Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Chevy Step Van build or do you want to see my Gerstenslager

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by anthony myrick, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Looks good!;)

Hold my drink, see I told you thatl buff out!:rolleyes:

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  2. We cut a bus in half and shortened it
    A chop on this slab sided box would be easier

lothiandon1940 and pcbart like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Touché! Indeed you did! But the bus had separate panels, the truck is one big slab.....

Hey, you’ve done this stuff before, you know what y’all can do. I’ll watch, not gonna try it myself!

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

A bit of a chop and new shoes. Not sure exactly how much was chopped, just applied the precision eyeball. Laid the A pillars back because it would probably be easier than sectioning the top. 3. 57 Chevy stepvan chopped n dropped.jpg

5. Thanks
    I like that

OahuEli likes this.
  6. We discussed a chop. The post would either have to be leaned back of the roof sectioned.
    We could remove the skin above the belt line and chop the inner structure. Then cut the skin to fit

7. Guy just offered me a deal ( swap for a little labor) for a 250 6
    It would be taller but allow for more foot room due to a narrower set up
    One reason we opted out of the caddy was how far up( from the original engine placement) the engine will sit due to almost a 10 inch drop
    Decisions Decisions

We were joking about leaving the distributor loose. A v8 would sit high and far back enough for you to adjust it while cruising
    Students call it RVT
    redneck variable timing

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You could always set the Caddy engine back a foot or so. No problem with driveline length. Or even cooler, find an old Eldorado transaxle and set the engine in the back. Betcha could do wheelies with that sucker. :eek::D

9. Want to use the cargo area
    We thought about doing something crazy like that
    Had a friend with another 350 he didn’t need just come up in the past few minutes
    Too many options. I help a lot of folks fix rides and they always have extra parts laying around
    So far I have traded fixing things for the front and rear suspension, transmission, wheels and some engine options. A 250, 327, 350
    Plus e- brakes and wheels brake pedal assemblies, booster and MC
    Still have less than a grand in everything in that last pic of the van

10. The ElDo option would cost you 18" of elevation in the rear cargo floor area but gain a flat floor up front. May need to add some heavier duty cargo tie downs as well.
    Alternatively a 292 I6 with COE style manifolds using an up draft carb would give you a pretty small foot print up front and plenty of grunt. And you could incorporate the RVT upgrade!

VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  11. spanners

spanners

I reckon a horizontal dual headlight setup would correct some of the sad looking face. It would give the impression of a wider body. A bit like why horizontal stripes on a shirt makes you look fatter.

anthony myrick likes this.
  12. thought about something like this
    stacked hl.jpg

13. Looks like we may have a little corporate sponsorship/support on the van
    Still finalizing some details, but a wheel mfg may be wanting to use this for some advertising and also to support tech schools. Not going to name any names until we work it out.
    The van was born with 19.5 wheels and smaller 15 and 16 inch wheels look lost to me. So we’re plan to run something closer to the original size.
    Hopefully painted steel with OE caps.

14. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Love your work. Good to know there are some great teachers out there.

15. I wouldn’t use the word “great”.
    Unorthodox fits better
    Thanks

jnaki, R A Wrench, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.
  16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

57 IH truck headlight bezels ? Great project to teach with .

17. 65DCDB6E-1CB7-406A-B60D-13E6CA5211D7.jpeg Making some progress
    DDD86A97-9FC1-497B-B32A-B77B0018B00D.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  18. F17F2F72-154C-4FE5-A5E2-86569C7635F1.jpeg
    Well we shoved a 472 in it for now.

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Plenny a room for that, looks like. Is it at installed height?

20. Need to raise up the trans a little.
    Will probably move it forward an inch as well. But that is close on the height
    The crank pulley is right at the axle centerline. Should balance out good for autocross racing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  21. Might not have to plumb a heater. Could just open up the dog house in the winter.

OahuEli and pcbart like this.
  22. I just went through the postings. such a neat project. I am a big fan of old Postal vehicles. I have collected in all scales over 250 Postal truck models . So I looked and found what I believe to be a tin model of what you are restoring . I am not good with picture posting so I can send a picture to you or rely on a friend to help. I retired last year from the USPS after 46 years with them. My last 30 was in the body shop. When I first went to the shop in the corner doubling as a shelf and dust collector was a 1929 Ford AA original postal truck . I couldn't believe the neglect. One of my best memories was being chosen to drive that truck in a parade. It was gobbled up from us by the main offices in DC and I last saw it in President Bush's inaugural parade. At least it is being preserved. Working as you do with the youngwer generation is to be commended. looking forward to tuning into the build.

23. Thanks.
    Part of our plan is to “restore” the postal service paint scheme.
    Meaning a preservation of existing “patina” while making some changes.
    This isn’t popular with some but if we were to attempt to paint it for a show type finish, most of the exterior metal would have to be replaced.
    The bottom was blue, a red stripe in the center with a white top. US Postal Service with a serial number was painted on each side.
    After we stuffed the 472 in it Friday, our automotive instructor said “ if it fits, it ships”.

lothiandon1940 and OahuEli like this.
  24. Here is an advertisement showing the original paint scheme.
    F67C5EFE-08E5-4998-9BB5-CAD1379890E6.jpeg

25. If you send me an email through pm I'll forward the picture of the tin model.

26. Here is one found online.
    F4D2BB4E-A1E5-473B-B703-6ADC088622C5.jpeg
    This one was at the scrap yard I bought mine from.
    25465512-EDD2-4823-B8AA-CCCB552CCA68.jpeg
    Supposedly there is another one close by. Trying to contact the property owner.

VANDENPLAS and Peanut 1959 like this.
  27. MPegan

MPegan

Awesome thread and awesome project, just read through it all. I have one too that I've been working on for a few years.

Mine is a 1958 that was a mail truck in rural Nebraska. I swapped the body onto a 1999 Tahoe chassis with a 2005 Tahoe motor (5.3 LS). Lowered 4/6 static drop with 20" wheels.

Still a ton to do, but mechanically it's sound. Drove it from Phoenix to Vegas last year for a car show.

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS, Lepus and anthony myrick like this.
  28. MPegan

MPegan

29. Lucas Stewart

Lucas Stewart

Glad I finally found someone else that is working on these old postal vans. I have a 1956 Chevy 3442 that was abandoned years ago (30+). It's amazing how well the steel body and framing has held up over the years. It's missing the front grill. Does anyone have a resource for one, or can you provide me with some measurements so that I can build one?

30. I can get some measurements if I can remember to do that tomorrow when Im back at school
    it would be a simple grill to build

chryslerfan55 and Peanut 1959 like this.