Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'M no longer LOCKED OUT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 22, 2020.

1. My last thread was deleted seemingly because of the title, profanity in the subject line, can't say Oh $hit in the title line, it's not profanity possibility vulgarity., I would appreciate any help or suggestions, all the responses from the other post were lost.

I was in the driveway enjoying a nice sunny day with my daughter & granddaughter wash Brenda's old 57 Shasta camper and while we taking a break I ask Veda to get my cap out of the '32 sedan, she said the door wouldn't open, I figured she didn't know how to open it so Melinda tried and said it wont open, I got up to check it and it was abundantly clear it is locked!

Looking inside the door handle that opens the door is in the down position, apparently one of the springs in the latch broke the last time the door was shut, that was yesterday.

The passenger door is also locked, naturally!

Anyone know if there is a way of removing the key lock mechanism from the passenger door to gain entry or something I have thought of?

you guys know what the first thought is, a broken window but I would like to avoid such a rash remedy to the problem.

I'm going back out and finish washing the old camper and check back in a hour or so. HRP

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    1947knuck, loner2, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  2. Hey Danny, is the windshield latched?

3W JOHN, Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  3. triumph 1

triumph 1

AAA

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3W JOHN and Stogy like this.
  4. Does the floorboard have a section that pops out?

5. Oh yeah, thumb knobs are tight. HRP

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Coat hanger over the top of the window trick?

I think that must have happened to my car at some point, locked without the key. Previous owner had a remedy for that not to happen again.....they took the lock mechanism out of the drivers door, leaving only the latch.

3W JOHN likes this.
  7. Can't finagle the door glass down any at all?

8. Just sell it to me. Or take the hinge pins out. Kids?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Cooon, WB69, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Are you in a small town ? The police/Sheriff dept usually have tools for opening car doors. A big city dept would not have time for this IMO. A locksmith probably can help, no idea what that would cost. What's an easier fix, forcing window down or breaking it, your choice. Sorry, No other ideas.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got one of those lock out kits, bought it at a Love's fuel stop. I've used it a few times, works pretty good. Local cop showed me a few tricks with his, it was longer and better made that mine. Keep it here in the house in case one of mine get locked and the keys are in it...

3W JOHN, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Deuce? I reached in through the cowl vent

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP time to cut another set of keys...and note, that advice just bounced off the side of Stogy's head as I only have one key too...:eek:

3W JOHN, catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I'm sorry about your dilemma, and I know this won't help now, but it might help you or someone else in the future. I think one of the best auto-related inventions is the magnetic spare key box. I have actually used mine when I lost my keys.

3W JOHN, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  14. Mark, I actually thought about try this but I installed new door checks when I put the new interior in, I doubt the door would pull out far enough, I honestly think one of the "S" springs may have broken. HRP

15. The way the latch is designed a slim jim like the Police use will not work, the locking mechanism slide from front to back, not up and down like a conventional rod in modern cars, there is on lock button.

The lock smith is down on the list if all else fails. HRP

16. I would try "palming" the door glass with both hands and try to wiggle it down.

17. Cowl vent is locked down tight. I did access my 32 pickup like this years ago put the vent judt happened to be open. HRP

1947knuck, loner2, nochop and 2 others like this.
  18. That would have worked last year with the drivers side window, it would actually open a inch or so while ridding, but that was before I rebuilt both door window regulators, the new gears are as tight as the proverbial "Dicks Hat Band" :rolleyes: HRP

1947knuck, loner2, nochop and 3 others like this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

Remove the hinge pins.....all the door has to do is move enough to undo the door jam latch.

3W JOHN, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Drive out the hinge pins and remove the door . I know it sounds bad , but I can’t think of another way to unlock it . The doors fit different than a modern car it would me tough to work anything in there to release the door . I did recently buy this nifty pump mini air bag to separate the door carefully to reach into unlock a modern car . Don’t know if it would work but maybe research one see what you think about it .

21. Care to take a wild guess where the door lock key is?

Times up, it's hanging right beside the ignition key on the same key chain.

And your right, I will end up with a spare set and they will be on my everyday key chain, but hindsight is a great teacher.

22. Or maybe they're just getting tired of your posts content ?

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

A vote for hinge pins but before you go that route;
    Try some various keys in the door lock cylinder. The old style cylinders are pretty sloppy and usually pretty easy to open without special pick tools.
    You can take an 8D nail, clamp it in a vice grip, then flatten the nail on a vice or anvil with a ball peen. Then insert the flat nail in the cylinder (using the vice grip as a handle) and start working it.

24. williebill

williebill

How many different keys did Ford use ? Try all the old keys you can find before you break anything.

seb fontana, 3W JOHN, clem and 2 others like this.
  25. Your content is getting old with me. o_O HRP

1947knuck, loner2, OLSKOOL57 and 6 others like this.
  26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd opt for the locksmith. It will take him all of 5 minutes to work the lock and get the door open. Yes they aren't cheap but then it saves you from doing anything silly to your car. And you can consider it the cost of education! ;)

jim snow, Hemi Joel, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  27. That's a thought. HRP

28. Danny

I bought a 55 Chevy in '67. It had no key. The second GM key i tried worked. I also left my Cutlass overnight at Autofair and they needed to move it. One of the other club members key fit and they moved it before I got there.

29. Budget36

Budget36

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. I tried the key for the Ranch Wagon locks and 5 assorted keys that looked like the right type, no luck yet.