radiator and shell is level and not running up hill or higher then your cowl.

LOU WELLS and Just Gary like this.
  3. RayMoray

RayMoray

Yes my radiator is stock, of the Repro models which one is the go to version?

4. It's a bolt on. Put one on my 30 closed cab pick up

5. flatford39

flatford39

It's not a bolt on at all unless you are using a 32 commercial shell. The passenger car shell if you are still using the model A radiator with the top inlet will have to modified. Or you move the inlet neck on the Model A radiator to match up with the opening in the 32 shell. That's what I did.

Of course none of this means shit if you aren't using the top inlet A radiator.

A 2 B and WTF really like this.
  6. You mean Model A's didn't come from the factory with Deuce shells????

7. jimpopper

jimpopper

Rarest of rare factory option. Use of the time machine was expensive even back then.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  8. WTF really

WTF really

Just did it today. Got this shell right here on the H.A.M.B. mine is a 30 roadster. 20200229_161738.jpg 20200229_161724.jpg 20200229_161717.jpg

9. The filer neck on the stock '30 radiator is further back and it will have to be moved. An alternative is to relocate the filler neck under the hood and remove the one on the top of the Model A radiator. Once the cap is under the hood you can use a pressure cap, 4 psi is you have a stock Model A radiator. Now you can either used a filled '32 grill or attach a dummy cap and bezel to a stock '32 shell (that is what I did on my AVATAR). You will also have to modify the attachment for the hinge. The stock Model A uses a rod and the stock '32 uses a formed sheet metal piece.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS, A 2 B and flatford39 like this.
  10. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

This modification was probably done as early as 1932.
    The backside dimensions are the same for a '30/'31 and a '32 rad shell. Here is a pic of what Charlie and flatford39 describe about the filler. This one was done in the late 50's. I have used a Brookville and it fit perfectly using the 50's flathead rad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  11. RayMoray

RayMoray

Thanks, so if I went for a United Pacific 32 commercial grille shell it would bolt straight on and line up with my standard top fill model a rad? That’s the easiest route I think.

12. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Still move the top fill.....

13. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Oh, commercial....you sure that still doesn't need modified?

14. My radiator was modified for pressure cap.

15. mj40's

mj40's

The fit on my lower radiator shield is driving me nuts. I wasn't the one to install it but as you can see it is 3/4" off to the right. How do I fix it? 32 Ford_0029.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. Panel alignment is usually a case of just loosen the bolts, realign the part and re tighten everything. If the bolt holes are too small to give you the play you need, you can elongate them a bit ( i dont advise that in a area you will see them as can look messy).
    Cheers,
    Josh

Just Gary and WTF really like this.
  17. WTF really

WTF really

Might be the tabs on the radiator bent. It has 4 places to bolt to the radiator maybe you could bend them tabs with bolts loose.

18. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

19. Or redrill tabs

WTF really likes this.
  20. You can't do that, it'll look like crap!

21. flatford39

flatford39

Not sure what a "United Pacific 32" commercial shell is but the original commercial shells did but you had to cut the bottoms to fit.

The commercial shells don't look as nice as the passenger car shells in my opinion but a lot of guys did do that in the day.