Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OK, 'splain this to me...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotta56forme, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Something that has been mysterious to me over the years (and I've been too self-conscious to ask) is I occasionally witness someone, usually at a car show, etc... that when they are parking their car/truck they will rev it up, to say 1500-2000ish rpm, before turning their vehicle off. My powers of observation and imagination have yet to come up with a reasoning for this. Is it just ego to announce their arrival, or is there a practical reason for this habit that I've overlooked? :confused:

Signed,

Stymied in Seattle

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Learned it from my Dad, just something your supposed to do !!!

3. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Yep me too.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you have a motor that runs rich at low speeds sometimes to rev it up and then idle back down - but, if good breathing motor just adding fuel that will not get burned helps nothing - except a statement that you have arrived

5. Man some people got real shit to worry about

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Tinea pedis......?

7. If you have an engine that likes to run in the upper enchilada but fouls plugs down low, this practice helps clear the plugs so it's easier to start when it's time to leave.

8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Same reason some car's whine'd it up at the track, Clean out the low speed driving "load-up" with heavy cam/comp. Parking at show.... But it is played out a lil excessive by guy's with stock crate motor's etc.

gotta56forme likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Maybe they just want to let people hear it. Don't most hot rodders like to hear an engine? I do.

10. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Because we can. It's written in our DNA or something.

11. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

the "Italian Tune". Veni Vidi Visi!

swade41, gotta56forme and williebill like this.
  12. jaracer

jaracer

My great Uncle used to do this all the time. He had always had stick shift cars and got a 59 Ford with an automatic. Now long after he got it he did his regular rev up before shut down and ran it through the back wall of the garage.

13. I was taught by my grandfather to do this with my 33 as its high compression motor runs rich at idle and can at times, depending on the weather, diesel after you hit the key so blipping the throttle clears out in buildup while putting to park and fully shut down.

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

15. Country Joe

Country Joe

Same thing happens with Harleys at red lights. They keep cracking the throttle til the light turns green. I don't mind....I like the sound.

gotta56forme likes this.
  16. My father used to do that in his cars in the 1950's. He said that was to put a little charge back into the battery..

Boneyard51, clem, Slopok and 2 others like this.
  17. I thought that helped the light turn quicker.
    I love to hear my flowmasters rack off a couple notes before I shut her down.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Boneyard51 and gotta56forme like this.
  18. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

If you had a cam lot of duration and overlap it might run rich in the idle circuit, and the points ignition system didn't burn off the fuel like the new multi spark ignition system.

Big Block owners that do this :D:D:D

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I thought the idea was to insure that the cylinders got filled up with fresh fuel and air mixture so the engine was easier to start next time.

I always thought it was a load of Malarkey though.

gotta56forme and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I need all the help I can to get the motor started when I want to leave. If I shut off the motor when warm, the gas boils out of the carb and floods the motor. If the plugs are fowled when I shut it off, it will be just that much harder to start. I do not have a large cam, just poorly adjusted carburetors and dirty points.

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

OUCH !!!! :D:D:D But you have to give gota56forme credit . If that is all he has to worry about , then he must be doing something right. :) I could use some of that .

22. Maybe these car show guys who do this just want to exercise one foot before they sit their ass in a lawn chair for 4 hours.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think all of us older guys heard the "clear it out" before you shut it off thing years ago.
    I'd say that a good portion now are more in the "look at me, I'm here" mode now though.
    I don't mind guys doing that and am probably as guilty as the next guy. What bugs the crap out of me is the guy with open headers who has to fire his car up and gun the engine several times every half hour on the half hour do draw the mouthbreathers over to it to gawk and listen to his story. Usually on a car that a lot of us walk pass without more than a second glance.

24. I guess there are many reasons for it getting started. I heard that it was to sling oil up into the engine after idling. Maybe before the days of efficient oil systems.

gotta56forme likes this.
  25. steeltappet

steeltappet
    from PA

I thought it was to strike fear into the hearts of those with lesser motors.

26. birdman1

birdman1

Old wives tale , similar to the one about running the engine to warm the oil up to help get the sludge out when draining oil.

Scumdog and gotta56forme like this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Revving an engine prior to shut down indicates someone is afflicted with the small penis syndrome. A very common affliction in the hot rod community.

28. clem

clem

Funny, my wife was just asking me why our neighbour always does this with his Lamborghini’s.
    I said something about the good for the engine.
    She said something about making a statement that he had just arrived.

Fordors and gotta56forme like this.
  29. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Seems most really don't understand the way things work..!

I agree with the..."my dad did it".
    BUT, I don't.

Mike

30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I heard it was to prevent the blinker fluid from jelling. Or maybe it was to get the right harmonics for the muffler bearings.