Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Had this conversation yet??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CA. 280, Feb 25, 2020.

1. evintho

evintho

I want to know, where is the swap meet that's 40 miles from NAPA?

nochop likes this.
  2. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

If the new suv gets hit by a semi it would get trashed. Playing the bigger car theory is not good reasoning.

The more important factor, to me, is being able to drive with other traffic as far as speed and braking. A stock model A is not freeway material to me. Are old cars less safe in a wreck? Probably yes. Every drive is a risk and treating it as such is the best accident prevention.

Hnstray and patmanta like this.
  3. As has been said previously, life is all about the choices we make, I have made good ones and bad but I love to drive old cars that many people today consider unsafe and would love to legislate them into obscurity.

I have logged literately thousands of miles behind the wheel of a car or truck with a flat windshield, original & hot rods and I have also been involved in a couple of accidents but that hasn't deterred me one bit.

The trip to the local grocery store or cross country is always enhanced & more enjoyable in the old car of your choice, besides when the Good Lord decides your time on earth is up it doesn't matter wither your driving a car with ever safety feature known to man or driving that 1931 roadster pickup, that's something we don't have any control over.

The point is get out there and live your life to the fullest and have fun with your old cars. HRP

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  4. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Time to sell the RPU, if you're afraid to drive it...

Dino 64 and raven like this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Safety issues aside...

I won't even listen to my friends who are my age when they start a statement with...
    "You KNOW..."
    And especially if it ends with...
    "you're gonna die."
    And least of all, from a smart-aleck 20 year old.
    Jeez.
    Shut up.
    LOL

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

raven, Thor1, 427 sleeper and 4 others like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

427 sleeper and hotrodjack33 like this.
  7. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

"Some guys they just give up living
    And start dying little by little, piece by piece,
    Some guys come home from work and wash up,
    And go racin' in the street"
    Mic drop.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. mickeyc

mickeyc

I do believe in at least seat belts in any vehicle regardlessof vintage. Thats just plain common sense. I have had friends killed in boating accidents, car wrecks,plane
    crashes, construction mishaps and working at home as well. I would not drive my stock model a on the interstate. I have driven my olds powered 40 coupe
    many times on the I 10. Of course I know my daily
    driver is safer but I refuse to live in fear of what could
    happen. I exercise due diligence in all endeavors as much as possible. Diligence as well as considerable luck
    helped me endure and walk away from 40+ years as a
    high rise Iron worker. Last year I busted my ass on my Harley. No ones fault but my own. Grabbed to much front break and was tardy with the foot brake! Made
    me consider my advancing age.

figure8, 41 GMC K-18 and Hnstray like this.
  10. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

My reply would have been, "Well you see son, that's why you're supposed to pay attention to what the fuck you're doing when you are behind the wheel. No fiddle fucking around with your phone or what ever. Drive like the other guy is trying to kill you. I practice accident avoidance as opposed to accident survival".
    If you want to play it safe your whole life you're never going to get to experience things, you're never going to have fun and you're never going to get laid!

1929rats, Paul, joeycarpunk and 13 others like this.
  11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got lap belts in the 38 and the Stude has shoulder belts in the front, lap belts behind. I've been to both coasts on a motorcycle (integrated an Iron Butt in the east coast trip) , rolled a pickup when I was 15 (no one had seat belts in the 50's) and the closest I have come to death has been in my own bed room, my grand kids don't ask questions about safety, although my grandson wanted to know if the Studebaker would have a real back seat, not just a cramped place to sit like the 38 Coupe:)

Hnstray likes this.
  12. That kind of attitude is why all the kids sit in the house and play video games today

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

13. Safer than a motorcycle

31Vicky with a hemi and patmanta like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I made a bad decision once Danny but I just don't recall what it was.
    Getting old does have its benefits!

figure8, mad mikey and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drive defensively...and respect the road.

I've got a friend whose wife is wheelchair bound with very little motor function as a result of the State Highway Department mowing along the side of the highway she was driving on. Something struck the chains that hang from the mower enclosure, broke one loose and flung it threw the window of her car embedding in her head. Seat belt on, yes. In a modern cocoon, yes... you never know Tragic, very. Reason to drive alert and respectfully, yes. Reason to hang up the keys, no

16. trollst

trollst

Shoulda told him "yup, I'm going in that, and you're coming with me" It would be the last time he was a smart alec.

427 sleeper likes this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I won't listen to a 20 year old with zero life experience. My 21 year old Grand Daughter tried that with me. I think she got half of a word out of her mouth then realized she had nothing to say...

427 sleeper likes this.
  18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

So all the sudden we listen to 20 year olds, punk kids!

raven, 427 sleeper and mad mikey like this.
  19. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I was 20 once...….no one listened to me then either.

20. squirrel

squirrel

When I was 20, I knew everything, too. I've forgotten most of it since then.

21. Dude.
    We're born and we die. In between ya gotta live. The guy hit by a tree sitting on his couch would have been better off drag racing.

Dino 64, raven, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  22. For me, I wanted a car that is much faster than the average modern car, but way less safe. I feel pretty good about what I've achieved.

In all seriousness, I really do want to put a 4 point bar in my 55 so I can mount some harnesses. Then there's the part of my brain that says any front end collision heavy enough to bring the harnesses into the equation is probably going to launch the steering column into my chest anyway. Plus the way these cars fold up like a cheap beer can in an accident with a modern car do I really want the added complexity of a harness if I need to get out of the car quickly? Should I just stick to a simple lap belt? As I get older, I think more and more about this and still haven't been able to come to a consensus with myself. I'll need something if I plan to run the nostalgia drags at my local track, so I guess that kinds makes the decision easy.

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Or motorcycles, bicycles, or go for a walk!

patmanta, mad mikey and Moriarity like this.
  24. Funny,,,when I was 20,,,,,I didn’t worry about getting killed .
    Sure it was a reality,,,but I didn’t give it a second thought .
    That is why young men can fight wars,,,and old men can’t,,,,,well,,,,that and a lack of testosterone ,,,Lol.

I would park the old machine,,,or sell it,,,,,,then sit on the couch.
    You only have a slight chance of dying in the hot rod,,,,100 % chance sitting on the couch !

Oh yes,,,,,our 20 year olds,,,and our middle age veterans never hesitate,,,,they might think about dying,,,but they do not dwell on it !
    Our enemies around the world tremble at the news that our boys are coming,,,that is because they know they will be gone shortly,,,100 % chance of that .
    U. S. A.,,All the way !!!

Tommy

P.s.
    I edited the original word and replaced with gone,,,thought it might be a little easier to take .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  25. 392

Sorry but have to say, try a different kid or move. Look up thread with young guy with autism. Living life. Good stuff.

Hombre likes this.
  26. Yep

27. So tell the grandson, "I don't plan to get in a wreck with 'a large SUV '. I plan to get in a wreck with another old hot rod".
    You might also mention that if the choice is between the RPU and a motorcycle, like a lot of 20-year-olds ride, you prefer the RPU and feel safer in it. (Yea, I know. Old guys ride 'cycles too. It's not just 20-year-olds. But say it that way because you're making a point.)
    Now get out there and drive that RPU while smiling large. No white knuckles. Don't you die but kill a few flying bugs with your goggles while you're at it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

you got your Alpha male your Beta male and then there is the Nota male !

D-Russ, raven, Flathead Dave and 8 others like this.
  29. The indoctrination is strong

F-ONE, dan31, 427 sleeper and 2 others like this.
  30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I had a 20 year old grandson who grew up around me the only question he would ask is "where am I going to sit?"