Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 flathead lost bolt..help!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Goodguy65, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

My arthritic fingers enabled me to lose a SS torx head fuel stand bolt down the intake fuel stand hole in my 36 Ford 5W..
    I have removed the entire intake assembly as well as the oil pan ( with the engine still in the car ).
    I have inspected the entire crank assembly for a hidden pocket where this bolt might be hiding.
    The 2 crankcase breather holes on either side of the fuel pump rod bushing are just the right size for the bolt to enter.
    Question: is there a space somewhere at the back of the block that this mysterious bolt could be hiding?
    Embarrassed and needing help.
    Cheers

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Check with the guys on the fordbarn.com web site.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Did you have the proper breather tube in it when you dropped the bolt? If yes it should have gone straight into that hole. Makes it easier to search for.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Shouldn't be embarrassed......that happens. I know it's frustrating as hell when your hands don't work like they used to. Good luck on your search.

5. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

The entire unit had been removed as I had just finished shortening the fuel pump push rod ( using electric fuel pump ) and wanted to check the threads on the bolt against the aluminum intake threaded bolt hole.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love SS bolts, and I hate them if they are good quality stainless cause the magnet tool is of no help! Did it have a washer on it too?

alanp561 likes this.
  7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I answered this question on the other site, but I'll answer it here also. Some stainless steel, 302, 303, 304, and 309 can become slightly magnetic when cold worked or annealed. 403 to 446 ss is magnetic at all times. Most cheap stainless bolts are 303 so you might get lucky if a magnet will work.

8. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

I tested the magnet on the lone SS bolt I have left and it was not magnetic at all..the washer is still on the bench currently

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

I wish I knew where it was or I could seem some glimmer of it...I have tried flexible " claw style" pick ups, mirrors etc all to no avail...

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

couldnt go far, have you pulled off the tin windage things that clip on the main oil line?

Boden likes this.
  11. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

I have not pulled them off but did run a tool under each side of them..nothing.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Through a casting oil drainback hole and hung up on top of the cam?

13. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

perhaps but how would you know? I have turned the crank manually and all seems quiet and turning with just the usual resistance.nothing has fallen out or down since I took the pan off.

14. alchemy

alchemy

Covered with oil in the pan?

15. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

remarkably the pan is quite clean so no....minimal amount of sludge for a non filtered flatty..

16. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

maybe it never fell in the hole ....just a thought ....after taking it all apart my luck it would be on the floor

chiro, jimmysweden, clem and 3 others like this.
  17. koolbeans

koolbeans

For looking down holes, oil galleys other cracks and crevices, you might ask your local good engine shop and they might have a flexible bore scope that you might borrow to do a look see. (It's kinda like a colonoscopy in miniature.)

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boden and whtbaron like this.
  18. Slopok

Slopok

I once looked everywhere all day long, when I took off my pants that night it fell out of my cuff!:rolleyes:

19. I would also recommend a See Snake before taking everything apart.

20. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

was thinking of that actually..I might just buy one that hooks to your cell phone...

21. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

There’s gotta be a hundred possible responses to this.

Jibs, koolbeans and Slopok like this.
  22. Slopok

Slopok

Oh no, look where this is headed, BLUSHU just said See Snake!:eek:

23. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

I soon as I saw "colonoscopy in miniature" I was out.

belair likes this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I bought a borescope self contained out of HF. $80.

lothiandon1940 and belair like this.
  25. 6sally6

6sally6

Some times.............it's quicker to just pull it ALL apart than to "try & buy" everything under the sun to help find the lost item. (After all this IS just a hobby).
    I'm with you though........I absolutely HATE when I do stuff like this! ggrrrr
    6sally6

26. How about using compressed air from a few different directions to try and knock it loose?
    Might be kinda messy, but....

jimmysweden likes this.
  27. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

If your air blow gun tip unscrews, add an adapter to 1/8" flare and use a couple feet of 1/8" copper tubing put on it. You can bend the soft copper in many ways in the holes to burst some air around.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Goodguy65

Goodguy65

the compressed air isn't a bad idea..if I have time tonight I will try that before ordering the scope.

If I pull apart the motor I might as well rebuild it with a bunch of speed goodies...hmmmm

jmkporsche likes this.
  29. Magnet on a stick and chase it til it sticks, then stick it in the right place and tighten it up and you'll be set. JW

30. Rckt98

Rckt98

It always amuses me when people jump onto the end of a thread with a suggestion but haven't bothered to read the whole thread. It is clear early in the thread that the bolt is stainless and non magnetic.