Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. The less NCRS points, most likely the more badass it is!

31hotrodguy, Deuces, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  2. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

I put on some half moon chrome covers on my headlights for the old school look for racing this year.
    jp

Attached Files:

1947knuck, Deuces, mkebaird and 6 others like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

4. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I run those on one of my 65 Plymouth’s.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jackal396 and loudbang like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

6. rooman

rooman

The Penske L-88 car driven by Dick Gulstrand, George Wintersteen, and Ben Moore at Daytona in 1966. The car also raced at Sebring and won the GT class at both events. It was sold to Joe Welch after the Sebring event.

Roo

7. ^That hood scoop says cross ram^.

8. I thought it was Never Can Remember Stuff. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

You know I just love looking at all these old photo's of people modifying, racing, hot rodding, slogging to work, pulling trailers and just generally using and abusing their Corvettes. It's a shame that nowadays they get bagged on as only belonging to "gold chainers". I wish more people really knew the history of these cars. What an awesome "marque" they've been! And really continue to be so. Long live the Corvette!

10. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

The Penske car was red at Daytona and blue here at Sebring. These were the first two Penske racing entries ever.

loudbang, enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

[​IMG]

12. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

[​IMG]

13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

these are so cool.

14. rooman

rooman

Here is it at Daytona with some history (although as we know it was actually painted blue before Sebring)
    [​IMG]
    And as it is now
    [​IMG]
    Roo

15. Boodlum

Boodlum

That car was not a Grand Sport.
    Roger Penske co-drove 1964 Sebring with Jim Hall (re Chaparral cars) in Hall's white Grand Sport Corvette. Penske MAY have later purchased Hall's white GS.
    Delmo Johnson/Dave Morgan blue Grand Sport and Hall/Penske white GS depicted at Sebring 1964.
    (Three of the original five Grand Sport Corvettes came to Dallas - Johnson, Hall and Ed Sevadjian)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  16. rooman

rooman

None of us ever suggested that it was

Roo

enloe likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

18. Boodlum

Boodlum

I'm not certain which Grand Sport was owned by Roger Penske. There's a photo of Penske outside Dick Guldstrand's shop standing by a roadster Grand Sport that was referred to as belonging to Penske. That would make the car one of the first two GS's obtained from Chevrolet and NOT the ex-Hall GS. The first two GS went to George Wintersteen and Dr. Dick Thompson. Those two were later recalled to Chevrolet R&D by Duntov himself, had their roofs removed and small block engines swapped to big-block Chevrolet engines. Around 1972 I worked on one of those two roadster GS at Lee Miller's Austin shop called Performance Incorporated on North Lamar. Cannot remember seeing the chassis number of that car.

ETA: Here's a photo taken at Nassau Speed Week in 1963. l/r John Mecom Jr., Augie Pabst, Roger Penske, Dr. Dick Thompson and Jim Hall leaning on one of Mecom's GS Corvettes. Word back then was John Mecom paid for ALL FIVE Grand Sports to get them out of Chevrolet R&D before GM crushed them.
    [​IMG]

There will never again be another organization like Mecom Racing. Absolutely amazing.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Deuces, UNCLECHET, elgringo71 and 3 others like this.
  19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

65pacecar, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I totally agree! I was brought home from the hospital in an OT 60’s corvette that had been raced, driven daily and hot rodded. Took my first trip down the drag strip as a teenager sitting passenger in a “stock” injected 57 - ran 13.90 with slicks. I bought my first and only corvette at 22 yrs old while in the Navy. OT red 60’s coupe, 427 car with Richmond 5 spd, side pipes, slotted mags and fender flares. Loved it! I recently mentioned to a friend that im trying to buy another and he responded “I’ve never liked corvettes, I’d rather have a camaro, corvettes are old man cars.” Ouch!
    Currently have plans to save for a 61-62 and set it up like a road race car. Stock has just never been part of the plan! IMG_3657.JPG IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5717.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. noboD

noboD

The white roadster is now owned by Simeone Museum in Philley. I have touched it and heard it make noise, still has a BB in it. Winterstein said his big regret was not buying it from Penske for I think $10,000 at one time.

22. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

"What other people think" has never been a very reliable barometer for my personal satisfaction quotient. Corvettes grabbed my attention when, in 1953, as a high school freshman, I stood outside the window of the local Chevrolet dealer in my essentially rural hometown gaped at the one in his showroom. No one ever stepped up to own that one locally but I never forgot how it looked in the midst of the other '53 Chevrolets in that showroom, now, over sixty-five years later, I'm cruising in my sixth plastic-fantastic and driving this one is just as gratifying as was the first one (in 1961). I've raced some of them and driven across country in others. Either way, it suits my preference and that's all that matters.

The fact that "old men" buy Corvettes is to our advantage. They sometimes end up in estate sales such as the one I bought a couple of years ago, thirteen years old with less than 30,000 miles on the odometer. They can be bought for less than the price of a year-old Camaro and when equipped with A/C, Z51 suspension, an LS motor, "heads-up" instrumentation plus the rest of the bells and whistles, there's no comparison for a gearhead. A Corvette will always be a Corvette just the way a year-old import or a "lookalike" Tic Tac domestic car will only be a used car.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

23. atch

atch

Wish I had pix, but I don't. So this is just a comment.

Many years ago my then wife and I had a '66 roadster (typical 327/4-sp/both tops/etc.), Clarence, and a '66 BSA cycle. The wife drove the Vette to work and I drove Clarence or rode the Beezer. We had no other vehicles.

I still have Clarence (avatar) and the BSA. The wife and Vette are gone. Sure miss the Corvette.

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. loudbang

loudbang

26. logic2

logic2

65 Big Block Road Racer (L78) - 496 - 5 Speed
    Lacquer paint from 1970 still on the car.
    Original Drivetrain (396 / 4-speed) sittin in the corner
    IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Went to the gym yesterday evening. It was high 50s and sunny. This is on the way home. I accidentally put this in the Corvette Gassers thread. Today it has been snowing off and on. Sunday it is supposed to be 60.
    1ECFBC17-4320-4275-846E-C7755DC14296.jpeg