Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone going South

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigmac48, Feb 19, 2020.

1. 5window

5window

March weather for Henderson,TN looks like highs in the mid 50's-low 60's, but the lows are all in the 30's. If you drive, take a sleeping bag, water, flashlight and an extra cell phone battery.

47ragtop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dennis, After reading your PM,
    I realized that your circumstances are different than mine. I re-read my last post and I seem to have come off like a jerk or a cheerleader. I'm not sure
    which and more than likely a lot of both.
    It's your car and you do what you need to with it.
    My apologies for my rant. Alan

3. 5window

5window

Let me strengthen this a bit.
    You can drive yourself and it might be fine or you might be sorry. Fine saves you money and it was a fun experience. Sorry means time, money,breakage, repairs, who knows what else. Plus, I'm 71 also and while in fine health, that would be a lot of driving-especially if you are holding down your speed. (Perhaps a good thing if you have Yankee plates driving in the South. :) ). If you call Bill (see above) you absolutely won't be disappointed. At least consider shipping it down, then maybe a road test coming home later in the spring.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  4. ............Big thumbs up to you , Alan, for a well said post.

5. primed34

primed34

If I had a pickup like that I would be getting a trailer hitch and calling U Haul. They have some nice trailers. Henderson is about 30 miles off I 40. Divided 4 lane if you get off at Jackson, Tenn. Weather can get a little dicey around here in March. Everything from snow and ice to tornadoes to short sleeve weather.

6. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Thanks guys , Alan , didn't consider it a rant just wanted to let you know my concerns ,circumstance .Apology not necessary but I appreciate it. South cross offered his services and offered to help anyway he can I thank him for that .am working towards a hitch and trailer

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    47ragtop, alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Safe travels whatever route you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

Awwwwwwwww go ahead and drive it!
    Nobody sez you have to make it in one day.......Take a buddy for company........have a buddy follow you and make it a road trip.....get AAA and a cell phone and UR home free!
    I drove my 66 (off topic) pony car to Okla....Texas (twice) Ill (twice) Nashville...St Louis... all over and we're the same age!
    Drive during the daylight and motel at night.
    Last resort take the wife (wear ear plugs)
    6sally6

alanp561 likes this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I came up with Option 4 here depending on how great a deal you're getting in TN.

Option 1; Drive the car)1700 highway miles on that flatty would concern me. Figure 3 days drive each way solo. Maybe 2 days with a co pilot, but you can't push the car too long w/o a break.

Option 2; Trailer it) Trailer it with the F 350.

Option 3; Hire a transporter) Add up your fuel, meal and Motel costs on the road from option #2, then compare to a transport bid to see what the net difference is for you doing the work.

Are you staying in a Motel the 10 days also or w/ family/friends? That's a huge factor.

Option 4; Get the work done close to home) I'm assuming you're taking the car this far for the upgrades because you love the shop or a friend is making you a hell of a deal?
    Take the cost of the TN upgrades and add the cost of option 1, 2 or 3. Compare the total to local bids.

47ragtop and 5window like this.
  10. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I have almost the same truck,it pulls a 32 foot gooseneck enclosed car trailer with a 5000 pound caddy in it like there is nothing there at all,these trucks are unreal for towing.If you rent a U-haul trailer you can rent it one way.leave it there when you are done,when its time to come home you just book it for one way,it saves dragging it back and forth each time,i have done it before.They are reasonably priced too,i paid 100.00 for 3 days,only used it for 1,got a discount for returning it early too.Take your time,youll have fun. Harvey

11. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Nice car bro!...I got nothing that hasn't already been touched on as far as the trip is concerned.....but I do like the wheels red!.....DAMN she's sweet!.....makes me want to drag out my old 39 Tudor that has been hibernating for 31 years now!!.....

12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Im with rent a trailer one way ,exercise the 350 and enjoy a comfortable journey. Can also leave your rig there and fly home for the ten days. whatever way you choose have fun.

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

"Should I drive
    Or should I haul?
    Will I fly
    Or will I fall?
    I want to get down to Tennessee,
    Don't want no news coverage about me!"

Second verse pending...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  14. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Amen to that , no news coverage for sure . Not a super deal but super experienced shop owner . Had one attempt closer wasn't completely satisfied , King ford thank you red wheels been gone for a while , waiting to change my avatar .My car and th black one what I'm working towards .

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  15. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Iv'e gone south so many time I lost count,LOL

lothiandon1940 and 5window like this.
  16. 5window

5window

If you're driving and towing, please make sure you have coverage on everything-what you're towing with as well as what you are towing. Insurance surprises are never really fun.

17. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

18. 47ragtop

47ragtop

19. Good job, Bill. Dennis, your '40 is going to look so good when you get it back from Dale's, I know that I will be jealous...................Don.:D;)

47ragtop and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  20. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg 20200623_102125.jpg Back from weedetr .Dale's work was great all the upgrades worth the wait and money well spent .couldn't be happier .yesterday wife and I did almost 200 miles round trip most back roads but what a difference ,stance is what I was going for ,handles great with new 525 box cruises straight, new rear ratio. ,upgraded front brakes.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    loudbang, harpo1313, wraymen and 10 others like this.
  21. It's official, Dennis. I'm jealous! The '40 looks great. 20200623_102125.jpg

22. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Thanks Don,I'm lovin it ! Also thanks to Bill at Bill's auto works for the great job getting my 40 down and back when he said and safe and sound !!!!

23. I know we had talked about you getting this done a few times. Looks like you found very capable people to transport your '40 as well as accomplish the transformation. Happy cruising.:)

wraymen and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

@Bigmac48
    You have a beautiful sedan, definitely has “the look” :cool:

Bigmac48, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I love a happy outcome , sweet 40.

26. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

27. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Was just re-reading my post from Feb. 2020 ,enjoyed the back and forth ,comments and suggestions from fellow members . As you know I had my 40 transported to and from Dales shop " weedet'r " in Tenn. As mentioned couldn't be happier with the transformation of my 40 and Bill's excellent handling of it down and back . Well I missed the opportunity of the adventure of that trip but made up for it with my drive in Sept. trip from my home in Md to Craine Mo. A little over 1000 miles one way . So close to 21000 miles round trip .Ol Girl ran and handled fine Prayed the whole way ! Anyway 1st time I ever considered and followed thru with a trip of that distance in the oldest car I've ever owned . Had a ball ,enjoyed the adventures, met a lotta guys on the hamb including Brett chrismer who put the 40 show on and even met Roger Ward the owner of the beautiful black 40 I was trying to emulate . That's it !!! 2100 miles under my belt, what's next ? Not sure but need the Ol Girl to last my lifetime but the roads looks pretty good thru the glass of a 40 ford !

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great teamwork and jobs well done by Dale and Bill! The Sedan looks great! They all look great. I love 40's.