Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bird Houses

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ron Funkhouser, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Just wondering if anyone builds or collects bird houses? Or maybe have seen a cool one. I've built a few. It's fun to watch mother nature add the final touches to it. So am I the only one that does this? Same bird house, but a few years apart. But the birds still like it. Ron..... 394.jpg 395.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Ron, that's very creative

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. Ron
    That so great. I like it.
    Funny thing is I was just trying to convince my bil to start building them. I do horse shoe art and want to go to the flea market to sell them. I want him to do bird houses and go with me now I will show him yours. So ironic.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

4. noboD

noboD

I have about 2 dozen bluebird houses around the property. None as cool as these. I can buy plain ones from an Amish guy for $6, can't buy wood for that.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My birds are homeless, living out in the streets.....

6. Road Racer

Road Racer

We have a few bird houses, but they seem to like to build their own nests. We have a Hummingbird mom with two kids currently, they look like they will be ready to fly any day.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm kind of a bird nerd....and by kind of I mean extreme. I have houses all pver my property. All built by me. None like yours but built with the purpose of blending in. Nice work!

8. Built homes for Blue Birds, Owls, flying squirrels, bats and some assorted feeders. When I moved in years ago the place was kind of sparse in the wildlife department. It’s an animal/bird Mecca right now.

9. Any pics of these bird houses.
    We have barn swallows around here

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Owl house.jpg Owl house 2.jpg
    Here's my Screech owl house in my back yard. Pics from last spring.

11. That's cool Pete

12. Barn swallows build nests under protected eaves, in old buildings and barns. You might be able to build a shelf to make it easier to build on.

13. That is cool. The barred owls passed on the box I made and the gray squirrels took it over. I did have some flying squirrels nest in a box I made from plans off the internet. My patch of woods has a bunch of dead and hollowed out trees that I leave standing just for the critters.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I built a Barred Owl box for the cabin up north but there's so much suitable habitat that it's been empty for the 4 years it's been up...

15. I think the swallows have it covered well.
    I would like to build a Martin house I like watching them dive bomb mosquitoes in the evening.

Ron Funkhouser and wraymen like this.
  16. ^I thought you were asking about building one for the Barn swallows. LOL

17. Sorry I was watching them and typing.
    They are in the roof of an old converted barn across the road from me.
    We have seen a big influx of birds this week, lots of blue Jays, cardinals, and some woodpeckers so far. We have about 6 hummingbird feeders that go out a little later in the year. We dont put out seed but all the leftover cornbread and biscuits go out daily. Thank you for offering.

[​IMG]

18. BIRD BIRD , BIRD IS THE WORD. I never thought you HAMB'ers were into birds, and bird houses. 014.jpg 015.jpg 725.jpg I'm glad I started this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing. I just have fun building stuff. But the birds do seem to like them too. So here's another one. Keep them coming. Ron........

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

@Ron Funkhouser I've been a serious birder since about age 10. Hell...the license plate on my daily is BIRDERS and it's on a SuBIRDan. It's always nice to get out, go for a drive and see cars and birds!

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Seeing that birdhouse with the old tag on it for a roof makes me cringe! A few years ago, we went to a flea market, lots of home made crafts and such there. There was this one guy, I bet he had 50 or 100 little birdhouses, every one had a tag for a roof. Didn't bother me too much to start with, until I got to looking at the dates on some of them........he had plates from the 60's all the way back to the 30's, almost all of them were pretty rust free! No telling how much money he could have gotten selling the old tags, all of them could have probably been used as YOM, but no, he cut and bent and put holes in them, making them almost worthless! I doubt he had a clue how much they were worth, just figured they were old metal.

21. noboD

noboD

I started my grandson out early, maybe 6. He is now 14 and corrects me often on proper names.

22. It's about time to put up the Martin house my bil bought last year. We are hoping to get them to move in. Lots of mosquitos for them around here

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

You have me wanting to start another project...I might have some upcoming spare time, ya know. :rolleyes:

Ron Funkhouser and harley jim like this.
  24. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's mine auto related ,

25. Bat house on the back of my shed.
    68D35B47-1777-4810-B33B-12325D6352D1.jpeg

26. ..................So, that shed is known as the "Bat Cave"?:D;)

wraymen and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. I want to build a bat house and put it in the trees behind my shop

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Bil got the Martin house up. Now he needs to paint the pole[​IMG][​IMG]