Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the Speed Shop that said it all for you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Dec 27, 2011.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too many to list in SoCal when I could finally afford to buy anything. Mostly bought used stuff from Louie Shell in Culver City. I looked at Joe Reath's used equipment too ...couldn't help it. It was right in front of you when you walked in the door. Bought good stuff from Tom Lieb before he was SCAT.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Radkes was an institution!

enloe likes this.
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I don't remember if I posted to this thread or not; it's only been since 2011. But, it would have to start out with Jim Green's Performance Center, in Lynnwood, Washington (later he moved it to Monroe, Washington, then closed the business, and he passed away in 2019). Ya'll know Jim Green, of Green Elephant Funny Car fame. He had EVERYTHING in the store and machine shop, and even had his own area for building cars/trucks/race cars in. The building had been a firehouse at one time. He had complete engines in the aisles; everything from your garden variety SBC to Ford SOHC , that's right, CAMMERS, and there were several of those. In Everett, Washington was Pacific Speed and Al Van Dykes store, Evergreen Speed; he had a lot of stuff crammed in a fairly small store, and knew where everything was. For a while, we had a Super Shops store in Lynnwood also, along with a Service Center on 85th in Seattle.Mike Moody, who used to work for Jim Green, and for Service Center, and has also passed on, had a small store in Everett, Washington. All these speed shops are gone now, thanks to the internet and places like Summit and JEG's. There's just something about being able to look at, touch, and ask questions about something in a store and not have to deal with something in a catalog or on the net. Too bad that way of doing business is probably forever gone. Good while it lasted. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and dirty old man like this.
  4. mickeyc

mickeyc

Jakes Speed Equipment. Downtown New Orleans
    on Iberville Street. Back in the day Jakes was the
    only game in town to my knowledge. Really the
    only place needed. Mr. Jake, (I believe his name was
    was John Howard) was friends with and indeed sponsored many racers both local independent and
    pros as well. It might be just a little break on parts
    or larger involvement. He was a racers and hotrodders
    friend. I myself still have many items bought from Jakes
    by others as well as me. There are many old race cars
    and hot rods stashed here abouts that are equiped with parts supplied by Jakes. Of course Jakes is gone but
    there is one well stocked speed shop not to far away
    in the town of ticfaw Louisiana. Dont laugh it really
    is the burgs proper name! This shop is an unassuming
    wood frame building just off I 59 about 50 miles from
    New Orleans. The shop is Clausens Speed Shop. They
    are well known to circle track racers and carry a lot of
    oval race parts. The shop carries an extensive general
    performance and hot rod inventory as well. They have
    an elaborate web site and ship items daily. Check them out you may be surprised. I visited the shop and liked
    it a lot.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. exterminator

exterminator

Super Shops, San Bernardino, CA

6. Karl & Veda Orr
    [​IMG]

7. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

In the late ‘70’s I worked at 10,000 Auto Parts. It was a lot like the speed shops in vintage photos, crammed full of parts, wheels, tires and all of the big name speed equipment of the day. The street scene was really strong at the time so there was always a bunch of regulars and bench racing at the counter. MAS was another local speed shop which always had a good inventory due to a thriving mail order business. On the far side of town was Smith Auto and for a brief time Racers Exchange. I rarely used them primarily because of the distance from home.

8. pitalplace

pitalplace

Bandimere had a speed shop in Denver that I got to go to several times. It was a great trip from central Nebraska to get to go there. I know they still have the drag strip but google does not bring up the store. Later in life I was a Jefferson County Deputy and was at the race way several times.

9. Chev38

Chev38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exhaust Specialties on Rainier and King St Seattle WA
    Schuck's Auto on 7th and Bell St Seattle WA

10. Jimmy

Jimmy

I used to go to Pfeiffers on State Street in Schenectady, NY.

11. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

When I was still riding a bicycle it was Dave's Home of Chrome in Compton, CA. next to Sears and down the street from Bill Hines shop on Long Beach Blvd. Not really any speed equipment there but enough automotive bling to draw in a young enthusiast. I used to buy the plastic laminated tear drop knobs and put them on the shifters of my 10 speed bike. Probably my first hot-rodding efforts. I had to grind down the levers to get the tear drops to go on :)
    Once I had my first car running at 16 it was Service Center in Compton on Atlantic. Was the owner's name Sheldon?
    I also did some business with Speed-O-Motive. Engine machine work...as a 16 year old.

12. BLAIR'S, Pasadena, Ca.

13. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

In the mid south in 60-70s Honest Charlie's was the place to be

enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. For me it was places like Honest Performance in Renton Washington, there was even a Super Shops in Auburn Washington . For a long time My father and I would get the parts we needed for our cars at Honest Performance ( shout out to Josh Coleman). And they’ve never let us down.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Portland Oregon
    speed shop Radke's Auto Parts, Portland, OR 1.jpg

After Radke's closed we pulled the signs down for a car museum in Vancouver WA
    0 Radke sign 1.jpg

0 Radke sign 2.jpg

16. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Radkes Portland Oregon.

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

you know it

18. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

Super Shops. Mostly because the impertinent, pimple faced punks behind the counter lacked any kind of real performance automotive knowledge. And because they never wanted to stand behind any of the "upgrades" they were intent upon selling to you.

There was a really old mom and pop auto parts store in Lomita, Ca for decades. Douglas Auto & Machine. Had a machine shop in the back with a grizzled old machinist that really knew his stuff. Auto parts store was out front. They also sold performance goodies. I gave them all my business, once I began to understand how much knowledge that shop employed...and once I got past their caustic humor. Machinist was first rate. The guys behind the counter...sarcastic as all hell, but their suggestions clearly came from decades spent at race tracks. I miss that old shop. I left California in the very early 1990's. When I came back to visit friends a couple of years later, the place was boarded up.

One of the best rebuilt motors I ever laid hands on came out of that machine shop. Still have it in the corner of my garage. Took me some 150,000 miles and still ran well/didn't smoke when I pulled it.