Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Engine paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustomline54, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Hey guys! Im getting ready to paint my engine soon & had a question. I've searched the web but wanted to see here.
    I've read a lot people painted their engines w/ all sorts of different things, namely rattle cans like rustoleum, krylon etc. for unique colors & saying "it holds up great".

I want to match the engine color with the car & ordered this from an auto paint supplier where they take the car color code & put it in a spray can.

Do I need high temp primer before the factory color basecoat goes on or would regular auto primer (pictured) I got with the paint be ok?...

I've read people use epoxy or self etch primer, but wanted feedback. Figured if rustoleum have good results this should be fine, but you never know!
    20200227_213110.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Never thought about it. My self and friends have always shot the high temp paint directly to the block with no primer. Never had it peel or cook off or chip.

clem likes this.
  3. AMC360

AMC360
    from Canada

You can use regular body paint on an engine. Just make sure block is clean and then primer it first with a good primer then paint what ever colour you want. I painted a flathead copper gold like this.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I used Duplicolor engine paint on my 355 4 years ago and its still on there, no primer. Just make sure the surfaces are squeaky clean. I used a degreaser, then hot soapy water and a stiff nylon brush.

Kustomline54 likes this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Epoxy first then color.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I've done fine with normal acrylic enamel (single stage paint) over bare cast iron, no primer.

When the paint chips or discolors, I think it looks more natural on an engine if you don't see primer where the paint defect is.

I don't know about the basecoat thing, though....that looks iffy.

7. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I have never had any luck putting anything over Rust-Oleum primer except more Rust-Oleum.

That said, I never use primer on an engine block when using engine paint or catalyzed acrylic enamel.

Kustomline54 likes this.
  8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20190928_190332.jpg
    I painted my 8 and the gearbox (both cast iron) after scrubbing both throughly with carburetor cleaner and a wire brush.
    The paint is just regular off the shelf stuff from Walmart, picked for color and finish. I let it set cold for a couple days before running the engine. So far it's held up really well, any oil or other black gunk cleans off with dish soap. Remember the only caveat is you can't use solvent cleaners else the paint will all wash off.
    This is a modest budget option for sure; if you want to pop the hood for the clipboards to inspect then something oil based would be better.

Phil

Kustomline54 likes this.
  9. I always use Seymour engine paint. Comes in all engine colors needs no primer. Go’s on nice with light coats no runs. Finish with a wet coat. Just be sure to clean well with a good cleaner/ degreaser. I use Prep-sol and wire bush. I buy the paint and cleaner at a local parts house called Levine,s in Connecticut.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

10. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did all that and then let the engine sit long enough that it started turning orange. What would work to clean that off?

11. I am not a color match guy as a rule. I like the idea though.

I painted the Timex 355 with Dulplicolor rattle can off the shelf in the hardware store. My block was hot tanked still had some paint sticking to it, I hit it hard with a scrub brush to knock the loose paint off, then primer (same brand) and paint. That was in 1997, its been power washed a time or two and in several different cars and its still painted.

Kustomline54 likes this.
  12. Wire brush and wipe it down with prep sol an hour before painting!

Just Gary and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks very much for the information. I guess 5 weeks was too long.

14. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't speak to the question about the primer but have used that companies paint before and they have a good product.

15. Fresh rebuild or cleaning up an old engine?

16. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Freshening up the engine. Took the heads/intake off already had them hot tanked & decked. I've scrubbed the brushed the block thoroughly. Top of pistons cleaned etc...

17. Reason for the question was a fresh build has higher than normal cyl head temps.
    And it’s probably gonna cook any paint you use on the exhaust side.

Kustomline54 likes this.
  18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've used rattle can, single stage and base/clear with flake.
    If I get failure its around the exhaust ports, But thats minimal.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. I even cleaned my motor with easy off oven cleaner and a wire brush once. Clean it until you think its clean, then do it 3 more times. Ive used primer, etch primer and once just shot a base of BBQ paint then rattle canned over it.

Far from rocket surgery.

Kustomline54 likes this.
  19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Just about any kind of paint will hold up, except lacquer. Catalyzed is always better, but even uncatalyzed acrylic enamel looks good, and holds up. I've used Imron, Centari, BC/CC, Single stage urethane, even HOK Candy and pearls on engines.

Just Gary, Pats55 and Kustomline54 like this.
  20. Boden

Boden

Car paint. Just get some paint that’s the same as ur car and spray it onto the block. When we get those motors into work that paint doesn’t come off no matter what. The way to go

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Kustomline54 likes this.
  21. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've never had a problem when I used weld through primer. That stuff likes high temps. I've had it flake off when I haven't though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kustomline54 likes this.
  22. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Metal prep

lonejacklarry likes this.
  23. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Quality metal prep's will dissolve the surface rust and degrease the surface. When you use a metal prep that requires a water rinse you can sit and watch it re-rust. Use denatured alcohol instead. My prep does not require a water rinse and will leave a zinc phosphate film on the surface so it can sit for months in doors without it re-rusting

Kustomline54 likes this.