Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Well, looks like I'm a Rambler man now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KandN Kustoms, Jan 1, 2020.

1. nickleone

nickleone

My 62 SW has 15 in Ansen sprint style wheels with 205-15 radials. My avatar is the car.

Nick

2. nickleone

nickleone

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

DisconectD the inlet hose from the ruel pump, set your compressor out let pressure to 10 to 15 psi, remove the gas cap and blow back thru the line toward the tank. Most sustems have a scintered brass filter on the pick up. The air will clean it out. Then add a filter in line near the tank. Also add an inline between the pump and the carb. Many fuel pumps have a brass screen between the suction side and the pressure side of the body. Check there for how clean it is. Then do a flow test. Disconnect the outlet line and direct the flow into a clear soda bottle. Pull the coil wire and have an assistant crank the starter. Count the pulses of gas coming from the pump as the engine turns over. 10 to12 pulses should give you between 8 to 10 ounce in the bottle. Less isn't enough to support hard accelleration or moderate cruising speed.

loudbang likes this.
  4. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Hey, thanks for the info!
    I will definitely look into doing that when the weather finally warms up!
    I just may pull it in the garage on Sunday morning and get it up on Jack stands just to check out the underside.
    I'll keep everyone posted!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

amc also had a great inline 6 designed by barney navarro for an indy car. also powered jeeps. came in 199, 232 and 252 (4.0), if i'm not mistaken.

loudbang likes this.
  6. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

199,232,258 I think you mean.
    252 & 282 were Mexican production as I understand.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

want to see Ramblers? - go to current thread: "Sitting and Rotting.....picture thread"

loudbang likes this.
  8. Looks like a fun little car, nothing to get crazy building. Just as you said lower it down a bit, get it running good, and have fun. I would not do any paint work, just clean up what is there. I think some Supremes with skinny whites would look good on it with lowered susp. Something like a 205/75R15 tire all around. A bigger tire might be tempting, but you will also kill some gear ratio if you go too much taller than stock.

KandN Kustoms and loudbang like this.
  9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'm confused. Factory stock it came with 14" wheels, which that's probably what's on it now. What would lowering the suspension putting taller tires on it accomplish?

10. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

It would fill out the wheel wells a little and lowering a little would tuck the tires up and exaggerate it even more with out sacrificing to much clearance.

loudbang likes this.
  11. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Well didn't get around to bringing it in the garage today.
    Had to some snow and ice to deal with Instead.
    Maybe next week, works supposed to slow down a little so I may have some more spare time. 20200111_173842.jpeg

12. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

Looks like the ends of your bumpers are not level, my 64 330's are the same way. Maybe some shims could level them out

loudbang likes this.
  13. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Attached Files:

• fm.jpeg
      fm.jpeg
      File size:
      76.7 KB
      Views:
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Yeah I've got to check out the radio situation, it doesn't have any power to it anymore.

loudbang likes this.
  15. SNS FAB

SNS FAB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

vintage6T is correct. I have a '62 American with aluminum 5 spokes on it and had to put longer steering stops on it to keep the tie rod ends from hitting the wheels. Even though they are 15"s, the thick casting take up some of the needed room to clear the tie rod ends at full lock.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Ok guys, we FINALLY had a pretty decent day, so I pulled the Rambler in the garage and got her up on some jackstands.
    And started poking around with my little pointy thing! And as I suspected, it wasn't pretty!
    I knew about the floors needing patched but, I wasn't expecting all the rust at the rear of the car!
    Looks like the subframe where the rear of the leafsping attaches plus the WHOLE rear panel!
    Took some pictures to share with the class.
    20200223_123003.jpeg 20200223_123113.jpeg 20200223_123124.jpeg 20200223_123134.jpeg 20200223_123149.jpeg 20200223_123231.jpeg 20200223_123242.jpeg 20200223_123317.jpeg 20200223_123336.jpeg 20200223_123351.jpeg 20200223_123414.jpeg 20200223_123423.jpeg

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Now, as bad as that is, it isn't what I'm worried about.
    While I had it up on the air I thought I'd mess around with the carb, fuel problem I have.
    If you remember, I was having trouble with it falling on it's face when I accelerate.
    So, like it was suggested, I took off the fuel line before the pump and took off the gas cap and blew some compressed air into it to clear the pickup screen in the tank.
    Next I took off the inline filter to clean it out and, it was nasty and full of crap!
    So I blew that out too!
    Got everything back together and it started right up!
    I repeated that procedure at least 4 more times and the gas got a little better each time. Still a little bit of crud, but not nearly as bad.
    Each time it started up just fine but, I still had a major dead spot while accelerating. 20200223_143030.jpeg 20200223_153820.jpeg 20200223_153805.jpeg

18. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Actually the problem seemed to get worse.
    It would start fine but, as soon as I gave it some gas it would just sound like it was sucking air and want to die.
    Couldn't even "feather" it to get it to go.
    So I remembered someone suggesting that I remove the fuel line before the carb and have a helper turn it over while I held the line in a cup.
    So after 10 to 12 pulses from the pump I got a hair over 4 ounces of gas.
    And according to the fellow who suggested it (sorry can't remember your name) I should have 8 to 9 ounces.
    20200223_154952.jpeg

19. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

I had a 69 American as a daily driver for a while. Loved that car. Nothing fancy, just a plain simple cool old car. Enjoy it.

loudbang likes this.
  20. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

So I tried messing with the idle screw and, that didn't make any difference.
    So as of right now, my number one priority is to get this thing running right!
    So I'm asking you guys for advice on what I need to do.
    I'm going to try to get a new tank.
    Should I get a new fuel pump too?
    Maybe have the carb rebuilt?
    I'm seriously at a loss here guys. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but I'm determined to get this figured out! (With your help of course)
    Does anyone know where I can get a tank from and also a fuel pump?
    Seems Rambler parts are hard to come by!
    Also, does anyone know what gauge metal I should use to rebuild the rear subframe?
    Thanks for all your help so far, hope to get more from you guys soon!

21. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Forgot to mention that I also found a few little spots of rust in the trunk but, nothing to serious!
    Also, just to clear this up for now, it DOES have 15s on it! The spare is a 14 but, the ones on the car are 15s!
    I know, I'm just as shocked as you! Lol! 20200223_123924.jpeg 20200223_123945.jpeg 20200223_124126.jpeg 20200223_124553.jpeg 20200223_125306.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  22. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Gas tank is a tall order. My 64 needs a tank also. Research I did a while back some people were using first generation Mustang tank. I was going to wait until Spring to remove mine, take measurements then contact gas tank manufacturers to figure out the best fit.
    Filler must be in back.
    Some people were simply using a generic rectangular tank in trunk like racers use for drag cars but I don't like that idea.
    There are different ways to address rust problems. Me, I'd go the simple easy route.
    From inside I'd make patch pieces from aluminum like flashing material. You could make a template cardboard & scissors. I'd go a few inches past rust areas. Transfer template to aluminum, cut it. Then use 1/8th inch drill bit drilling every few inches.
    Clean...apply silicon caulk bead around edge and pop rivet patch in.
    Inside with floor covering you wouldn't see it. Underneath I'd leave as is, you'd just see a few rivets. You could brush then spray undercoat.

23. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

That's not a bad idea!
    O think I'm going to have to just drop it and see how bad it really is. Maybe I can get by with just treating and coating it!
    Sucks because I JUST filled it up! Lol!

24. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

One more quick question for the night.
    How the hell do I check the oil in this thing?!
    Looked all over for a dipstick under the hood but I didn't see any ! Just the tube to fill it!
    Man, these Ramblers are a different breed aren't they?!

loudbang likes this.
  25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You can get one of those 30 buck Mr gasket electric fuel pumps from the national chain parts stores. Hook it up bypassing the stock pump and see if it improves your situation. The other item to check is any air leaks between the carb throttle plate pivot and the intake ports. Start the car and let it idle. Get your propane torch and crack it open a bit. Then pass it by any of the areas where there is a joint between pieces that need a gasket. If there is a vacuum leak it will suck in the propane and the idle will speed up or smoothen out. Do this with the torch unlit, check the bushings for the throttle butterfly pivot on the base of the car body, the carb to manifold connection and the manifold to block at each of the connections to the ports. Also if the car has vacuum wipers or vacuum heater controls check this lines for cracks and leaks. Any of those can cause a stumble by leaning out the mixture of air fuel mix. Then take off the top part of the carburetor. The carb sholud have a step up jet that augments the action of the accelerator pump. This usually has a vertically mounted plunger spring deal that resides near the back of the float chamber. Make sure it moves freely against and with the spring. These usually operate on a vacuum signal from the intake manifold through the carb. The vacuum holds the needle in the jet until vacuum drops by opening the throttle. Then the spring moves the needle letting gas through the enrichment jet.

Have you pulled the spark plugs?? What do they look like??? Google how to read spark plugs.

loudbang likes this.
  26. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Not sure on yours but some cars have the dipstick attached to the oil fill cap

loudbang likes this.
  27. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Yup. That's how you do it on a rambler.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  28. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Well duh!
    Man didn't even think about that!
    Lol!
    You guys are great!

loudbang likes this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That rust is nasty. Looks like time to back half it and put that killer hot rod motor in it.:D:D

indyjps and loudbang like this.
  30. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Man, you don't know how bad I want to!
    But I already have a major project in my shop, and it's a SMALL shop! So no room!
    Besides the wife would KILL me! Lol!

kidcampbell71 likes this.