Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2020 Banger Thread. Happy Groundhog Day***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Dang, Larry
    That is just the purtiest engine!

G Baese and winduptoy like this.
  2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Finished the exhaust.made a straight pipe to see how it would sound.way too loud for me haha.ill put a small glasspack in tomorrow.it performs great with the new carb and header.im happy with it for now till I can get an affordable hi comp head 20200221_171524.jpg 20200221_171507.jpg

3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks ain't nothing if it doesn't run...but thanks... it's sweet if it has both....did you hear, Dirt Drags moving to Pikes Peak Motorway?

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Jet96 like this.
  4. Didn't mean to come across the way it did, Just didn't see that re-pulling the oil pan was a big deal. but as you can see I am not an expert either.....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am interested to see how that pair of 81's perform for you. I have just recently got a hold of a nice pair and a lakes header. All in need is an intake for them. I just need to get one of those nice Geardrive dual intakes. I am excited for the Dirt drags to have evolved a bit and is growing. I feel it will bring bigger crowds and perhaps more entrants. I am also happy it is a bit closer to home. (sorry every body south of Pueblo.) It will be exciting to see how they do it this year. The Wife and I have rented an RV and are planning on staying at the track.

chryslerfan55 and winduptoy like this.
  6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and winduptoy like this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John,
    The initial impression that I have with the 81's is that they are more matched to the engine. The stock main jets seem to be OK but a little lean on the full throttle operation. It comes with a #71 power valve and I've got some # 70, #69 and #68's on the way to see if that helps....the smaller the number the bigger the jet size. Haven't got to run it much because it keeps snowing and the stupid highway department spreads salt....
    I'll let you know when I get the dialed in.
    I'll be in the bus for the Dirt Drags, staying there. We will have to break out the grill and frosty adult beverages for sure......

chryslerfan55 and Binger like this.
  8. poshdbs

poshdbs

Thank you jim1932 I have modified one of the clamps you sent me. Not perfect but I'm sure it's gonna work! 20200224_123534.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy and jim1932 like this.
  9. F.A.S.T. (Ford "A" Speed Technology) as I understand it, came to the fore from a newsletter put out by Dan Iandola. It's constituree was mostly comprised of Land Speed guys, with occasional Dragsters. When Dan could no longer handle the task of putting out the publication; Jim Brierley took it over. Jim then took it to the next level. Jim ran into health issues; turning the creation of the quarterly newsletter to Ron and Carol Mosher. The Moshers put out the quarterly newsletter that we all enjoyed for these last years . As is every such endeavor it was "A Labor of Love"! While Ron helped the local organizers for the various F.A.S.T. Hillclimbs; Carol put out the magazine (struggling with getting folks to submit articles). So it's now up to us! The F.A.S.T. virus has spread around the World! It'll only stay alive if we keep it alive. Some of the events, mostly Hillclimbs, have ceased. The reasons vary from loss of venues to loss of participation (volunteers, as well as participants)! It's all up to us!

winduptoy and brjnelson like this.
  10. I was talking to some of "The Older Boys" at lunch! It seems that I forgot to mention a couple of things about the genesis of F.A.S.T... First was that Charlie Yappa along with Dan Iandola while producing "Secrets of Speed" (which still exists) came up with the idea of F.A.S.T...Secondly, the late Pat Tobin headed F.A.S.T. as Brierley was editor!

winduptoy likes this.
  11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

12. Jiminy

Jiminy

13. Dan,
    Yes sir eee' that looks good.
    Keep the pics coming on the build

J

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Are you waiting for an iron or aluminum block?

Both :)

kb9jlo likes this.
  15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Well, it looks like this casting is scrap. The next one promises to be better. Hoping for a quicker turn around this time.

:(

16. Hank56

Hank56
    from NC

6E369202-02D2-47BC-BBCC-CC03CA9C46CB.jpeg B56E77FD-0E6E-4A83-8CE4-8E9412271E02.jpeg 1598ED10-D78A-492F-BBD4-99FAEF825F7E.jpeg 17D25571-19C5-4825-BE91-3235141F996D.jpeg I had so much fun last year with my banger powered 26 T/A RPU I decided I needed another banger powered ride...I have just about everything I need to get started on my 28 roadster this weekend...

railcarmover, Mikko_ and Old Dawg like this.
  17. Dan,
    That's the crappers
    But maybe a blessing in disguise.
    In looking at the photos I see what could be an issue in two places.
    The webs for 2 and 4 mains looks pretty narrow opposite the cam side. If you are running 2.5 in bearings you might want more material there up to the top of the inside of the block as you will not be thru bolting this in.
    Second, it looks to me the rear main protrusion out of the back is recessed for the "A" main bearing size. It may not be, but having a thicker wall back there will not hurt in supporting the bearings.
    The Donovan I was working on had a serious thick deck. Ask for more material, every pound there pays dividends.

John

ottoman, Crazydaddyo and Old Dawg like this.
  18. Jiminy

Jiminy