Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Upholstery questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatheadjohn47, Feb 18, 2020.

1. 04F621AF-1A06-436E-82EC-40D89C8AECF0.jpeg 7458B9E3-7C61-433D-AD88-9E17F68633E3.jpeg 7D29338D-8C28-4372-BDD9-356F1CAFC587.jpeg 04F621AF-1A06-436E-82EC-40D89C8AECF0.jpeg Seat is done and looks good with 2 in vertical pleats on seated area and back(pumpkin colored vinyl). What type of wood base is used for the door panels? What is best thickness1/8–3/16–1/4. The door panels attach to the door via “plastic trees” that when pushed in the multiple 1/4 in holes already drilled expand and make removal difficult. The doors have approx 10 1/4 in holes on each of the 4sides of the base,but probably will use only 5-6 of the pre-drilled holes from Henry on my 32 cabriolet. How is the completed door panel(base) fastened to the 27 in square door panel of 2 in pleated upholstery? Yes, the ugly greenish-yellow Black is gone and car is now a very light greenish color(called SAGE). Once all the pieces are assembled, it’s picture time. ThanksJohn in s.Texas. Flatheads Forever!

catdad49, dana barlow and Dave Mc like this.
  2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Lumber yard sells Door Skins , like would be used on Sliding closet doors . is what I used on my Caddy , also on my 48 Ford. They come in 4' x 8' or 4' x 7' sheets .

3. I use this stuff. Cuts easy, not too thick. Screenshot_20200218-190409_Samsung Internet.jpg

thegreenbuzzer likes this.
  4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

94BCC156-DB92-4A46-A69C-7F4946F512F0.jpeg
    I used 1/8 inch plywood, but a lot of guys used water proof cardboard ( can’t remember the right name) or plastic. Then glue and staples hold the fabric to the backer

woody45 likes this.

5. I don't care for the plastic type either. The metal spring fasteners are easy enough to push in, then pull out later. There are various styles for under the upholstery and the button heads that show outside the upholstery. clip 1.jpg clip 2.jpg

6. I got a few ideas from watching a Hagan promotional video when I did my 64 Chev. worth a look perhaps.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  7. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I used the metal ones too, I wounding if Velcro would work I might try it sometime, anybody try it?

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  8. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Where do you get that. I’ve looked all over and haven’t been able to find it.

9. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Where do you get 1/8 plywood?

10. I get it at Lowe's, it's in the plywood aisle, but the store i go to calls it utility board. And it's about $7 a sheet. The Lowe's in the town i work in doesn't carry it

11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I got mine from a customer for free. They get it in over seas containers on top of pallets when they decked, they just toss them out. You could check c/l for company’s giving free pallets and Dunnage.

12. I have seen Masonite used before. Like the peg board less the holes. I'm getting ready to do my Ford.. thinking about it... and may have found someone on eBay that sells the boards to fit a bunch of cars.

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The 1/8 sheets are underlayment called luan and can be brought at homedepot or your local lumber supply. You can also find Panel board online and would be more waterproof then the luan. Plus you can also buy the thin 1/8 or 1/4 foam you install over the luan/ panel board .
    A tip I learned from Sid Carvers teaching video on upholstery is to use and tape a clear piece of plastic over the door. This way you can mark all the holes needed for the panel clips and door and window handles. So mark and cut the plastic to match the panel you need and will have a perfect template for the door panel.
    I cut the panel and use both metal and plastic clips and test for size. Then spray the door panel (luan) with the clips installed and spray the thin foam panel . This will give you a smooth panel when they get placed on top of each other.
    At that time you will see the clips have raised the foam and can sand them smooth before you install you upholstery.

kevinrevin likes this.
  15. unfinished

unfinished

If you can find a supplier that sells ABS plastic in sheets (4 x 10) it works pretty easily. There is one I use in Gallatin Tn. but cannot remember the name of the company. If you use wood my uncle does upholstery and he has me either polyurethane the board or you can glue plastic (like drop clothes) to the backside to prevent warping. Depends on how much your car will be driven and caught in rain. Then again, you might prefer to be a warped individual.

Driver50x and continentaljohn like this.
  16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have used the ABS plastic sheets and got them at the local sign store...

17. I just picked up a 4' X 8' sheet of 0.060 ABS plastic for a Vacuum-forming project for $35 to give you a price reference.

continentaljohn likes this.
  18. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Great information door panels are not that hard, and if you are not careful you could learn something!

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Flat black where did you find such a sheet local?:D

20. A company called ACI plastics and manufacturing in West Chicago. They are a big place with multiple locations, their web site says Addison, but hey moved to West Chicago. I pass by it on my way to work.

21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thanks Tyler I no longer have a source as we had a sign company next to the old shop and got there scraps..

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've posted this before but here is a tip I got from my upholsterer buddy. He had a contract with the city's transit system for repairing damaged bus seats and noticed the slide in advertising signs on the outside of the bus. They had old ones that were no longer used. Perfect plastic panels for door panels. I went to transit and they even gave them to me for free. Here is a picture of the in my car. Notice the advertising. All those white panels used are this. IMG_1153.JPG

23. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I got most of my stuff from a local upholstery supply called Midwest Fabrics. They had waterproof panel board so that's what I used for the door and kick panels. It was easy enough to work with...
    doordone.JPG

reagen likes this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I use waterproof panel board. Been using it for 30 + years. Luan board is a bit to thick. Only used plastic panels when the customer wanted to use it. Different kinds and thickness were used, some kinda didn`t work to well as they were to thick and didn`t want to bend (even with heat) or cracked when stapled into. Which shouldn`t happen. I use these clips, you can replace then easily. The ones above, not so much. Scan0904.jpg

25. brady1929

brady1929

Thanks for all the great information.

weps likes this.
  26. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Some one a few years back suggested a material he got at home improvement stores. It was used to separate bundles of sheet goods on pallets. Like if aload was made up of 5 bundles of 20 sheets, this stuff was between the bundles. Thin fiber board stuff the usually tossed out. Said it was easy to cut and could be wetted and curved and then when it dried it would hold the curve. So good for pick up cab headliner panels. Was probably 5 plus years ago so maybe not used any more but might be worth an ask next time you need Chinese nuts and bolts.

28. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Great info, thanks for posting, my Interior is next on the project list

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 1/8” wood paneling was once called Luan...used it many times. Now I use a black thick card board I buy at an upholstery supply.